speaking of Guild guitar cases

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do haul my old D-25 around a lot; the other day the handle came off, this is the 2nd Guild case where the handle broke. Anyone else have this problem? The guitar's a real tank, but the carry cases fall apart.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do haul my old D-25 around a lot; the other day the handle came off, this is the 2nd Guild case where the handle broke. Anyone else have this problem? The guitar's a real tank, but the carry cases fall apart.

Mrs. Fro's 70's Mark IV came to us used. The case handle had failed and the previous owner had made a very nice handle from cord. It works well enough that we did not replace it at a cost of over $75. No other Guild case has had issues.

crank

Reaction score
My Fender amp's handle broke and although I had a new handle sent under warranty I use one I made out of cord. Their design was flawed just being rubber with a strap eye through it. It would just cut through and break again.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
No handle problems, but, the interior glue on the NS cases bleeds through the fabric onto the guitar on at least 2 or 3 of my guitars. I really hate that.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

F512 case - handle broke off on second or third year - the metal parts stayed put on case - must be same vintage as your D25

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
We have a luggage repair place close to my house, I'm going to see what they will charge me. Obviously gotta make sure no metal parts are sticking out under the velour lining.

idealassets

Reaction score
Some time ago when I bought a 1966 Guild Starfire bass (gone now), the old boy that sold it to me showed he how to always move a guitar case with one hand on the handle and the other hand cradled under the case, then when it's lifted up under your arm, you are only carrying it with the cradled arm, using the body and arm pit to guide it along. It reminded me of something like a military rifle carrying rudiment, which is maybe where he got the idea way back when.

He stated to me that it was the reason why the handle and case was in such good shape for such a weighty guitar that was 50 years old. The last time he demo'd this for me was when he walked the guitar out to my car for me after writing me the receipt. I am amazed at how many various tricks of the trade some of these old timers know.

I have also noticed that the handles on most of the new Fender electric guitar hard cases look a little flimsy. Lately I like the soft case that came with my Tele, which has a fabric handle and shoulder strap. There's apparently no harm nor foul to these cases since I see lots of proficient players using them.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
As much bad luck as I've had with the handles, at least the cases have done an outstanding job of protecting my D-25M from a lot of transportation! If it ain't bein' played, it's in the case!

M buddy bought a Martin D-18 same year as my D-25, 1976, his guitar came with one of those blue molded Martin cases. One day at a party at his house, he backed over it with his MG Midget. The guitar was damaged, but repairable, he still plays it, LOL.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
What does the bleeding look like? Does it discolor the fabric of the case liner?

No stains or discoloration, but, a sticky, tacky residue transfers to the guitar usually around the rim. It's water soluble so not difficult to remove. I still hate it though.

jcwu

Reaction score
I have no solutions, but hope you get a handle on your problem.

/rimshot

Jerry1

Reaction score
Why not recycle? After all its just a handle. I received my '60 T-50 Guild in a nice Ess and Ess case without a handle. Being a recycler, I went to a local thrift store to look for one. No handles that would work, but I noticed a thin leather belt with flat brass ornamental studs. Bought it for fifty cents, brought it home, trimmed it to length, and wove it through the handle mounts. Used some leather glue and a couple of screw together rivets to complete it. I think it looks unique, is comfortable and safe.
I would like to post pictures, but why is it so difficult on this site? I can do it easily on most every other site, but here it confuses me. I just got a new laptop, so one of my goals is to figure that out.
Merry Christmas to all.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No handle problems, but, the interior glue on the NS cases bleeds through the fabric onto the guitar on at least 2 or 3 of my guitars. I really hate that.

Slinger, I've had that happen with other cases. Are you possibly over-humidifying? I'm pretty sure that's why I had some of the case glue get on my axe(s). Anyway, in all the cases I had that "bled" the glue was water soluble and I just sponged it off. No problem. I don't know about the NS cases; I hope the glue is water soluble. If they are/were TKL cases, then I think you should be fine. Nothing abrasive should be needed to clean that off your axe(s).

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Slinger, I've had that happen with other cases. Are you possibly over-humidifying? I'm pretty sure that's why I had some of the case glue get on my axe(s). Anyway, in all the cases I had that "bled" the glue was water soluble and I just sponged it off. No problem. I don't know about the NS cases; I hope the glue is water soluble. If they are/were TKL cases, then I think you should be fine. Nothing abrasive should be needed to clean that off your axe(s).

Over humidification might indeed, at one time, have been the problem. Even though the case humidity has been dealt with the bleed through continues. It is water soluble and not difficult to remove. It is, nevertheless, an ongoing irritation.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
No stains or discoloration, but, a sticky, tacky residue transfers to the guitar usually around the rim. It's water soluble so not difficult to remove. I still hate it though.

A lot of the time the lining of a case/luggage is tacked down to the case with rubber cement...the lining has to be pulled away to replace the handle, then tacked back down...hence the non permanent cement solution...sounds like just a bit of excess cement around the edges of the liner squeezed out.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Metal pins and brackets are broken. Same way the original one failed. Hey, they've been loaded in and out of my vehicles thousands of times over 42 years. On my original case the tolex covering was held together with bumper stickers, finally they came off too and it was down to plywood. Put her on the bonfire one night. (Ceced and double-checked that there was no Guild in there, LOL.

This case is in great shape, it just needs a new handle.