What Distracts GAD from Guilds

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
First, a story.

In 2008 I bought this guitar. It is a Jackson Import SL2H special edition for Sam Ash. It is my favorite guitar of all time because it does everything perfectly. It fits me, it plays great and it feels just perfect in my hands. I love it to death and it is the guitar that is hanging on the wall always within arm's reach. It's the first guitar I grab when I'm figuring out a new song and it's the one that feels like home.

The pickups and electronics have long ago been swapped out.
B0Z3776-CropAlt_800-1024x400.jpg

The problem is that it's an import Jackson which means it's got Rosewood fretboard, plastic inlays, a cheap import Floyd, lame pickups, and crappy electronics. But the guitar itself is amazing. I've wanted a US-made version with all the high-end aspects that go with it forever and even went so far as to contact the Jackson custom shop to make me one (they ignored me).

To try and quench my desire I've bought a number of US-made Jacksons over the years. You can read about one here: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/06/22/a-tale-of-two-jacksons/ None of them were the right fit, though. The arched up on this thing is just killer and happens to be what made me want a Guild Liberator Elite so much! As you know, that one didn't quite pan out, either.

At one point I even had a Custom Shop tiger stripe Jackson (#9 of 10) that was an *amazing* guitar but it just didn't feel like my blue import. This is that CS Jackson. Also for those who know who he is, yes I love George Lynch.

_B0Z3643_800.jpg

A few years ago I discovered that almost 20 years before my import Sam Ash edition was made, Jackson made a line of Import guitars that were so amazing that they supposedly took business away from the US-made and even custom shop guitars. Jackson cancelled the line because that's not really a great business model and after about three years they were no more. This is the coveted 1990-1992 Jackson Professional line and I've hunted for one for probably five years. Maybe more. All I've seen are pictures and one has never come up for sale. Until just before New Years. On Friday, I finally got my hands on one:

1991-Jackson-Professional-Soloist-Pro-TopFull.jpg

I had hoped that this guitar would be similar enough to make me happy but it's exceeded my greatest expectations. For all intents and purposes, it IS the same guitar, only made with top-shelf components. It's heavier because it's real mahogany and maple (the blue one is a photo flame so it's MUCH lighter - probably poplar), and has real MOP inlays on a real ebony board and plays like a million bucks. Two million even!
1991-Jackson-Professional-Soloist-Pro-Top.jpg

FWIW The pickups on this one (EMG 81/85) are not original and I may replace them. The pickups in my blue Jackson are boutique WCRs and I may have him make me a set for this one.

Also, in a bit of weirdness, the next serial number in line to this one is currently on sale on eBay and I may even buy it. What's holding me back is the giant gouge in the bottom (ugh) which I think should lower the price by a few hundred bucks but the seller doesn't seem to agree. These things are so freaking rare, though, that I may just cave.

So, now you know what will make me look away from my Guilds. :single_eye:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

We call those guitars "cake spoons" because of the headstock shape - do you ?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! That maple is incredible!! Congrats on finding your dream Jackson, GAD. And good luck on the other one too! :encouragement: Is it weird that sometime the fretboard inlays go one way, and sometimes they go the other way? It made me look a couple of times......

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

We call those guitars "cake spoons" because of the headstock shape - do you ?

I've never heard the term "cake spoon". Edit - I think I see what you mean, though.

In Guild terms that design is generally called "Offset" IIRC. Ted Beesly calls it "pointy droopy" on Guilds. On a Jackson I tend to just call it "Jackson" because that's the first place I encountered it and I think it looks right on a Jackson.

We tend to call this Guild headstock the "cake knife", though:

1988-Guild-Liberator-Elite-HEadstockAngle2.jpg

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! That maple is incredible!! Congrats on finding your dream Jackson, GAD. And good luck on the other one too! :encouragement: Is it weird that sometime the fretboard inlays go one way, and sometimes they go the other way? It made me look a couple of times......

Thanks! The inlays on the blue and tiger stripe Jacksons are called "Sharkfin". The ones on the Pro are called "Reverse Sharkfin". If you think it's weird to have them reversed, check out this one:

Jackson-Alternating-Sharkfin-Inlays.jpg

I like to say that the inlays are for the audience because if you're looking at them while playing then you're doing it wrong. :joyous:

Note that the root beer Jackson also has a reverse headstock. That's where I draw the line. LOL.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
There is nothing better than finding a guitar that feels like it was made for 'you'. You are lucky to have found a model that you love....and even luckier to be able to find fresh examples of them for your stable. You probably should buy that one on Ebay....as you'll likely regret passing on it later.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Those "mixed direction" inlays make me dizzy, but it's a cool guitar! I see a lot of Jackson's watching VH-1 Classic '80's and 90's rock videos at night!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whelp, I bought the other one. Like I need another guitar.

I'm supposed to be finishing up a bunch of reviews this weekend so that I could sell off some of these Guilds but dammit I spent too much time fondling and dealing with Jacksons. Yeah, tough problem to have. :joyous: