how do you humidify an archtop?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Dunno about urethane but polyester can check and even crack. I've got a '78 Tele Thinline with crazy checking patterns to prove it!

-Dave-

Reaction score
In my case I think I'm a lacky one, because some month ago I decided to buy a big humidifier for my house, and only after my purchaise, I realized, this device is also usefull for my guitar. I can reccomend you to buy a big humidifier with filters and place it in the room ith your guitar. But the point is that the level of humidity should medium all the time, not more than 50%. Fortunately tores offer us lots of different types of humidifiers, so you may choose any. I have AIRCARE MA1201, it's the first here, and I'm pretty happy with it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Dunno about urethane but polyester can check and even crack. I've got a '78 Tele Thinline with crazy checking patterns to prove it!

-Dave-
OK you got my curiosity up...are you sure it's not one because it's a polyester base with a nitro topcoat?
Found this statement with somebody who seems to have some pretty strong creds, from post #2, here:
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/anyone-know-when-fender-started-using-poly.71927/

"I'd like to make one thing clear... ALL FENDER GUITARS PRODUCED AFTER 1968 HAD A POLYESTER UNDERCOAT WITH A LACQUER TOPCOAT!!! There is no specific ratio. Enough poly was, and is sprayed to properly fill the grain while preventing a burn through while sanding."

:friendly_wink:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
OK you got my curiosity up...are you sure it's not one because it's a polyester base with a nitro topcoat?
Found this statement with somebody who seems to have some pretty strong creds, from post #2, here:
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/anyone-know-when-fender-started-using-poly.71927/

"I'd like to make one thing clear... ALL FENDER GUITARS PRODUCED AFTER 1968 HAD A POLYESTER UNDERCOAT WITH A LACQUER TOPCOAT!!! There is no specific ratio. Enough poly was, and is sprayed to properly fill the grain while preventing a burn through while sanding."

:friendly_wink:

I guess this could be right…just assumed the finish was all poly based on various books & articles stating this. S'pose I could actually test once I haul the Thinline out of storage. :) (I store most of my fav guitars when I'm traveling a lot, but do keep some of 'em at home throughout the winter due to better humidity control.)

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I guess this could be right…just assumed the finish was all poly based on various books & articles stating this. S'pose I could actually test once I haul the Thinline out of storage. :) (I store most of my fav guitars when I'm traveling a lot, but do keep some of 'em at home throughout the winter due to better humidity control.)

-Dave-

's ok.
I started that search by googling "thinline Telecaster" and the first hit I looked at was actually pretty interesting!
https://www.12fret.com/instruments/fender-telecaster-thinline-natural-1978/
:smile:
Oh, ps, for testing, NC actually fluoresces under UV.
I assume it would still do it even if sprayed over a poly base coat.

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The worst is probably rapid changes between too damp and too dry. I'm pretty religious about sponges (Trader Joe's natural pop up sponges online) in the cases, all acoustics are always in their humidified case. However for years I didn't even think about it (my D28 for instance) and never a single crack anywhere even though summers are hot here, and winters are cold and wood is our only source of heat. However, if you keep a pot of water on the stove all the time like we do, there's enough humidity in the air to keep things from getting too dry.

I remember calling Gibson years ago to ask them just how hot a Les Paul can get in a car before bad things happen and what they said was "if you're comfortable, it's comfortable." If you couldn't handle it, then your guitar's not happy either. When it comes to cold though, not much can phase some of the older guitars like the '66 SG Jr. I'd leave in my car in any winter weather without hesitation. They just get a little "crazier" with age, like us ;)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
But the point is that the level of humidity should medium all the time, not more than 50%.

This is a good point. This past summer was quite humid in my locale, and as a result my house humidity topped 55% for a long stretch. (I could've set the thermostat lower to counteract this but I prefer things a touch on the warm side.) I kept my acoustics in their cases during this period but had an Ibanez AS-50 (335-ish semi-hollow electric) handy, uncased, for idle noodling. After a few weeks of this the AS-50 starting buzzing on the low E & A strings at lower frets. Checked the neck relief and bridge height…both seemed fine. So I put the guitar back in its case. Six weeks later, after outside temps and indoor humidity had dropped, I gave the AS-50 another spin. All is well with it again.

-Dave-