Bluesbird Experts: What can you see here?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Harry, what are you doing that strings only last you a couple days?

monkey-grip-logo.png

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
See what you've done Markus?..... be careful mentioning strings 'round here, you turned a glorious NGD thread into a groundhog's day string thread!
OK Al: Bring the hertzian waves graphs please.

Nope, these days I'm on a crusade to raise awareness about the hazards of using dirty old unsanitary guitar strings:

Electric-Guitar-String.-Hitachi-2460N-AccVolt-12kV-mag-80x.jpg

Closeup of the little "groove gliders" on the above string:
things-under-microscope-36.jpg

Terminal groove glider infestation:
maxresdefault.jpg

Twisted Sister only changed their strings about as often as they changed their underwear, and where are they now?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Al, you have very scientifically reinforced the decision I made years ago, to change strings every month...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

OK, joking aside, just wanted to be sure I didn't cause you to miss Harry's post?:

Strings on a Westerly Bluesbird with black finish and Seymour pickups? Why, that would be my area of expertise!

I use normal, run-of-the-mill D'Addario 10s. They sound good and last a long time.

I also use GHS Nickel Rockers. They have a different sound and feel. The strings seem to resonate more and have more energy than Brand D. The down side to The Rockers is that they don't last long for me, maybe two or three days.

Sometimes I wonder if I use Nickel Rockers because I only came across them after 40 years of playing Ernie Ball & D'Addario strings and the difference is intriguing.

Good luck!

I mean, what the heck, he's a least spoken up with specifics in his area of expertise!
:friendly_wink:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
On the Westerly BB I had, I also used D'Addario .10's, but with a wound third.

walrus

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
D'Addario EJ-16's on EVERYTHING!!!!
Will work for you Al, but you don't have electric guitars...
Bronze alloys won't work with electric pickups well, you need other alloys with magnetic properties for electric guitars! Nickel-plated steel for instance provides a bright, warm sound with excellent magnetic properties. Stainless steel provides a bright sound, while offering oxidation resistance. Chrome has a dark sound favored by jazz musicians and is commonly used in flatwound strings.
A few ideas, Harry had mentioned a few more:
https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-st...wound-electric-guitar-strings/6-string#P02221
https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-st.../slinky-cobalt-electric-guitar-strings#P02721
http://www.ghsstrings.com/products/11344-david-gilmour-signature?category_id=1964662-boomers
http://daddario.com/DADProductDetai...ame=EXL110_Nickel_Wound__Regular_Light__10_46
http://daddario.com/DADProductDetai...name=EXP110_Coated_Nickel_Wound__Light__10_46

10-46 or 11-48 or 11-50 or anything similar will drive the Bluesbird well in my opinion. Some people even go 11-52.

A funny quote from Paul McCartney regarding the string topic is here: https://www.quora.com/Which-brand-of-strings-is-best-for-Les-Paul-guitars

And congratualations to Markus for joining the Bluesbird club!

Ralf

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Billy Gibbons uses 7-38s on his Les Paul and he's got the fattest tone ever.

Use what you like.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Will work for you Al, but you don't have electric guitars...

Gosh Ralf I figured everybody'd see the joke....especially when I emphasized "Everything" like that...but now maybe I can't tell you're joking about taking me seriously?
So if one guy delivers a deadpan joke, and a second guy pretends to take him seriously, and the first guy then misunderstands the second guy, what does this bode for the prospects of world peace?

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
if one guy delivers a deadpan joke, and a second guy pretends to take him seriously, and the first guy then misunderstands the second guy, what does this bode for the prospects of world peace?

Best for world peace is to laugh at everything...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gosh Ralf I figured everybody'd see the joke...
I saw the joke but thought maybe not everybody did...And talking strings is not easy! I had no idea for instance that Billy Gibbons uses only 7-38s on his Les Paul! I wonder how many songs such extra light 7 gauge string lasts!
Ralf

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
So if one guy delivers a deadpan joke, and a second guy pretends to take him seriously, and the first guy then misunderstands the second guy, what does this bode for the prospects of world peace?

You have just summarized the root cause of many, many threads that require moderation here :) That's why I want my World Peace Commissioners sitting in the same room, at the same table with nothing to interfere with communication but the translators.

Consider looking at computer mediated communication as an interesting veer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-mediated_communication

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I saw the joke but thought maybe not everybody did...And talking strings is not easy!
Ralf

I thought that might be it, too, but it got complicated trying to ask if that's what was really going on....so I used the other reason instead.
Peace brotha!
:friendly_wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I saw the joke but thought maybe not everybody did...And talking strings is not easy! I had no idea for instance that Billy Gibbons uses only 7-38s on his Les Paul! I wonder how many songs such extra light 7 gauge string lasts!
Ralf

I'm sure Billy, being a hygienic kind of guy, changes his strings daily.
Maybe even twice.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
No NGD post yet, but I like this guitar more and more.
I just have updated my signature.
As it has no sticker: Is Bluesbird the complete designation or is there any abbreviation for color ("blk") pickups etc. missing?
Hans, as the SN is CL000110, can you tell me if it's 1996 or 1997?

And: Thank you for all the info that helped me taking the decision to buy it!

Markus :smile: