Bluesbird Experts: What can you see here?

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Bluesbird Experts,

A new ad with two guitars popped up pretty close to me yesterday:
A Bluesbird (and a Gibson Midtown);
What can you tell me about the Bluesbird from these pictures???

BBB03web.jpg
BBB04web.jpg

BBB05web.jpg
BBB06web.jpg

BBB07web.jpg

BBB01web.jpg
BBB02web.jpg

Decade/Year? Is that all original? Even the pickups? What do you think would be a good price?

Markus :smile:

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What can you tell me about the Bluesbird from these pictures???

662_1357258580.jpg

Decade/Year? Is that all original? Even the pickups? What do you think would be a good price?

Markus

Hello Markus,

That looks like a 1996 (maybe very early 1997) Bluesbird and the pickups could very well be original. Need to have a closer look to be 100% sure, but it should not alter the value in a significant way if they are not the original ones.

Since you are in Europe I would say any number close to 800 Euros would be reasonable, but if it's closer to a thousand it definitely should have an original hardshell case.

Good luck!

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you, Hans.

It comes with OHSC and the seller wants 750 Euros (about 900 USD).

I have asked the him for the SN and better pics.
What PUs are that? (Do we have a thread "Electrics and Pickups for Dummies?")

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It comes with OHSC and the seller wants 750 Euros (about 900 USD).

In the photos it looks like a black finish and that is not the most popular finish color, so I guess their asking price is really fair ( I like Black!).

I have asked the him for the SN and better pics.

Let us know what the serial number is and I should be able to tell you exactly when it was made.

What PUs are that?

If they are the originals they should be Seymour Duncan SH-1 pickups and like I said in my previous posting, they look like they could be the original ones!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

kakerlak

Reaction score
Man, that looks super clean, Markus! IIRC, only the first year or two of (new)Bluesbirds had those pickguards and the black pickup rings and knobs didn't last too much longer. (Newer ones will have cream rings and clear knobs). Those OEM Seymour Duncan '59s are such generic pickups that I'd argue that value of these guitars could easily increase if they've been replaced with a more boutique/expensive humbucker. IIRC, these early ones will also accept full size HB-1s...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That looks like a great deal! The black finish looks really nice, too - good luck!

walrus

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just as an aside,I really like the SD-1 pickups; I have them in my SF-4 and have no desire to change them.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Markus, are you going over to the dark side (electrics)? :) And, yeah, that Bluesbird *is* dark.

Boy, the reflections in those pictures seem to show that the finish is mint. Looks like a winner! Keep us posted.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Markus, are you going over to the dark side (electrics)? :)
GAS is growing! Therefore, yes, chances are, but I will have no idea of what to do with such an axe having arrived there … :))

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAS is growing! Therefore, yes, chances are, but I will have no idea of what to do with such an axe having arrived there … :))

The proper answer would be to ship it directly to me. :joyous:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seriously, though, it's funny how striking that guitar is because it's different than what I'm used to seeing in a Bluesbird.

Congrats because I know you're going to buy it.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you for your answers and opinions, but you are not helpful at all in keeping me from buying it!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Markus, If that Beautiful Black Bluesbird was Stateside I would have already paid for it and be in the process of waiting for a Big Rectangular shape Box! That guitar is Flat out Gorgeous all Blacked out. The only thing it is missing is a Red LED light sweeping back and forth just under the stop tail like the car K.I.T. from Knight Rider, LOL. Best of luck!

TX

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Markus, If that Beautiful Black Bluesbird was Stateside I would have already paid for it and be in the process of waiting for a Big Rectangular shape Box! That guitar is Flat out Gorgeous all Blacked out. The only thing it is missing is a Red LED light sweeping back and forth just under the stop tail like the car K.I.T. from Knight Rider, LOL. Best of luck!

TX

I could make that happen...