Think I’m going step up my tinkering :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't forget some of the old Harmony and Kay, USA made models. I picked up an H-162 all solid wood flattop for $100 and an N-2 archtop for $50 to just play around with and learn on. Reset the necks; refretted the N-2 as well; refinished both. For under $250 I've got a couple very playable knock around guitars.

And over on AGF one of the guys was asking about dressing the frets. One of the guys recommended Stew-Mac. One of the very experienced luthiers said "a $5 to $7 hardware store fine mill file will suffice.
YMMV

Yeah that’s a good idea , I’ve seen a few during my Goodwill searches on line.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Ray, if you like TINKERING this thread involves quite a bit of it!! This goes pretty far back, many years ago when Don built his first guitar. I kinda did a chronicle of the whole process. Think of getting a kit just starting from the beginning!! It's fun (in a tedious kinda way)!!

FUN starts HERE!!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh and I just realized that on that long thread I linked to above, I really lucked out in choosing Image Shack because if I had chosen Photobucket, all those photos would be GONE!!! What a pisser that would be!!! When I think about all the information that has been lost due to those CREEPS at photobucket......... :angry:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh and I just realized that on that long thread I linked to above, I really lucked out in choosing Image Shack because if I had chosen Photobucket, all those photos would be GONE!!! What a pisser that would be!!! When I think about all the information that has been lost due to those CREEPS at photobucket......... :angry:

Thanks , I looked over build kits plus suppressing the urge from building one scratch but I don’t have a shop so until one appears I’m kind of stuck .

I will be building Native American flutes , I started end of the summer on a proto type but got side tracked trying to finish up my recording desk nick name the forever project lol gosh do I need a shop !

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
This thread motivated me to pickup a burst DeArmond M75 from GC for $240 + tax and shipping. I needed a Goldtone humbucker for a project and decided I can use the DeA for a modification guitar.

LTG is an subliminal enabler!
M

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This thread motivated me to pickup a burst DeArmond M75 from GC for $240 + tax and shipping. I needed a Goldtone humbucker for a project and decided I can use the DeA for a modification guitar.

M
Awesome ;)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Me’s tinkering has two new saddles coming from Bob Colosi , ahhh its great to get your hands dirty thinking about shaping saddles and polishing them saying to yourself my you do good work please send me two . 😜

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Me’s tinkering has two new saddles coming from Bob Colosi , ahhh its great to get your hands dirty thinking about shaping saddles and polishing them saying to yourself my you do good work please send me two . 

If they're bone then prepare for the smell! :dread:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just go to “Members Music “ I have a few songs posted there , it links my SoundCloud page . Plenty there to listen to , about 5 minutes worth 

Howdy

Done about one hour listening your music on background while reading news. Must say, that your avatar and music do not match in my book. But do not worry - I like them both. Well recorded music, too. You must have spent some time at your studio processing and mixing. Remember - I am ex recording engineer and now retired roadie FOH-man - still doing some 25 gigs per year.

Thank you for sharing.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score

M

Don't run off in the heat of the day and start modifying too fast. I've got a blue goldtoned DeA M75 that sits right here by my chair and is right behind the '58 Capri (avatar) on the list of least likely to go anywhere.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If they're bone then prepare for the smell! :dread:

Per the norm I did not write that well lol
I ask Bob to have them ready to go I just might have to do some height adjustment .

One is for my F212xlce , I had it set up when I bought it from here from , ugh my memory is crap on names and things that’s why I made a lousy bar tender �� I’m you know the member in Florida works at the repair shop come on someone remind me it’s on the top of my tongue..... ?

Anyway my luthier did not raise it up enough for my tunings and fixing that is long over due .
I have a song I’ve wanting to record for while now and less my thousands of takes to get it worthy to post lol

Howdy

Done about one hour listening your music on background while reading news. Must say, that your avatar and music do not match in my book. But do not worry - I like them both. Well recorded music, too. You must have spent some time at your studio processing and mixing. Remember - I am ex recording engineer and now retired roadie FOH-man - still doing some 25 gigs per year.

Thank you for sharing.

Glad you liked it , yeah my pic lol hey I’m just a back yard shade tree easy going guy haha

Dress up for me is a tank top lol

Recording yeah you know what they say you can write a song in five minutes , record it in 10 , then take 3 months to mix it .

Ive put a lot of time into listening to recordings of acoustic guitars . I’ve read up on all types of mic placements , mic types , matching balanced mic sets , room acoustics etc .

I did a lot a research on mixing techniques. But in the end though all that information was beneficial it comes down to what you can afford and your own ears to make it work for you .

Being just above the poverty income level lol ( in my mind ) I learned to find what I feel is the best equipment I can afford to get , so best bang for the buck mindset.

My mic chioces might surprise you .
I still have issues with floor noise , outside noise like planes , trains and drunk lawn mowing neighbors . My home is not very sound proof my kingdom for a sound proofed recording room !!!

After all that my setup is pretty straight forward my factory preset position lol I change mics here and there . My recording room is a mess and it’s my living room! Haha

The biggest factors in my recording is noise control , quality / performance of the mics and most important is the quality of the guitar .

Pro studios can make a plastic guitar sound pretty good not so in the home studio setup .

The last important factors are a good Pc powerful enough to handle the Daw your using and all the plugins you might need to run .

My Daw is propeller head Reason . That was my choice because it was originally a keyboard based Daw more for club, house , techno type music . No I don’t play that stuff but I wanted a daw that had everything a keyboardist wanted built in .

I’m not great keys but I do love newage music like Steve Roach , Michael Sterns etc or atmospheric type music , hence the few songs I wrote like smooth storm or Oceanic dreams and some fun stuff like mission mars lol still love that one but rough . Some this songs are some years old lol when I was not so good at the detail of the mix and playing or should caring so much about how I was playing . Lol

I’ll post some pics but you end saying dang dude you need a house cleaner lol I was going say wife but that’s politically incorrect these days haha .
I'm using the MXL which is a awesome cheap mic along side the Mononprice mic by doing this i am going against the preferred matched mic sets which many say you should have.
i do have 2 of the monoprice lollipops in the vid below.

y8fiV6K.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Quite seriously and sincerely, that's a great business name!
:friendly_wink:
Yeah lol I like saying it like it’s nit the first I used that ! Me’s think lmao