NGD of sweet usedness , is that a word ?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Booze and precision work... not the combo I would wish for !

Hic* what got that needs work ?

Some people work better under the influence. I'm sure Ray has it covered. Lookin' good, Ray!! :encouragement:

awe give me a hug HIc*
LOL

ok ok hey the booze was motivation !

Guess ya missed the kitchen utensils in the pic ? LMAO

ok the almost finished product . staining needs more darkening but not doing it right away. a problem with the staining and the binding is very difficult to control problem is new where the binding did not release from the finger board but did on the past repair hence the NCL chips which again are dyed , Really starting to have a beef with that :livid: anyway the taping can't conform the missing chips of NCL on the binding so stain even though taped wicks in underneath it.

ok so I was able to very carefully razor blade scrape issues away may I say it require many pairs of reading glasses a head lamp along other very bright leds and time .

Next step is to fix the chips by leveling them out and polishing them up.

Here are this parts finished pics remember I could nothing about the irregularity of the binding noted in the above comments and pictures above.

7J0zo0O.jpg
[/IMG]
PiVdxzI.jpg
[/IMG]
EWhndq0.jpg
[/IMG]

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ray I hate to bring it up at this late date but some of those frets are dented.
Didn't you use your magnifying goggles?

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What a beautiful Guitar.
And nice to see you did the repair yourself.
Hope you have many years of inspiration from it.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ray I hate to bring it up at this late date but some of those frets are dented.
Didn't you use your magnifying goggles?

****zoo I put the old frets back in from that other guitar darn it I knew the color was off !

I do have to giggle I remember like early 80’s wearing a fret out but not there after . Then again I don’t concentrate on one area . But I have just seen a guitar a FB acoustic guitar page that darn near the whole fret was wore out and the fret board was scalloped to all get out , every where !! Lol that’s a JB weld leveling job lmao .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What a beautiful Guitar.
And nice to see you did the repair yourself.
Hope you have many years of inspiration from it.

Wow what a kind thing to say , thanks ;)

jedzep

Reaction score
Pretty damn pretty!

My trick, if you have a chilly basement you can take your freshly shipped guitar down and open her up immediately to make sure all's well. The hard part is closing the lid to let it acclimate after looking.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pretty damn pretty!

My trick, if you have a chilly basement you can take your freshly shipped guitar down and open her up immediately to make sure all's well. The hard part is closing the lid to let it acclimate after looking.

If I had a basement Oooooo that would be my happy place LOL .

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I just like that your kitchen looks a lot like mine right now...
Looking good Ray! Hopefully you are doing this repair fully clothed!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just like that your kitchen looks a lot like mine right now...
Looking good Ray! Hopefully you are doing this repair fully clothed!

LOL yes there was crazy glue involved hahahahaha

ok so everyone I did not think that the photos i posted of the repairs should of been a new thread I guess in the repair section :( anyway I have a few more to post then i'm done . If a moderator feels it the thread should be moved do what ya need to :)

ok so I changed out the pins so West can get his prized pins back :) I had a set of Ebony pins I had to carve and sand to fit and then do a saddle touch up .
Now one thing I'm very impressed with is the intonation on this guitar the saddle is not compensated and I was going to start that process but once i started on it the dang was dead on and only a few octaves being off to the sharp side by a 2-3 cents then falling back to dead on after the note/string stabilized . Wow ! the saddle was pretty darn tight so i sanded the thickness off a tad then just leveled the bottom out . I used a multi purpose straight edge that has a wide base to square up the saddle for nice flat bottom. I hope that's how the slot was cut .... I used a pencil to color the bottom the saddle to show any uneven spots after sanding.

rVciZjv.jpg
[/IMG]
mCgkX43.jpg
[/IMG]
gqIWuVW.jpg
[/IMG]
uQ1UHjh.jpg
[/IMG]
nTAaPKZ.jpg
[/IMG]
yndLUGD.jpg
[/IMG]

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Looking at the photos in post #41, I see no signs of repair/restoration. The only thing that I see are the gorgeous, abalone V-inlays on the fretboard. Down right psychedelic! "Yeah, baby!" :encouragement:

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations!!! Sweet Guild sunburst goodness!! :glee:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looking at the photos in post #41, I see no signs of repair/restoration. The only thing that I see are the gorgeous, abalone V-inlays on the fretboard. Down right psychedelic! "Yeah, baby!" :encouragement:
Thanks lol ;)

Congratulations!!! Sweet Guild sunburst goodness!! :glee:

Have love the Guild burst . ;)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thought I’d do a little update .
I just got done with D55’s new saddle .
I need me one of those string gauges lol
So after removing some thickness I decided to put the saddle in see where it sits .

The guitars action originally was pretty low , yes a place we’d all love to have it , it played like an electric unfortunately it could remain there . I never took a measurement either .

I pulled out my feeler gauges and calipers . The string height at the 12th is at .102 low E and .88 on the high E

Anyone know what factory sent them out at ?

Yeah I can bring it down some but even though it’s at the .102 she’s a whole guitar .

Her volume is up , the playability for me seems fine . I was thinking the fretting would be much harder then before especially up the neck but it’s not at all at least for me .

The biggest perk is the D55’s harmonics and overtones which where lacking . I would describe it as dull ! But now OMG she’s sweet .

Single noting around the 12th fret , she starts to fill out with the overtones and they just keep on building to a choir of angles .

Her strings sound brighter and sharper . Their new but I had them on for a few weeks so I know the difference between then and now.

I think I’ll will take them down to no less then .08
The string gauge are 11’s and she seems to like them just fine .

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Westerly this is for you brother !

here's an audio demo of Westrly's D55 I thought ok to post here its not really a song so .... its really a bad recording with me talking a lot scratching my chin office , chair squeaks and and who knows what else LOL

I did not check the master vol so you might need to turn it up ..... might ?

oh its long, like 10 minutes so go to the bathroom first !

https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/guild-d55-demo

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
: ) Well she sounds just fine to me Ray. My hat is off to you for tweaking and tweaking until you've gotten her just right. She sounds AMAZING! You're not bad yourself.

West

here's an audio demo of Westrly's D55 I thought ok to post here its not really a song so .... its really a bad recording with me talking a lot scratching my chin office , chair squeaks and and who knows what else LOL

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what factory sent them out at ?
Yeah I can bring it down some but even though it’s at the .102 she’s a whole guitar .
I only ever saved the English spec which was how Guild normally gave 'em:
"Between 5 and 6/64ths on Bass E and between 4 and 5/64ths on treble."
Per Jim Inman, Guild tech, in Guild Gallery #1 "Winter" '96-Spring'97.
I've seen people say that's high but it allows plenty of room for lowering and I always thought is was perfect for me.

The string gauge are 11’s and she seems to like them just fine .

And shipped 'em L350 lights at the time of that build, .012-.053, or D'A Ej-16 with an .025 G single subbed in (PB025).

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I only ever saved the English spec which was how Guild normally gave 'em:
"Between 5 and 6/64ths on Bass E and between 4 and 5/64ths on treble."
Per Jim Inman, Guild tech, in Guild Gallery #1 "Winter" '96-Spring'97.
I've seen people say that's high but it allows plenty of room for lowering and I always thought is was perfect for me.

And shipped 'em L350 lights at the time of that build, .012-.053, or D'A Ej-16 with an .025 G single subbed in (PB025).

Thanks Al 😁

Thanks MLbob and West 🙂

CocoaPicker

Reaction score

Wow, great sound, Ray; nice job all around. Don’t apologize for sharing a little informal porch picking, oopses and all; we should all do that more. I really enjoyed listening to your finger picking.

What mics and fx were you using, out of curiosity?