SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Product News
Guild Dreadnought, Now Available with Flamed Mahogany for Limited Time

12/20/2017

Santa Monica, CA
This winter, Guild is expanding upon its best-selling 200 Series with the D-240E FM. This new limited edition model features the same full-bodied and powerful tone of the D-240E, but with exotic flamed mahogany back and sides and a solid spruce top for a premium look, meaty tone and dynamic response.
The dreadnought shape provides guitarists with a classic acoustic sound and balanced voicing, and Guild’s historic archback design offers improved bass response and projection. The D-240E FM is a complete package as it features Guild’s AP-1 preamp system with soundhole mounted controls and a deluxe padded Guild gig bag.

D-240E Flamed Mahogany – $449.99 Street • $625 MSRP

guild-d-240e.jpg

The guitar belongs to the "Westerly Collection".

Source: https://www.guitarinteractivemagazi...ilable-with-flamed-mahogany-for-limited-time/

Ralf

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
A popular series for sure and priced very well. Dig the flamed hog. I have a buddy who has an M-240 as his traveler and he loves his.
Anyone here have a 200 series WC guitar? If so what do they think?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone here have a 200 series WC guitar? If so what do they think?
"The MusicRadar/Total Guitar Best in guitars 2017 polls have received over 136,000 votes, and we're now ready to roll out the winners. The nominees were what we considered to be the guitarists and guitar gear that have excelled in 2017. Here, we present the best new acoustic guitars of 2017. First up we have the Guild M-240E Troubadour...
We say: “A versatile electro with enough clout to hold its own on stage.”"

http://www.musicradar.com/news/the-5-best-new-acoustic-guitars-in-the-world-right-now

Ralf

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, one of our members has a prototype of one of these. I think he said he didn't know how he got it. That actually looks like the back of his!

By the way, I was almost certain that his was maple. This ad says flamed mahogany, but I'm dubious. The grain looked nothing like mahogany.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Hey, one of our members has a prototype of one of these. I think he said he didn't know how he got it. That actually looks like the back of his!

By the way, I was almost certain that his was maple. This ad says flamed mahogany, but I'm dubious. The grain looked nothing like mahogany.

So can someone educate me about this "flamed mahogany" thing? For me Mahogany is supposed to be fine textured without much figures, stripes, flames etc. Obviously, this model has a laminated back so it's all looks for people who like this (and yeah I love flamed and figured MAPLE), but for solid woods does this still represent selection of higher quality? Or is this a feature of one of the African mahogany subspecies and/or just a term for a cheaper cut of any mahogany?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
merlin, you are asking the questions I also have! I love the look of that, but isn't "flamed mahogany" an oxymoron?

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You guys gonna' tell me this is mahogany? Seriously?

Yep.
That is, assuming they're not already playing fast'n'loose with their own numbering system:
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/guild-acoustic-naming-structure.pdf

"OM"= orchestra body (D=dreadnought)
"2" = solid top/arched back import, and....
"40" = mahogany body/spruce top.

We did discuss that unusual OM240 before, but I'd forgotten about it until this thread came up with the 'dread showing the same wood.
Guild's site notes "African mahogany" so it's a certainty it's not a "true" (genus Swietenia) mahogany, though.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So can someone educate me about this "flamed mahogany" thing? For me Mahogany is supposed to be fine textured without much figures, stripes, flames etc. Obviously, this model has a laminated back so it's all looks for people who like this (and yeah I love flamed and figured MAPLE), but for solid woods does this still represent selection of higher quality? Or is this a feature of one of the African mahogany subspecies and/or just a term for a cheaper cut of any mahogany?
To tell you the truth I suspected it had to be a non-Swietenia myself but according to this site it's not uncommon even in genuine mahogany.
https://www.cookwoods.com/flame-mahogany

My suspicion is that probably due to price it was simply rarely used in volume production instruments and maybe even incorrectly identiified by laymen when used in furniture:
73073-14.jpg

In fact there's several examples of highly figured slabs for sale on that site.
What I'm wondering is if this is in fact Honduran or African, Guild's site only says "mahogany" for the OM240e.
I'd think the CITES certifications for getting it into and then back out of China would be a little onerous, and suspect it really is one of the unregulated African species.
Sapele'd be a good candidate:

73659-3.jpg

Last edited:

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My OM 240E is supposedly Flamed mahogany from the guy I bought it from but is sure looks like Flamed Maple up close. It was lighter but has aged nicely.
165234871.jpg

Doesn't really matter to me what you call it. It looks interesting and I love the guitar regardless.

I've got my eyes on the Junior Jumbo Bass which has quite spectacular looking back and sides.

166769596.jpg
This is listed as Flamed Maple though..........

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My OM 240E is supposedly Flamed mahogany from the guy I bought it from but is sure looks like Flamed Maple up close. It was lighter but has aged nicely.
165234871.jpg

Does really matter to me what you call it. It looks interesting and I love the guitar regardless.

Had to go back and find your original post for that guitar:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?192688-Happy-Days!!!

Back then I thought it was maple too, but now I think they simply got offered some spectacular-looking wood at a price they couldn't pass up and used it this way (book-matched) to highlight the figuring.
Maybe the lumber was an awkward size for most traditional uses so was priced accordingly?
Being laminated I don't really care where it actually came from either, as long as it's properly ID'd.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Al, I'm just not convinced that this is mahogany (of any sort). I posted a picture to F30's OM-240E earlier in this thread, and if this isn't maple I'll eat my hat. :)

I know mahogany can have grain. I've seen spectacular quilting. But the grain is all wrong here on F30s axe. I'm feeling the same way about the D-240.

Anyway, neither here nor there anyway since it's a laminated product, but I think Guild described it wrong. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Al, I'm just not convinced that this is mahogany (of any sort). I posted a picture to F30's OM-240E earlier in this thread, and if this isn't maple I'll eat my hat. :)

I know mahogany can have grain. I've seen spectacular quilting. But the grain is all wrong here on F30s axe. I'm feeling the same way about the D-240.

Anyway, neither here nor there anyway since it's a laminated product, but I think Guild described it wrong. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

And then we have this , if the link works
https://www.google.com/search?q=qui...-XHsWh_Qa6yYXQDQ#dlnr=1&imgrc=_wlS-8y873WPOM:

On images go 7 pics over the rectangle board standing up

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
but I think Guild described it wrong. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Wow I feel like we're the same guy in 2 different bodies.
But I don't think they made the same mistake on 2 different models, and I think it's sapele, one of the "African Mahoganys":

Pomelle%20Sapelle%20body%20002%20crop.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Adorshki, you need to start charging for your comments and opinions!:rolleyes:

No. We'll run a donation poll. People can donate to LTG and specify whether each dollar represents up or down. The total of up minus down determines the status of the postbot. If it is positive then things are as they are now - status quo. If it is negative then we take the postbot offline for a few days, tweak the software and then reset the count.

If this does not make any sense then you should be reminded that it is documented in past posts that the Adorshki account is actually a postbot with A.I. managed by fronobulax. It is publicly at v3.0 or better. There is evidence that somewhere between v2.0 and now it developed self-awareness and self-determination although that is somewhat difficult to determine. It has become less responsive to its creator's commands though it is more responsive to feedback and learning provided through the Moderation Channel. At one point the experience with the A.I. was considered as a topic for a graduate thesis but the interested parties decided to follow the advice given to Frank Zappa and "shut up and play yer guitar".