Gibson not attending NAMM 2018

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a long time fan of Gibsons, both electrics & acoustics, and love the ones I've got. But I thought it was a bad sign when Henry let Ren walk away to join Fender/Guild. Seems like an unending number of bad decisions have followed.

If you're not willing to do what it takes to retain good people, you're going to pay for it down the road.

Agreed. Ren was the main reason for Gibson's success, at least with the acoustics. And just so everyone doesn't think I'm a hater, I do have a Gibson that I love. A decidedly unblingy WM45 that Ren himself called "the most intelligent Gibson you can buy".

12461590394_c6382aa734_b.jpg

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I agree Sandy. I've owned 2 of these over the years (none at the moment) and they are a great sounding guitar at a really good price point.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, Henry has said repeatedly that he wants Gibson to be a lifestyle company, not a guitar manufacturer, so this seems to fit right in with that thinking.
I love my ‘69 LP GT. It’s sad to see what Gibson has become today. Poor quality, high cost and unhappy employees.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I only own one Gibson at the moment: a 1955 GA-9 amp.

I think that gives me plenty of seperation with the current management.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gibson just posted, on FB, a pic from last year’s CES, talking about how excited they are for this year’s.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i like Gibsons, have a few electrics and a fan of the acoustics, generally.

I almost bought a "Songwriter" in GC back somewhere between 1999-2004 or so, at the time knew nothing about RF or anything else for that matter, be it nut width, long scale short scale etc...I just knew that was one killer guitar! I played a couple mini-jumbo maple a/e cutaways around the same time and they were also killer Gibsons. those were the best Gibson acoustics I ever played. They were brand new RF's, like $1200-$1500 at the time, wish I had snagged that Songwriter!

oh yeah, almost forgot. and this- Gibson's booth locations for the upcoming CES show.

yxrKWl.jpg

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a long time fan of Gibsons, both electrics & acoustics, and love the ones I've got. But I thought it was a bad sign when Henry let Ren walk away to join Fender/Guild. Seems like an unending number of bad decisions have followed.

Perhaps we remember the story differently? My recollection is that Ren retired from Gibson and that was Ren's choice. After several months of retirement a family member who worked for FMIC convinced Ren to come out of retirement and work for Guild. Ren accepted.

While Henry J. may have made a number of controversial and/or wrong decisions, I don't think it is appropriate to include "letting Ren go" as one of them.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I ever buy a Gibson it will be a vintage 1920's A-style mandolin.

My friend spent the big bucks on one of those "Songwriters" a few years back. A year later he had to have it worked on because the strings were buzzing against the bridge - they "had to shave down the ebony bridge, yada yada." I couldn't bear to hear any more; they turned a bad situation to worse.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've owned a couple Songwriters and both were superb. I sold them over time but still remember them fondly. There was a recent listing for a Custom Shop Songwriter with the Mystic Rosewood back and sides. It was a bit pricey and I didn't buy it but kinda wish I had.

marcellis

Reaction score
I bought 3 Gibson solid body electrics in 2017 - mainly because they were so cheap.
2 NOS were under $500. 1 of those came with a free gold hard-shell case.
2 came w/robo tuners.

I’m no Gibson fanboy but a good deal is a good deal. Lower-priced Gibson’s are sometimes screaming bargains. I am one of the few who like GForce tuners too. I just had a set installed on my Les Paul Faded.

BTW, all were playable out of the box. They look and feel like quality instruments -
unlike the MiM Jazzmaster I got for Christmas.

Last edited:

crank

Reaction score
Above comment is interesting to me because a few months ago I was trying different slides at a guitar center. They set me up with a Fender Squire Telecaster that had a price tag of $250. That guitar played well really well and sounded really good. My comment to the sales kid was, this guitar has no business being this good at this price. I don't know if the Squire was MIM or MIC though. I bought a used MIM Tele and it sounds and plays really well as well. Paid about $400 for it and use it for gigging with country band.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I bought 3 Gibson solid body electrics in 2017 - mainly because they were so cheap.
2 NOS were under $500. 1 of those came with a free gold hard-shell case.
2 came w/robo tuners.

I’m no Gibson fanboy but a good deal is a good deal. Lower-priced Gibson’s are sometimes screaming bargains. I am one of the few who like GForce tuners too. I just had a set installed on my Les Paul Faded.

BTW, all were playable out of the box. They look and feel like quality instruments -
unlike the MiM Jazzmaster I got for Christmas.

I am with you have a few USA series (meaning not custom shop) Les Paul Jrs and Melody Makers. paid less than newark st. prices for most of them. kinda started hoarding them had to sell a few ha. still have several.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
As I may've mentioned before here, my most recent Gibson guitar was made in 1974. That I don't pay attention to anything they've done post-Kalamazoo is an arbitrary thing on my part, but it helps keep my guitar stash manageable too. :) Anyway the world is awash in already-made Gibsons…and there are plenty of great makers out there right now to choose from. Ya gotta just get past having that name on the headstock. Close your eyes and choose with your ears and hands.

-Dave-

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
About 2 years ago, I was in the high-end acoustic room at the local Sam Ash with Taylors, Martins and Gibsons hanging on the wall. The best sounding guitar was a Gibson Limited Edition Hummingbird. At least to my ears! And I'm not a fan of Gibson square-shoulder dreadnought guitars. It was just one of those times that the tonewoods, design and craftsmanship came together in a particular instrument.

Lately, I have been eyeing this guitar at Sam Ash...

http://www.samash.com/acoustic-guit...dition-acoustic-guitar-sn11257074-g11257074-p

I've always wanted a pre-war J-35. Played one in a vintage guitar store back in early '90's, and I've never forgotten that experience! I've regretted to this very day that I didn't buy it on the spot ($2100)... another one that got away. :eek:nthego:

It would be sad to see The Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Mfg. Co. (est. 1902) become another, solely offshore manufacturer. A venerable, American company with deep roots in the American music scene! It makes me think that Henry J. hired some business consultants who advised that future profitability is in the "lifestyles market"... whatever that means. :confused:

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Perhaps we remember the story differently? My recollection is that Ren retired from Gibson and that was Ren's choice. After several months of retirement a family member who worked for FMIC convinced Ren to come out of retirement and work for Guild. Ren accepted. While Henry J. may have made a number of controversial and/or wrong decisions, I don't think it is appropriate to include "letting Ren go" as one of them.

It's certainly possible I missed something, but as an active member of the Gibson forums, I don't recall any mention of Ren "retiring" from Gibson. Conversely, there was considerable discussion revolving around the fact that he was leaving Gibson to work for Fender/Guild.

bobouz

Reaction score
I almost bought a "Songwriter" in GC back somewhere between 1999-2004 or so, at the time knew nothing about RF or anything else for that matter, be it nut width, long scale short scale etc...I just knew that was one killer guitar! I played a couple mini-jumbo maple a/e cutaways around the same time and they were also killer Gibsons. those were the best Gibson acoustics I ever played. They were brand new RF's, like $1200-$1500 at the time, wish I had snagged that Songwriter!
In 1999, Ren revamped Gibson's acoustic lineup with a strong emphasis on vintage models & specs. The years that immediately followed produced some stellar instruments from Montana. Gibson acoustics from this era are always worth a test drive if you have the opportunity.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's certainly possible I missed something, but as an active member of the Gibson forums, I don't recall any mention of Ren "retiring" from Gibson. Conversely, there was considerable discussion revolving around the fact that he was leaving Gibson to work for Fender/Guild.

I 'got' my story from listening to Ren at LMG III but I don't always understand what I hear. I also make a distinction between retiring from a job and quitting.

The Gibson press release here says he retired.

In this video, a bit after 15:00 Ren tells the story. His son talked to him about Fender and he decided not to. He was injured and decided to retire from Gibson. His son asked if he would consider Fender and Ren asked to postpone the discussion until he no longer worked for Gibson. He retired, the conversation occurred and he joined Fender. I was thinking there were a few months of retirement before he joined Guild but it is quite possible the decision was made fairly quickly and the delay in starting was because of his injury.

From the video I get the impression that there was nothing Gibson could do to keep Ren, other than revamping the corporate structure. To the extent that is true I don't think it is fair to blame Henry J. for Ren's departure. Yes Henry is the man in charge so he is ultimately responsible but I don't think the important factors were under one person's control.

IMO. YMMV.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I 'got' my story from listening to Ren at LMG III but I don't always understand what I hear. I also make a distinction between retiring from a job and quitting.

The Gibson press release here says he retired.

In this video, a bit after 15:00 Ren tells the story. His son talked to him about Fender and he decided not to. He was injured and decided to retire from Gibson. His son asked if he would consider Fender and Ren asked to postpone the discussion until he no longer worked for Gibson. He retired, the conversation occurred and he joined Fender. I was thinking there were a few months of retirement before he joined Guild but it is quite possible the decision was made fairly quickly and the delay in starting was because of his injury.

From the video I get the impression that there was nothing Gibson could do to keep Ren, other than revamping the corporate structure. To the extent that is true I don't think it is fair to blame Henry J. for Ren's departure. Yes Henry is the man in charge so he is ultimately responsible but I don't think the important factors were under one person's control.

IMO. YMMV.

Although Ren didn't come out and say it explicitly in our conversation at LMG3, I got the impression that he and Henry J were at loggerheads quite a bit during his tenure at Gibson. Knowing Henry J's reputation from several sources, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fro, I just wanted you to know that I remember having a similar discussion with Ren. He certainly described his exit from Gibson as his own decision. I explicitly remember him saying that Larry Thomas (?) from Fender had approached him about taking a lead role at Fender after he'd left Gibson and that Ren expressed his thoughts (to me/us) that he had been looking forward to retiring from the business. I think he felt Larry had enticed him to come over, possibly with the Guild brand at his disposal and a lot of leeway with his projects. Witness the Orpheums (Orphea?? :) ).

Whether he was let go or whether he retired is usually never divulged with high-level executives. We're not ever really going to know what was said between Henry J. and Ren.

Neal

Reaction score
I am awaiting the arrival of a Gibson from the opposite end of the historic pipeline.

Circa 1930 L-0, one of the earlier flattop, X-braced guitars Gibson made. This is the all-mahogany version of the L-00, built before the advent of 14-fret instruments.

It is so old, it has "The Gibson" script logo on the headstock.