NGD - F-45ce

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Most of you know the story from the Reverb post; this is an ‘87 F-45ce that was listed at a very low price, then reduced even more, leaving me no choice but to buy it. After waiting for New Year’s closings, and another week so he could ship on a Monday, it got delivered Wednesday. I left it overnight in the box in the office for the obligatory (and torturous) Winter acclimation. Broke it open Thursday and found almost everything as advertised.
Scale is, as I thought and hoped, 24-3/4” with a lovely skinny 1-5/8” nut. Perfect for my taste (and hand), contrary to current Guild management. Strings were nicely old and crusty, but it still felt great to play. Her I discovered the first little issue; the binding on the neck near the nut had come loose. An easy fix, no need to make a fuss. I plugged it in to test the electronics, and everything worked perfectly. Classic ‘80s Fishman; not spectacular, but in a band situation (which is where I’ll be playing it most), no one’s going to complain. Acoustically, it sounds pretty darned good, having a 4-1/2” body depth, rather than the shallow F4ce (for example) which sounds like poop.
Today I got the binding glued back and put new strings on, and found another minor issue: a crack coming off one side of the fingerboard into the soundhole. It doesn’t really affect anything, and being on the cutaway side, I don’t think it’s going to be a worry. For the price I paid, it’s not worth making a stink.
The non-Guild applause (by Ovation) case is a piece of junk. Aside from the disclosed broken latch, it’s a little too deep, and the other latches barely work. I have a Guardian case coming in that should work. (What is with case manufacturers and retailers these days?!? Why can’t they list the case dimensions? Guardian was the only one that actually provides a chart for their cases. TKL has bupkis.)

Its very easy to play, fits my hand even better than my F-30. I think I’ll keep it for now. I was going to post a video, but managed to skewer my fingering finger trying to unwind the old strings off the tuners. No pics either, for now, it’s been a grey, wet, day (to be read in Sandy’s thickest ancestral brogue.) Plenty Of Pics in the seller’s ad. https://reverb.com/item/8319086-guild-f45-1987-burst-near-mint

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Most of you know the story from the Reverb post; this is an ‘87 F-45ce that was listed at a very low price, then reduced even more, leaving me no choice but to buy it. After waiting for New Year’s closings, and another week so he could shop on a Monday, it got delivered Wednesday. I left it overnight in the box in the office for the obligatory (and torturous) Winter acclimation. Broke it open Thursday and found almost everything as advertised.
Scale is, as I thought and hoped, 24-3/4” with a lovely skinny 1-5/8” nut. Perfect for my taste (and hand), contrary to current Guild management. Strings were nicely old and crusty, but it still felt great to play. Her I discovered the first little issue; the binding on the neck near the nut had come loose. An easy fix, no need to make a fuss. I plugged it in to test the electronics, and everything worked perfectly. Classic ‘80s Fishman; not spectacular, but in a band situation (which is where I’ll be playing it most), no one’s going to complain. Acoustically, it sounds pretty darned good, having a 4-1/2” body depth, rather than the shallow F4ce (for example) which sounds like poop.
Today I got the binding glued back and put new strings on, and found another minor issue: a crack coming off one side of the fingerboard into the soundhole. It doesn’t really affect anything, and being on the cutaway side, I don’t think it’s going to be a worry. For the price I paid, it’s not worth making a stink.
The non-Guild applause (by Ovation) case is a piece of junk. Aside from the disclosed broken latch, it’s a little too deep, and the other latches barely work. I have a Guardian case coming in that should work. (What is with case manufacturers and retailers these days?!? Why can’t they list the case dimensions? Guardian was the only one that actually provides a chart for their cases. TKL has bupkis.)

Its very easy to play, fits my hand even better than my F-30. I think I’ll keep it for now. I was going to post a video, but managed to skewer my fingering finger trying to unwind the old strings off the tuners. No pics either, for now, it’s been a grey, wet, day (to be read in Sandy’s thickest ancestral brogue.) Plenty Of Pics in the seller’s ad. https://reverb.com/item/8319086-guild-f45-1987-burst-near-mint

Glad that you're pleased with it (at least I think you are pleased with it). I'm in agreement with you on the narrow nut width...more comfy for me too...and short scale too....great! I wish that I could help you find an inexpensive and reliable case...I'd hate to see you spend more on the case than you did on the guitar :) I ended up getting one of those fancy new humidified Guild branded cases for the M-20 that you found for me....ended up being $99 shipped from "Music & Arts" online. Hopefully you can find something similar. Enjoy and have a great new guitar weekend.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You had the courage to "pull the trigger" and really glad its a winner. Great way to start out 2018. Guess that old F30 will be on auction block. Ha

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
(si-i-i-g-h.....)
My F40 GAS is only further inflamed by the fact they put a shortscale on an F40 sized body.
Meaning it's feasible and not contra-indicated for driving the top. (I was wondering about that recently)
At least I can take refuge in the fact that it has the 1-5/8 nut which, while live-able on my F65ce, I would really rather see with a 1-11/6 nut ala the Songbirds........and new.
I loves me my honeymoon moments, but alas it seems Cordoba has no intentions of building a genuine F40-sized body for the foreseeable future...
I really am very happy for you, I think those little F40 based c/e's are dreams to play, at least mine is.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score

Not wishing to be a Debby Downer, but I'd take a very close look at that crack with a mirror and feeler gauge under the first brace. That suggests the top is coming up or away from the brace, and there are any number of examples of oval holed models with that symptom (both of my F4CE's).
Before you know it, the other side cracks and slides into the hole. YMMV

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Chris! Glad it fits your needs sir! You got it for a hell of a price!

peashooterjw

Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out for you. I was staring hard at that price the other day, trying to come up with a reason to buy... And I definitely understand about cases; if you need something the slightest bit non-standard, it's tough going. Went through that with a GV70 recently.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Acorn! Glad it made it safe and is as described. Great Snag on that one especially at that Great Price. Sorry to hear of the skewering of the finger during the string change, It happens to all of us, LOL!

TX

swiveltung

Reaction score
Very nice! I bought an F4CE this year at a bargain price and no issues. It's very similar, but as noted only 3" thick. I like it a lot, especially plugged in on stage. It's a big guitar, but a thin one. I also prefer the longer scale which it has. Louder than I thought it would be.

Last edited:

Dadzmad

Reaction score
I have a last year Westerly production S4ce. Seasonally we have a wide swing in indoor humidity and it takes its toll. In time the binding works its way loose at the cutaway and where the neck meets the upper bout. I have it glued up professionally about every third year and consider it maintenance (costs me about 25 bucks a pop). Gives me an excuse to visit a really nice shop. You have a fine looking guitar and got it at a good price. I'm glad you like the thin neck on this line of Guilds, for me they play like butter.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Chris! I know that one wouldn't suit my fat fingers, but there's a lid for every jar. Play it in good health!

I have a NGD to get to (the 2011 D50 Standard), but it arrived with the action too low to assess how it really sounds, and is taking a trip to my luthier tomorrow. Needless to say, the weather has been far too atrocious here to get any good pictures either.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like this is gonna be a great guitar for you, Chris!! And it sure is a pretty thing. Play it in good health my friend!! :encouragement:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a NGD to get to (the 2011 D50 Standard), but it arrived with the action too low to assess how it really sounds, and is taking a trip to my luthier tomorrow.

nice, wasnt sure if Mike would be around on MLK day. I need to call him- just picked up an F-112 today that looks like its been sitting in the desert for about 50 years. need it in his hands asap.

hey Chris, congrats! but u know the rules (rule #1 actually...) pictures or it didnt happen! ( no one said they have to be good pictures!)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
nice, wasnt sure if Mike would be around on MLK day. I need to call him- just picked up an F-112 today that looks like its been sitting in the desert for about 50 years. need it in his hands asap.

Actually, we stopped by to see Mike yesterday. He tweaked the B54ce on the spot (and for free) and gave that one right back. As I thought, the D50's action was really lower than it should be, so that one stayed, along with the Martin D18DC (fret job and fretboard planing this time). The Orpheum Jumbo and the Bourgeois needed setups as well, so they are both there.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Argggggggh!
I'm on my second case to return. I got a Guardian off of Amazon that had the right dimension specs, but when it arrived, the shape was wrong. Luckily, it also arrived with a bent latch, so that was an easy return for a full refund.
I just got a Guild case delivered that I got from Reverb whose shape is right, but, despite the seller’s claims, is not deep enough by about 1/2-1”. Now to deal with him for a refund. (He made a specific claim for 4-1/2” depth, so it’s not as advertised.)

Sigh.:cower:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He’s trying to claim it is the claimed depth.

Kurt, I may need you to go whack him; he’s in your neck of the woods.

marius

Reaction score
(What is with case manufacturers and retailers these days?!? Why can’t they list the case dimensions? Guardian was the only one that actually provides a chart for their cases. TKL has bupkis.)

As in they don't have a case that fits or you can't find their dimensions? I've had good luck finding TKL interior dimensions on their site. The TKL 7816 looks like it might be a good fit although it might be too deep as well at 5.5"?.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Argggggggh!
I'm on my second case to return. I got a Guardian off of Amazon that had the right dimension specs, but when it arrived, the shape was wrong. Luckily, it also arrived with a bent latch, so that was an easy return for a full refund.
I just got a Guild case delivered that I got from Reverb whose shape is right, but, despite the seller’s claims, is not deep enough by about 1/2-1”. Now to deal with him for a refund. (He made a specific claim for 4-1/2” depth, so it’s not as advertised.)

Sigh.:cower:

Except for the potential shorter neck issue, you'd think a standard F40 case would work, unless again depth is an issue in terms of a standard case possibly being too deep?
'01 price list showed TKL C4600 for the F47, body depth for that was supposed to be 4.8"; in case TKL can suggest a modern equivalent. (Those were TKL cases)
I just don't know if your shortscale would bring the headstock into conflict with the "glovebox".

Last edited: