Bluesbird Experts: What can you see here?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds great Markus! I let Hans say the final word about your S/N but I think it is 1996, I had 110 and 111 in my own serial number "database" under 1996 so far. S/N 111 was a Cherry Sunburst Bluesbird also with black pickguard and black pickup rings and uncovered SD 59's.
Maybe you might find the initials JT inside the Truss Rod cavity and inside the Potentiometer chamber, they are the initials of the person who was the neck fitter (Jeffrey Tougas). Sometimes he also wrote a date in the potentiometer chamber.
And they were simply called Bluesbird.
I don't have 1996 literature but found those two pages from the Guild Gallery Winter '97-'98:
http://musicmansteve.com/paper/images/GuildGalleryWinter97-9d.jpg
http://musicmansteve.com/paper/images/GuildGalleryWinter97-9e.jpg
I really like the early version you got with the pickguard!
Ralf

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Billy Gibbons plays with a heavy pick (or peso) and uses a very light touch. This works well with really light strings. If you play with force, as I do, a set of 7s won't last long and before they snap you'll be fretting & pulling 'em outta tune anyway. Gotta match the strings to your playing style…or adapt your style to the strings.

Josh Smith was on That Pedal Show (YouTube) yesterday. He plays mainly a Tele-style guitar strung 13–58. Yikes!

-Dave-

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Billy Gibbons plays with a heavy pick (or peso) and uses a very light touch. This works well with really light strings. If you play with force, as I do, a set of 7s won't last long and before they snap you'll be fretting & pulling 'em outta tune anyway. Gotta match the strings to your playing style…or adapt your style to the strings.

Josh Smith was on That Pedal Show (YouTube) yesterday. He plays mainly a Tele-style guitar strung 13–58. Yikes!

-Dave-

SRV played sets as heavy as 17's throughout his career but his go to set was a custom .013 -.015 -.019p or plain -.028 -.038 -.058 set that his Guitar Tech put together for him. It all depends on the player and what they are comfortable with.

By the way Markus I am jealous as that is a beautiful Bluesbird or should I say "BlackBird" you have there. I am glad you are digging the guitar and I am Really looking forward to your NGD with more Pics!

TX