Sound hole diameter

Rob Reilly

Reaction score
I have been using a Seymour Duncan hum bucking pickup in my 2001 Corona D50 Dreadnought for a few years. This guitar has a 3-3/4" (95 mm) diameter sound hole.

When I tried to put this pickup in my 1973 Westerly F212XL Jumbo 12 string, I got a surprise. It fell right in, won't work. The F212XL has a 4-1/8" (105 mm) diameter sound hole. Not to worry, I'll get another pickup.

My question is this. Is there a standard size sound hole for all Guilds, or a different standard size for each model, or has some unknown luthier enlarged the one in my Jumbo? If so, he did a neat job on the refinishing.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have been using a Seymour Duncan hum bucking pickup in my 2001 Corona D50 Dreadnought for a few years. This guitar has a 3-3/4" (95 mm) diameter sound hole.

When I tried to put this pickup in my 1973 Westerly F212XL Jumbo 12 string, I got a surprise. It fell right in, won't work. The F212XL has a 4-1/8" (105 mm) diameter sound hole. Not to worry, I'll get another pickup.

My question is this. Is there a standard size sound hole for all Guilds, or a different standard size for each model, or has some unknown luthier enlarged the one in my Jumbo? If so, he did a neat job on the refinishing.

Based on what I have learned here, the word Standard when discussing specs, not a model line, is a moving target, with Guild. I wouldn't be that surprised to read, after I post this, that the 12 strings always had larger sound holes than the 6 string models. Or, Corona vs Westerly made a difference.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't now about jumbos or 12 strings, but for my Westerly dreads past and present, the '71 and '72 had 3-3/4" sound holes while all those from '74-'95 had 4" sound holes...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My F212xlce is 4 1/4

swiveltung

Reaction score
Many different sizes. I haven't found one yet this Lawrence pickup wont work in, but I'm sure there's one out there! In the very small hole of a Songbird, others wouldn't fit in there. A Fishman Neo or Baggs wouldnt work.

Last edited:

Rob Reilly

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, especially the picture of the Lawrence with the spring foot. That looks simple enough to make.
I have already ordered another Seymour Duncan so I'l modify one to add this spring foot.
I don't know how to add a picture here.

swiveltung

Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking that spring foot might work for other pickups. It's a great idea.

jedzep

Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking that spring foot might work for other pickups. It's a great idea.

Holy Crap! I thought I was the last one on the planet to use the Bill Lawrence pick up. I rotate mine somewhat to enhance the bass strings, and/or to soften the highs.

We should have a drink and talk about how everyone is laughing at us. Do you happen to have a flip phone too?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with my flip phone? :>)

fb20f1bf4c3faf5c5983261b74fe078e.jpg

Hey those old Motorolas were built like tanks man, and with the discrete and human-sized mic and earpiece you could actually talk at normal conversational volumes for up to 20 minutes on a charge.
It proves the old rule: "If it works good and is priced right it's sure to be discontinued"
GRrrrrrrr..........