Internet pricing

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello from Finland

News today said internet pricing is going up and freedom - of to where you can go - is going down in USA - that is operators will have more power.

So I ask you - how much you pay for month and how fast connection you get and is there data limit?

Over here I pay 16.90€ per month - approximately 20USD - for unlimited data on 4G / LTE. So I am using wireless. Can take it with me anywhere I go. Download speed at best over 120, usually 50-80 and never under 30Mbps.
No limits to any particular websites from here.

Earlier I had much lower speeds due to lower quality LTE-modem - so it is not only operator dependent.

We have several operators who all basically cover entire country - however for best results at your exact location you have to "test-drive" - fortunately we can do that for free for two weeks.

SO - who needs this information ? Not me :tongue-new:

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I pay approx. $50 US per month and have gigabit speeds (1000 megabits per second....very fast) through Google Fiber.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I pay 40 bucks for 60mbps no limit on home but the new FCC Big brother / Corporate America ruling is giving power to big buisness to control our internet . FCC say they keep it fair across the board but it’s all bull Sheets .
Rates will go up and we will be forced to buy packages like we do with tv . They will lower quality and connection speeds of certain sites along with not allowing excess to others .
We will be controlled , resistance is futile .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I pay 40 bucks for 60mbps no limit on home but the new FCC Big brother / Corporate America ruling is giving power to big buisness to control our internet . FCC say they keep it fair across the board but it’s all bull Sheets .
Rates will go up and we will be forced to buy packages like we do with tv . They will lower quality and connection speeds of certain sites along with not allowing excess to others .
We will be controlled , resistance is futile .
allyourroadsign.jpg

In the high lonesome, nobody can hear you signal.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
�� I will not comply .

I'm reminded of AT&T's shenanigans when long-distance was de-regulated.
For a while I could justify the extra $16.00 a month for a low per minute rate..
Then I realized I simply wasn't using that much time anymore.
So I switched to a plan that charged per access at a higher rate, but I was still lower on monthly expense.
I wanted to retain long distance on my landline because audio fidelity was so much better.
Finally they said:
"We're going to stop offering your current pay-per-call long distance service.
You must pick a designated long-distance provider now.
Either return to our monthly-access-fee-plus-per-minute-rate plan, or pick a different provider and then we'll impose a service charge for allowing them to bill you on our bill."

Naturally I cancelled it and limped along on the cell phone for long distance for a couple of years.
Then one day a new service popped up on my cell provider's site offering extremely low long distance including domestic US, on a pay-by-use basis, utilizing a local access line I could dial from my land line.
I'm happy again and ATT can go pound sand.
IN retrospect they probably saw that coming long before I did and tried to protect their interest for as long as they could.
Ideally a similar model'll kick in for the internet.
But I'm still prejudiced against cell phones as a necessary evil because audio quality for actual conversations just keeps getting worse and worse and worse.
HELLO?? It's a telephone..... please fix your tiny little counter-functional mics and speakers, and I'll consider buying one.

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm reminded of AT&T's shenanigans when long-distance was de-regulated.
For a while I could justify the extra $16.00 a month for a low per minute rate..
Then I realized I simply wasn't using that much time anymore.
So I switched to a plan that charged per access at a higher rate, but I was still lower on monthly expense.
I wanted to retain long distance on my landline because audio fidelity was so much better.
Finally they said:
"We're going to stop offering your current pay-per-call long distance service.
You must pick a designated long-distance provider now.
Either return to our monthly-access-fee-plus-per-minute-rate plan, or pick a different provider and then we'll impose a service charge for allowing them to bill you on our bill."

Naturally I cancelled it and limped along on the cell phone for long distance for a couple of years.
Then one day a new service popped up on my cell provider's site offering extremely low long distance including domestic US, on a pay-by-use basis, utilizing a local access line I could dial from my land line.
I'm happy again and ATT can go pound sand.
IN retrospect they probably saw that coming long before I did and tried to protect their interest for as long as they could.
Ideally a similar model'll kick in for the internet.
But I'm still prejudiced against cell phones as a necessary evil because audio quality for actual conversations just keeps getting worse and worse and worse.
HELLO?? It's a telephone..... please fix your tiny little counter-functional mics and speakers, and I'll consider buying one.

AT&T is evil incarnate.

Antney

Reaction score
Not for nothing but isn't this straddling the political blue line?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
AT&T is evil incarnate.

Yes.
And they finally acquired my beloved DirecTV and are slowly twisting it to their own commercially perverted ends.

But fear not, as long as Comcast's around to keep 'em in line:
In a blog post this week, Comcast downplayed concerns, saying customers "will continue to enjoy all of the benefits of an open Internet today, tomorrow, and in the future. Period."
I'm so relieved.
Period.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes.
And they finally acquired my beloved DirecTV and are slowly twisting it to their own commercially perverted ends.

But fear not, as long as Comcast's around to keep 'em in line:
In a blog post this week, Comcast downplayed concerns, saying customers "will continue to enjoy all of the benefits of an open Internet today, tomorrow, and in the future. Period."
I'm so relieved.
Period.

Funny thing about periods they are used everywhere and don’t have to answer for a thing . Lol

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Rush, 2112: "We have assumed control, we have assumed control...".

walrus