Bluesbird Experts: What can you see here?

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
So Markus, I presume that you have also been looking at Marshall amps...gonna be a combo or a half stack for your apartment? :smile-new:

My thought is that a nice 18-watt combo, be it new/reissue or more better an old one...

Yeah, I know I am not helping :congratulatory:

Pascal, help him here...and don't suggest no Line 6 Pod with headphones!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
So Markus, I presume that you have also been looking at Marshall amps...gonna be a combo or a half stack for your apartment? :smile-new:

My thought is that a nice 18-watt combo, be it new/reissue or more better an old one...

Yeah, I know I am not helping :congratulatory:

Pascal, help him here...and don't suggest no Line 6 Pod with headphones!

Maybe start with this, until the budget recovers?

4f9580620baa00d04a91c7a3febbf115--guitar-amp-marshalls.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That might be a tad small. :)

I'd recommend a Class 5. Very cool little amps.

gilded

Reaction score
Markus, I have a 2000-ish Westerly Black Bluesbird, too. Let's start a sub-group: The BlackBird Brothers!

It has covers on Seymour Pickups. I like them a lot. My neck is probably bigger than yours (1.74" at the nut). The only thing I did to mine was a have a friend wire the Harness like a vintage '50s Les Paul (I'm used to a guitar that works that way and I think it makes the pickups sound better, too, but that's subjective.

I had a Gold Top Bird that belonged to our late friend David aka California. It was wonderful, early-Corona guitar, but the potentiometers were made in Mexico and didn't work well. I replaced them with new, made in USA pots and it made a big difference in the sound.

BlackBirds!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Whoo-hoo!!!! Well done bro!

OK Markus, now don't get side tracked by the "earphone-mini-amp" jokes running around here.
As Bill suggested, I'm here to help.

Here is the set up you now have to acquire (note that it will fit just fine in either your living room or that guest room where nothing ever happens:

And yes, they do come in purple:

Cant wait to see you bare-chested in your matching spandex!

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whoo-hoo!!!! Well done bro!

OK Markus, now don't get side tracked by the "earphone-mini-amp" jokes running around here.
As Bill suggested, I'm here to help.

Here is the set up you now have to acquire (note that it will fit just fine in either your living room or that guest room where nothing ever happens:

Where are the rest of them?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Markus, bro, I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do with one of those.... but I'd sure enjoy finding out, amigo!! CONGRATULATIONS!! That's just TOO AWESOME!! I'm envious right now!! YES!!! <fist pump icon> :devilish:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tom, those are the amps you need to "impress" your new neighbors!!

walrus

gilded

Reaction score
Strings on a Westerly Bluesbird with black finish and Seymour pickups? Why, that would be my area of expertise!

I use normal, run-of-the-mill D'Addario 10s. They sound good and last a long time.

I also use GHS Nickel Rockers. They have a different sound and feel. The strings seem to resonate more and have more energy than Brand D. The down side to The Rockers is that they don't last long for me, maybe two or three days.

Sometimes I wonder if I use Nickel Rockers because I only came across them after 40 years of playing Ernie Ball & D'Addario strings and the difference is intriguing.

Good luck!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh, so kind of you!
So, help me: What strings … ????

Markus :smile:
The ones on the left offer "grunge" type sound.
The ones on the right offer squeaky clean tone suitable for bubblegum music cover bands:
coated-guitar-strings.png

NOS vintage Guild strings can still be found on eBay:
images

More experienced players might have other suggestions:
index.php

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
See what you've done Markus?..... be careful mentioning strings 'round here, you turned a glorious NGD thread into a groundhog's day string thread!
OK Al: Bring the hertzian waves graphs please.

Last edited: