Now here's a shipping problem of bodacious magnitude

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know in general that when there is an insurance claim that is paid, in the US, the insured object belongs to the insurance company. So if I accept a check for a totaled automobile then the insurance company takes it and hauls it away, where it is probably stripped, sold for scrap or sold to someone who is willing to repair and re-title it. If something is lost, a claim is paid, and then it is found then the insurance company owns the original object. Given that the missing object is a check which probably cannot be cashed by the insurer (in this case, UPS) I can understand seeking out some kind of legally binding understanding that if the check is found, it will be endorsed over to the insurer or cashed and paid to the insurer. What I don't get is why UPS doesn't have lawyers good enough to write a binding agreement (as part of paying the claim) that does not require collateral.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Now, why would a bank not simply cancel an unredeemed financial instrument...and issue a replacement? Something fishy here.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Now, why would a bank not simply cancel an unredeemed financial instrument...and issue a replacement? Something fishy here.

That was my thought as well.
Then thought perhaps it was their way of trying to circumvent becoming the victim of a new unknown type of scam which they may have believed they could be vulnerable to.