PIckup Question

silverfox103

Reaction score
I'm within a week of heading down south for the winter. The last two years I have had a pickup installed in my Mark V maple and a my Alvarez Yairi classical guitars. I had them done at Randy Wood's in Savannah. http://www.randywoodmusic.com/

I'm very satisfied with the outcome. It kind of woke up the guitars and gave them a 21st century sound.

Now for the dilemma. I have a 50 year old Mark VI, which I love. I am on the fence to whether I should have one installed in it. I am very reluctant to have it done, with holes drilled, altering the guitar. I know they make pickups where the cable just hangs done from the sound hole. Not sure how I would like that.

Anyone have any words of wisdom.

thanks and Merry Christmas

Tom

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom,

as you already have a pup in your Mark 5, my $.02 vote is to leave the 6 alone. :)
btw, me and fam are heading up to Henniker NH for holidays to see folks.
i hear it will be quite balmy this time of year in NH

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have a 50 year old Mark VI, which I love. I am on the fence to whether I should have one installed in it. I am very reluctant to have it done, with holes drilled, altering the guitar. I know they make pickups where the cable just hangs done from the sound hole. Not sure how I would like that.

Anyone have any words of wisdom.

Personally, on that one, I'd live with the cable. If it interfered with playing I'd go without or mic it if amplification was mandatory.
I'd remove the p/u for storage, having no tolerance for even the slightest possibility that the plastic jacket might react with NCL over a long term.
Although in past I've agreed with the philosophy of "It's your guitar, do as you want", I still felt there were examples that were rare enough that retaining originality is almost a responsibility to some unknown future owner and user.
Let alone the value for your heirs if or when it may finally be sold.
I myself am becoming a little more acutely aware that my guitars may outlive me and if my nephew (who's the only one in line for 'em) doesn't retain his interest in playing then my brother'll have a far easier time selling all-original instruments, I think.

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Although in past I've agreed with the philosophy of "It's your guitar, do as you want", I still felt there were examples that were rare enough that retaining originality is almost a responsibility to some unknown future owner and user.

+1.

It is your guitar, but as Adorshki says, that magnificent instrument will live on long after you (and me and everyone else on this forum) is moldering in the ground or sitting on the mantle. I think owners of rare instruments have an important (and sometimes unfair) responsibility to pass them on in as original condition as possible so future generations can experience their maker's genius.

silverfox103

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Kind of feel the same way, I don't think I could have pulled the trigger and had holes drilled in it, as it is in pristine condition. The Mark V maple that I had a pickup installed, has been used plenty and has a Willie Nelson lite look to it and had a hole from an end pin. So that didn't bother me.

me and fam are heading up to Henniker NH for holidays to see folks.
i hear it will be quite balmy this time of year in NH

I guess if 25 to 30 degrees is balmy, yes we are in a shortlived heat wave. By the end of next week, it's going to be 15 below.

Tom

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

How about having the cable come out of the sound hole - but on bass side - going over guitar "waist" - back to your strap pin and away. This will prevent any damage to guitar, if someone steps on cable. Also the cable will be less in the way on that side.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Funny how my feelings are just about identical to the other folks, Tom. It's your guitar, yes.......... But, it's also a rare beauty, probably never to be seen again. Yeah, if I were you I'd leave the Mark VI alone and (always) keep it as original as possible.