Guild acoustic prices in the 1970s?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Iv'e been doing a little comparative price research through vintage instrument catalogs that I've come across on line, just because I love the history side of things. Some guitar prices surprised me- for example how inexpensive (taking into account inflation of course) certain Martin models were in the late 30s/ early 40s compared to what they cost now. and vise-versa on other brands and modles- some are cheaper now than they were then.

But I cant seem to find any pricing info on Guild acoustics in the 1970s. I'd be particularly interested to find out what the list OR even the street price of a Guild F50 and F50R were at some point in the 70s, to compare with a 1977 Martin list price list I've come across. Finding Guild prices 1960 and prior is no problem; they listed the list pricing right in the catalog.

Anyone have any insight? Whether you have an old price list or you remember what you paid new for one of those models, Id appreciate hearing more! I was sent here by the Howard Emerson over at acoustic guitar forum, and was told Hans Moust could probably help!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Hans can definitely help although if he doesn't respond here in a couple of days you should contact him through his web site. There are several people with collections of Guild "paper" and it would not surprise me if one of them had a catalog/pricelist from the 70's. My data point from personal experience is a JS II bass in 1972 for about $250. What really surprises me is a 70's Starfire bass case was about $140 in 1977 or so and a similar case is a similar price, or less, today, 30 years of inflation later.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome dcharles! Yes you are in the right place indeed sir. Excellent resources abound here when it comes to world of Guild guitars.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG!

A list of "catalog prices" from 1954-1977 can be found in the back of Hans Moust's "The Guild Guitar Book." Ted Beesley's "Guitar History #5: Guild Guitars" also gives some price information... usually the last price of a discontinued model or the current price when the work went to press.

Of course, street prices were often lower. According to Hans, the catalog price for a D-35 in Jan 1973 was $300 (I presume this was sans case). I paid $265 for mine (and another $35 for a hard case).

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello from Finland

First - welcome on board !

I bought my F50R with hardshell case at James Berns Music Store - 8417 Pillsbury Ave S 55420 Bloomington MN ( tel 1-612-884-5774 ) in summer 1975 and paid about 750USD - list price was way higher. He ordered it for me and delivery was in about three weeks.

Just in case you wonder how come I still recall street address and telephone - I ended working there some years later . . . lots of fond memories . . .

And of old catalogs - I recall that while living in Switzerland early 70:s I had some Guild brochures, where the guitars had names in addition to model number.
Was F50R Navarre - or ???

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll certainly have to check out those books when I get a chance.

Besides just being interested in the history, I'm considering getting an F-50 in the near future, especially if I can check one out sometime in person. I liked the recent (Connecticut made?) F-50R I tried a few years back. I'm intrigued by those maple F-50s because their unusual combination of archtop and flattop design components seem like they'd be a perfect fit for the type of music I play on acoustic- mostly jazz in various incarnations and some rock/pop as well, all played pick style.

bobouz

Reaction score
I purchased four new Guilds in the '70s, but can't recall the price paid for any of them.

Along with my lifelong lousy memory, another muddying factor is that virtually every guitar deal I made back then included a trade of some sort.

On the other hand, what I do clearly recall is that at the time, Guilds by far represented the best guitar value my money could buy!

Dadzmad

Reaction score
The price asked in the early 70s does not mean much these days as back then $350 to $400 was a lot of money and was the typical asking price on the higher end guitar rack. As I recall the stores that carried Guilds asked the same money as they did for a Gibson of comparable build acoustic or electric.

Butch

Reaction score
I bought my F50R in 1979. The list at the time was $1250.00. I paid $726.00 for it out the door with a case.

Reaction score
I just bought a 1967 D50 from original owner. He said he got it in 1970 brand new in Ontario, and paid $500 for the guitar and the hard case.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rcyuvJ.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Notice that the price written on the invoice is $ 245.00, which was a whole lot less than the official list price of more than $ 400.00; $ 410.00 when the guitar was built and $ 435.00 at the time the guitar was sold. That means a discount of roughly 40%, which was really unusual in the business at that time.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Notice that the price written on the invoice is $ 245.00, which was a whole lot less than the official list price of more than $ 400.00; $ 410.00 when the guitar was built and $ 435.00 at the time the guitar was sold. That means a discount of roughly 40%, which was really unusual in the business at that time.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

that's how u stay in business for 74 years in the middle of New York City!!

You have to close deals and keep people coming back- in a good way! Maybe Manny could have made more on my 112, but the important thing is he made enough on it, to inventory a different instrument, for better or for worse...that is the way to do it, if u ask me!

this one was not old stock though, was basically brand new when sold. possibly some of the finish that has chipped off the neck, happened from new, and this one was discounted, if 40 percent is so extreme? the cosmetic flaw isnt so bad though, maybe 20-30 bucks tops in 1976, not $190...

I also thought the Guild case was cheap at $45 though...it's a nice case! definitely no flaws! maybe the original owner/buyer also traded in a beginner guitar or other instrument at the time.

Br1ck

Reaction score
The first Guild I played was a D 35 sometime in 70-72. The guy bought it partially because it was $50 less than a D 18. Yes, that was quite a chunk of change to a student in the early 70s.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My '76 D-25M was $300.00 new, including the hsc. I think I remember the case was $70.

Last edited:

refret

Reaction score
I bought a new D-40 in 1978 from Wurlitzer in Newington, NH for 399 with the hard case. I can't remember what the list was.