1974 Guild F50 pawnshop find

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
For those wondering if it is a Maple back or not the owner states that the back is flamed Maple in the first post.
Doh-Homer-Simpson.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the back is clearly maple, and clearly not rosewood, and the label says "F50 NT"

i hope some of you can play guitar better than you can see!

really like those coral inlays... and dude, Slash would approve (especially of the price), welcome to LTG!

Kitarkus

Reaction score
"Did I do good". LOL.

Yes....you done good. I hope that your luck continues....enjoy that guitar and the story that came along with it.

DADGAD

Reaction score
the back is clearly maple, and clearly not rosewood, and the label says "F50 NT"

i hope some of you can play guitar better than you can see!

really like those coral inlays... and dude, Slash would approve (especially of the price), welcome to LTG!

The label is pretty faded. Could is say, “F50-BLD” for blonde?

Thank you for the welcome!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The label is pretty faded. Could is say, “F50-BLD” for blonde?

Thank you for the welcome!

HI DADGAD:
IF the sides and back aren't stained, that's exactly how it would have been labeled.
If they are stained, as TXbumper mentioned was possible, it's probably "NT" (natural top) as Mavuser said, meaning it had an unstained top.
I just can't tell from the pics, the sides look dark but I'm guessing it's only because it's in the case.
And Guild's label writers were notorious for sloppy penmanship which adds to the confusion when photos are hard to make out.

Last edited:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
For those wondering if it is a Maple back or not the owner states that the back is flamed Maple in the first post.

For those of us going by the description in the other thread about this guitar, this information was not included.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For those of us going by the description in the other thread about this guitar, this information was not included.

It was, it was just wasn't in the Opening post on AGF. It was posted on the second page of the AGF thread in post #19 at 10:34am CST this morning about 2 hours before the "Unicorn" thread was posted here. Very easy to miss if like me you don't pay close attention to the extra pages much on AGF Threads.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5598138&postcount=19

TX

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations! That's a great score, even if it needs some work. I love my F50ce!

DADGAD

Reaction score
My luthier just called. I can pick it up tomorrow at noon. He says it feels great, plays great and sounds great. After I play it a bit, I’ll post more pictures.

I’ve been playing guitar for over 50 years but this is my first Guild.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My luthier just called. I can pick it up tomorrow at noon. He says it feels great, plays great and sounds great. After I play it a bit, I’ll post more pictures.

I’ve been playing guitar for over 50 years but this is my first Guild.

Awesome news! Something tells me it won't be your last Guild. Honestly you have to be very careful because it is a slippery slope with Guilds. It starts with one, and then number two comes along, and then the next thing you know they are Everywhere! Kinda like dropping water on a Gremlin. They just start popping out of the wood work. LOL. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing your thoughts on it once it is back in hand.

TX

DADGAD

Reaction score
LOL I see what you did there AcornHouse.

A couple more things about this guitar. The bridge pins have pearl or abalone inlays. Are these original? Also, the frets are very wide. Did old Guilds have large frets like that?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Bridge pins are aftermarket as most Guilds from this period had plastic pins from the factory, At least the ones I have owned have. As far as the frets are concerned those do look like the original wide frets that were used in that period. I have the same original frets on my 1971 F612 and if you don't have them filed down a bit it can be like trying to fret a squared off Street Curb! I prefer the smaller frets Guild used much later on in production but after playing the wider ones for awhile I get used to them again.

TX

DADGAD

Reaction score
Thanks, txbumper57. I really appreciate all the knowledge here.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, you've just scrapped the surface of the Guild knowledge with this group.

And now... to find a list of pawn shops in MY area, and hope some of them don't know how to value a guitar. That was a lucky find, to be sure !

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks, txbumper57. I really appreciate all the knowledge here.

No Problem DADGAD, Lots of great folks here on the forum with tons of Guild info and everyone loves helping everyone out. I have a feeling you are going to like that F50, Especially at the price you got it for. I normally see 70's F50's with the same amount of player wear yours has selling for between $1500-$2000 in great playing condition. Something you will find is Guilds are probably the best bang for the buck American made guitars out there, especially some of the Vintage ones like yours. If they had any other name on the headstock they would probably be selling for 2-3 times what they are. While that is a bit of a Drawback for collectors, It is a major plus for players who enjoy great instruments at a reasonable price.

TX