Martin's Standard Series Reimagined for 2018

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Well...for those of you who haven't seen this...Martin has revamped its standard series line. I predict that this move will sell a whole lot of guitars for them in 2018, however, I'm not tickled with the move to having 1 3/4" nut widths on virtually all of their guitars now. I've fallen head over heels for my little M-20 and its small/short characteristics and I had planned to gift myself a short scale small body spruce topped Martin when I find the right guitar & deal. This places me squarely in the used market...which is fine by me. As a matter of fact...I suspect that a whole lot of Martin owners will be selling their guitars to 'move up' to the new forward shifted and 1 3/4" nut models. They are playing right into my hands!....mooooooowhhhaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series-reimagined-2018/

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I predict that over the next 20 years this constant evolution in nut size will come to be known as "the Nut Width Wars" echoing Detroit's horsepower wars of the 60's.
A deadly serious game of one-upsmanship will cause nut widths to grow and exceed even those of classical guitars as manufacturers vie for bragging rights to having the biggest nuts in town.
It's the way of the world.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here at Gibson, we have the biggest nuts of all.

tommym

Reaction score
Also noticed that the string spacing at the bridge is 2 5/32" (vs the previous 2 3/16"). Guild provided the 2 5/32" string spacing on the NH F-30 and F-30R Standards too. My understanding is that this is being done to address complaints of the strings sliding off the edge of the fret board. I guess, widening the fret board and neck a wee bit would be a much more expensive alternative to resolve this issue.

Tommy

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Trucknutz."

K7R2Ljv.jpg

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Almost 12 grand for a D-42. Crazy.

No. $7300 retail..... can be had for about $4380 from mail order discount dealers. Still expensive but a long way from $12K

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the Martin Jeff Tweedy guitar is super nice. now there is a guy that knows what do with a slotted nut, no matter how wide...

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Personally, I think that most everything Martin does they do well. I've got several of their products and am very satisfied. I'm sure this offering will do well too. Curiously, the only Martin model I really ever found to be a bit iffy is their D 28 which I believe is their most popular model. I do own right now a super sweet HD 28 though that I think is a way fine guitar.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
pick up a Jeff Tweedy Mahogany top burst...you'll be done playing any other Martin OO/OM whatever... for the duration