Help dating 90s Guild Starfire II

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post here. I'm the very proud owner of a Starfire II from the late 90s. The best I can tell from info charts available, such as this one (http://westerlyguildguitars.com/articles/datingguild.htm), it dates from 1997-1999. But, I'd like to find the exact year if possible. The serial number as shown below is AG300132. In my research, I've seen others with a 1 in the fourth decimal position (mine is the 3rd) dated at 1997, so I assume mine is just earlier 97, but can anyone confirm?

open

view

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Help dating 90s Westerly, RI Guild Starfire II

I'm new to this forum, but I'm a very proud owner of a late 90s Guild Starfire II. According to serial number charts, it must date between 1997 and 1999, but can any experts here help me narrow that down? Given the serial number tables I've seen (http://westerlyguildguitars.com/articles/datingguild.htm), I'm guessing it's 1997.

Here are some pics in case they help:

view
open

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm the very proud owner of a Starfire II from the late 90s. The best I can tell from info charts available, such as this one (http://westerlyguildguitars.com/articles/datingguild.htm), it dates from 1997-1999. But, I'd like to find the exact year if possible. The serial number as shown below is AG300132. In my research, I've seen others with a 1 in the fourth decimal position (mine is the 3rd) dated at 1997, so I assume mine is just earlier 97, but can anyone confirm?

Hello drett,

Welcome! That particular Starfire 2 was completed during the year 1997.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Hi Drett and welcome to the LTG Forum! As a new member your first few posts will be slightly delayed because of the need to be reviewed by a moderator. We want to be sure that you are not a bot or some other form of AI! :welcoming:

Hans Moust is our resident Guild (and all things guitar related) expert. He wrote "The Guild Guitar Book", which is a good read and very informative! We are anxiously awaiting Volume II.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, drett! I had a '98 SFII - great guitars!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
'97 is one of my favorite years for Starfires.

Welcome!

Reaction score
Thank you, folks. Sorry for double-posting; wasn't sure if my first one went through. Anyway, sounds like 97 is a solid manufacture date for my guitar. Thanks. I've also read about the history of the pickups here: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2011/11/25/guild-full-sized-hb1-and-sd1-pickup-variations/. This guitar appears to have the Seymour Duncan-made ones. Anyway, I like the way this guitar plays so much I was drive to investigate its history a bit more. Glad you guys are around!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome! The SFII is one of the guitars on my Guild bucket list. Pictures, Pictures!

Reaction score
@dreadnut or anybody, I want to post some pics, but I guess because I'm new I "may not post attachments" according to my permissions. I tried including images from Google Drive using a URL yesterday, but that doesn't work either. Any suggestions?

bobouz

Reaction score
Seems that '97 was a very good year for the Starfire. Mine is a '97 Starfire III, but at some point the Bigsby was removed & replaced with the II's harp tailpiece (which is my preference anyway!).

Indeed, they are very nice guitars.