Do you own a 1971 Guild?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Roll call time....

I am trying to pinpoint the serial number zone in late 1971, in which the truss rod cover changed from "Hoboken" to "Westerly." This would apply to most Guilds but not all. it sort of applies to Starfires but those had their own truss rod cover and would be in a different category altogether. The F-30, also, may present some variables. The Thunderbird would not count...and so on... but generally speaking, the truss rod covers on:

S-50
S-100
F-20
JS bass
D-25
D-40
etc...of course many other Guilds belong on this generic truss rod cover list.
serial numbers during this period did not differentiate models, they are ascending for all Guilds.

the subject over/under right now is serial number 58744, which according to Hans is borderline, but he is leaning towards "Westerly" (plain black plastic, no shield/crest/engraving). I do not currently own this guitar but I may trade for it. even if not, I am trying to help the owner find the correct TRC (it currently has no TRC).

so...do you own a 1971 Guild? which TRC does it have? how close is the serial number to 58744?

I realize the instruments were not completed in the exact order of the ascending serial numbers, in some cases there is much variation- still, we can proceeding simply with the ascending number method, see where it takes us.

Thanks!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mavuser,

To help the guy out it would be easier to let him measure the distance (center-to-center) of the two mounting screw holes: about 1-3/4" would be for the metal truss rod cover and a tad more than 1-7/8" would be for the molded plastic one.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Somehow I just knew Hans would have the simple answer! I would not have thought of that, but it makes sense.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i suppose I could also just bring both TRCs and just see which one lines up perfectly with the pre-existing screw holes.
man, nothing gets by me! just like Billy Smith in the 1981 playoffs.