Looking for your ideas?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think the main thing is that it needs to be reversible.

After that, you can try anything and see if you like it.

If you are going to do this (you REALLY sure you don't want to just Travis pick it, huh?)

Then go all out. Customize it. I think a black pickguard with something in it to play on the white rose on the bridge would be best. Kind of like the epiphone pickguard but instead of the E, get someone to replicate the white rose.

yl5Cha1.jpg

Clear plastic looks like you put scotch tape on it IMHO. If you're going to do it, make it look like it belongs there.

Not sure I want to raise the level of bling. There's more than enough, already!

But I agree, otherwise.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There's not many options for mounting on a flat-top, Tom.

Not sure the issue with NCL is bubbles. I don't want to try protecting the finish with a material that may damage it.

Honestly, I'm not crazy about how the clear ones look.

Did you see my F47 with it ? Then again I’m sure a few types out which ever one my luthier used he made sure it Guild friendly first it is a standard looking tear drop but it’s very thin and almost unnoticeable at least to me .

jedzep

Reaction score
Ha! No pickguard, no pickguard at all. So pretty without plastic. Hard strumming is foolish, straight or high, as all acoustic guitars have a maximum output and you really shouldn't abuse it past that threshold. Calm down with that.

Over the years you'll appreciate the natural 'ambering' of the unclothed top and find that tonal sweet spot. If you need to wail on something find a funky vintage D25.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Not sure the issue with NCL is bubbles. I don't want to try protecting the finish with a material that may damage it.
I was thinking of the way Westerly used to glue 'em right to the top, figured if the compatiility with NCL was an issue, you should jost be able to use a plain clear one and glue it on with lacquer.
THEN I realized that could be a real can of worms.
Honestly, I'm not crazy about how the clear ones look.
So I guess roadworn's out too, then, huh?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hard strumming is foolish, straight or high, as all acoustic guitars have a maximum output and you really shouldn't abuse it past that threshold. Calm down with that.

The Doyle Dykes model that is in question sports an Adirondack Spruce top and Adirondack Spruce Scalloped Bracing. It was built to be strummed hard as Doyle is pretty aggressive even with his picking styles and likes a quick clear response from his guitars. From other New Hartford Made Guilds I have played and owned with the Adirondack Spruce top and bracing (5 Guild Custom Shop Orpheums and a D55-RS) I can attest to the fact that there is literally no ceiling to the tone (or Maximum output) as hard as I can strum. It just keeps getting louder and clearer. Sitka topped on the other hand will get tone muddy when you try to push it to the same levels. Not strumming it hard would be like buying a Lamborghini and only driving it 35MPH or less back and forth to the grocery store. "Made To Be Played" is the Slogan After All.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Not strumming it hard would be like buying a Lamborghini and only driving it 35MPH or less back and forth to the grocery store. "Made To Be Played" is the Slogan After All.

Some Lamborghinis probably would be topped out at about 35:

Lamborghini-R7-220-Tractor-V-4-0-4.jpg

Still, it's another argument for going roadworn.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the slow response (wink, wink) but I like the tortoise shell just fine.
Really blends better visually than black, which draws you in or the clear which leaves me wanting more.

Dos centavos delivered,
Joe

PittPastor

Reaction score
Not sure I want to raise the level of bling. There's more than enough, already!
But I agree, otherwise.

Yeah, I wouldn't go with the thick outline. I was thinking a single white outline, maybe leading into a white rose. IDK. Just seems like it extends the design that way. Although, TBH, I'm not nuts about the white rose -- though I know it was meaningful to Doyle. Maybe making it the focal point isn't a good idea. You can do the Guild Lock logo or something...

Neal

Reaction score
My entirely unsolicited advice would be to just play it. It would he a real shame to cover up any of that beautiful rosette, IMO.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Clear doesn't fool anybody- I vote for black.
C'mon dude... we're not trying to FOOL anybody. We're trying to protect a SERIOUSLY epic guitar that never came with a pickguard and not make it "damaged" by putting something super intrusive on it!! So although I think you've voted black.......... explain your notion that we're trying to FOOL someone.... Please? Did you look at the dimensions of that guitar? It's a TINY little space between the rosette and the soundhole because of the DEEP cutaway. So how would you, in all seriousness, design that in a "Guild way" to make it look okay? Without destroying the aesthetics of the ..... OH NEVER MIND!! LOL!! :stupid:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

How about pickguard, that is held in place with clips that go into soundhole. The backside of pg could be covered with soft cloth / leather / fur ...
Also the clips should be covered with something that prevents marks on edge of soundhole.
And when you put the pick away and start fingerpicking - you simply pull the pickguard off.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here are my pics of the F47 clear pick guard.

GMO45a4.jpg
[/IMG]

0DmdKZH.jpg
[/IMG]

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Doyle Dykes model that is in question sports an Adirondack Spruce top and Adirondack Spruce Scalloped Bracing. It was built to be strummed hard as Doyle is pretty aggressive even with his picking styles and likes a quick clear response from his guitars. From other New Hartford Made Guilds I have played and owned with the Adirondack Spruce top and bracing (5 Guild Custom Shop Orpheums and a D55-RS) I can attest to the fact that there is literally no ceiling to the tone (or Maximum output) as hard as I can strum. It just keeps getting louder and clearer. Sitka topped on the other hand will get tone muddy when you try to push it to the same levels. Not strumming it hard would be like buying a Lamborghini and only driving it 35MPH or less back and forth to the grocery store. "Made To Be Played" is the Slogan After All.

TX

That's been my experience as well, TX. I find that the Dykes will respond well to just about anything you throw at it, and ask for more.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Rayk, that looks pretty good. Where'd you get it?

My luthier , I’ll ask him about it and let you know . It could be stewmac .

I post a pic on my Custom when I get home after work the top is a little darker might help show it a bit more .

Beautiful top on your F47, Ray. :encouragement:

Joe

Thank you :)

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Some Lamborghinis probably would be topped out at about 35:

Lamborghini-R7-220-Tractor-V-4-0-4.jpg

Still, it's another argument for going roadworn.

What cracks me up most about this is Al is getting to the age where the first thing he thinks about when he hears the word "Lamborghini" is a multi wheel Tractor and not a Sports Car, LOL! The other thing I am worried about is the photo looks like it came from one of the Farm Simulator computer games. Whatcha doing playing "Computer Farming" Al? LOL!

TX