Can you guess what this (non-Guild) is?

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
I purchased this dread brand new in 1981. It has been around the block/woods/parties a few times and is still in excellent condition, action is perfect, plays very easy and sounds great.

Take a guess and/or comment on what you see....

15L4E5z.jpg
[/IMG]
szMcukJ.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
LvxQdQH.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
5jB5Uqz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
XgGb242.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
bC6jT5d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The first and only new guitar I've ever purchased. Over 36 years and still as beautiful to my eyes as the day I marr...errr....took her home.:emmersed:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The first and only new guitar I've ever purchased. Over 36 years and still as beautiful to my eyes as the day I marr...errr....took her home.:emmersed:
You mean you're still living in sin?
It sure looks like a Martin, don't it?
But I'm 99% sure I just found it via my usual technique and I ain't gonna spoil the fun yet.
PM sent.
:friendly_wink:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
You mean you're still living in sin?
It sure looks like a Martin, don't it?
But I'm 99% sure I just found it via my usual technique and I ain't gonna spoil the fun yet.
PM sent.
:friendly_wink:

I've mentioned this git here in the past and figured some might recall.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

Martin D 35 ???

Had typo - if my memory serves me right - that time there were 18 - 28 - 35 - 45

Edit 2 - not 35 - back is like 35 but bling on neck is 45 - so ????

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
that sir...is a very expensive Martin (not sure which model....higher than D-41 I'd reckon)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this git here in the past and figured some might recall.

It was quicker to use my usual method but I didn't actually remember in any case.

Is it ok to tell 'em it ain't a Martin yet?
Oops.
Did I say that out loud?
:biggrin-new:

westerlyborn

Reaction score
I'll say some sort of Martin D35. Perhaps a prototype or special order. If it sounds great, it's not a knock off. Sweet dred.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks a lot like some of my late 70's/early 80's Takamine "Lawsuit" model Guitars with the mixture of a 3 piece back and the Higher grade Martin style inlays. Just a guess.

TX

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In 1981 money would have been, most likely, a top consideration and I am guessing $300-$450 original price and a lawsit Takaminie-agreeing with TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In 1981 money would have been, most likely, a top consideration
It certainly was for me even if not for Terry.
And I am guessing $300-$450 original price and a lawsuit Takaminie-agreeing with TX

I feel ok saying "you're getting colder", and that even what I found, looking virtually identical to Terry's guitar in all regards except for the back, was actually a different brand than Terry's.
It might as well have been a lawsuit guitar itself.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Blueridge as he says it with a cringed face and question mark lol BR73 looking but not the back .

kostask

Reaction score
One of the Martin CEO series. Probably an earlier one, like a CEO2 or CEO3, based on the hexagonal shaped fingerboard inlays. I think the CEO4 also had hexagonal inlays, but they were open (i.e. an outline of a hexagon). Could be wrong, as always.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well it's not the Takamine. The model I was thinking of was the F450S and while it has the same inlays on the top the back is only a 2 piece instead of a 3 piece. The Headstock inlay is different as well. I have a F375SW which has the 3 piece back but a Herringbone D28 style top. Also have the F362S which is the copy of a Gallagher Doc Watson Model. Here is a photo of the F450S top for comparison but lighting is different than Rampside's nice photos.

xrufuhg7gafklo99jnds.jpg

TX

bronzeback

Reaction score
I'm guessing an import as well, not that that is a bad thing. Rosewood bridge and fretboard? 3 piece back, but obviously not a D35. Is that saddle leaning forward like it's too thin for the slot?