Help! X170 Short Story but looking for answers

Reaction score
Hello all,
First post to the forum! I have a short story to tell, but am looking for any additional info guild enthusiasts may like to share. I grew up near the Westerly Guild factory, and had begun playing guitar at a young age. I was working at a local pizza place in 1990 as a teenager and shared my interest in music with the owner of the restaurant. He explained to me that he had a very good friend that worked at the Guild factory, and could get me a tour and a special deal on a guitar. How could I say no! I had no idea what to expect, but was given the royal treatment throughout the tour and it was quite overwhelming! At the end, guitars were brought out to the showroom for me to select which to purchase. There were many beautiful guitars paraded in front of me, but the one that caught my eye, was a white with gold hardware guild X-170. It was/is beautiful! I was told at the time that the guitar was a special order made for a famous musician, but they did not take delivery of the guitar. As I stated I was overwhelmed and did not think to ask who. Maybe they would not have told me, but I regret never asking. This is where I am hoping for some help, as I have never seen another white X170. Here are some additional details on the guitar, I still have the sales receipt! The person that took me on the tour was Ercole Marino. The model is X170E02, with a serial number made towards the end of 1988 but the purchased was in july of 1990. I will try to share a picture of the guitar. Any thoughts on guidance or who to talk to for additional info?
Thanks!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Interesting story. I will be no help whatsoever but you have come to the right place.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I will register a photobucket account and get some pics up shortly.
Anthony

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! Cool story and it sounds like you got a nice guitar! Keep us updated should you find out more from Hans.

Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score
guild-x170.jpg

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Here is its younger brother from 2000. Beautiful guitars!

Lovely. Looks pretty much identical to the one I recently picked up (and to GAD's for that matter). I'm having a blast with mine: after backing off the pickup heights it turns out the guitar likes to jangle. Not what I expected but it's a sound I really like.

-Dave-

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those gorgeous Guilds.
Made my day. My "I can't believe I sold it" Guild was an X500 blonde that was sold for a Telecaster....crazy because there are so many Teles out there but far less X500's.
That white X170 is absolutely beautiful.
Nice!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That white '90s X170 is cool. I bet it sounds killer with those pickups. It's no secret that I love me some orange X170T goodness and that one's a beaut!