Looking for your ideas?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
While I should probably just hang it on the wall and leave it alone, I play my Doyle Dykes a lot. Great guitar. Trouble is, it has no pickguard, and I use a pick. So, while I try to be careful there are times when I've gotten a bit too aggressive in my picking style (and had a few beers while doing so) and left a some minor marks. Nothing that couldn't be rubbed out, yet, but I can see trouble ahead.

What do you folks think would be the best way to go? The DD-6 is based on the F-47(CE), but has a Venetian cutaway, vs. the Florentine cutaway on the F-47. So the look is pretty different. And the bling level, too.

What do LTGers think would be best? Black vs. tortoise? I'm thinking something like the one pictured below, maybe in black. But I'm not sure.

Tor_Tis_L_00_595564656821e.jpg

PittPastor

Reaction score
First off, if I had the Doyle Dykes signature guitar, I wouldn't hang it on the wall either. Made to be played, right?

Secondly, have you considered that this is God's way of telling you its time to learn Travis picking?

Finally, can't possibly say without seeing it up against the guitar. That yellow isn't going to be easy to match. It's bright!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just an observation Dave but don't the Doyle Dykes models have the same cutaway as the New Hartford made F47RCE and F47Mce? Just looking at a few photos and they appear to be similar if not the same.

The Doyle Dykes cutaway.

crop_2_1jpg.jpg

The New Hartford Made F47CE cutaway.

traditional_series_mainimage_f-47mc_w-dtar-1500x630.jpg

TX

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Because of the DD bling, I'd be inclined to go with black for a cleaner, classier look and I'm assuming the PG you're thinking about , isn't going cover any of the wide ring on the rosette.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Herco (and others) make clear tap plates aimed at flamenco players, might be worth a look.
Brad

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think black would match the ebony appointments but, as Brad mentioned, you could go clear for a stealth approach. That’s what I did on my Rounder, and, unless the light hits it’s just right, all but disappears. I got a blank sheet from StewMac and cut it to shape.

img_8991.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tortoise, since it's a Guild of recent vintage, and Guilds should have PGs. Just sayin'. :)

That said, clear would also be a modern option here, like Chris showed. If I were you, I might go that way.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You really have to look to see that guard, Chris - looks great! This might be the way to go for the DD...

walrus

swiveltung

Reaction score
I like that old school type of tortoise, but with all the bling on the DD, why cover it up? I'd just go with a thin clear guard.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I like that old school type of tortoise, but with all the bling on the DD, why cover it up? I'd just go with a thin clear guard.

We talking about the thin "removable" plastic ones? Every one I've seen advises against using with a nitro finish. Not crazy about the thicker clear ones.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My mind immediately went to clear. I think that would be the best. Don's Irish made Avalon has a clear pickguard and it's got a satin finish. You have to really work to see the thing and it just disappears. If you CAN do clear, that's what I'd do. I just don't think that guitar was meant to have a pickguard (at least, a visible one) and it's got a lot going on already. Just one opinion.....

p.s. - I have 3 guitars without pickguards. My Washburn is 22 years old and has some very light scratching (could probably be buffed out). Taylor I've had six years and I see nothing in the poly finish. Breedlove is only months old and I think it's fine. So although I THINK I do some aggressive strumming at times, apparently my perception is different from the actual. I'll be watching the Breedlove carefully though and if scratches start to turn up, I might do a clear guard just to protect that beautiful blue lacquered finish. Wow, my p.s. was longer than my post! LOL!!

p.p.s. - Chris that's a beautiful guitar!! Short scale?

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I vote Clear to as I have two installed one on my custom and one on the F47Koa GSR Bear claw top , ya can’t cover that beauty up ;)

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
I'd go with clear on this one, too, and cut to the shape of the NH F-47 guard.

Larrivee used clear guards originally, and I've always liked that option on certain models. Your DD offers a visual treat just as it stands. Covering some of that up could quite possibly detract from the whole.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Another vote for clear both for the visibility of the rosette and to retain the original DD appearance.
And working with Fixit, don't you have access to a variety of mounting techniques?
OK, I'm starting to understand how it might take some real careful planning to lay down a clear 'guard over nitro without getting bubbles under the finish.
Seems like Chris pulled it off though, assuming that guitar's NCL?
Also, just remembered my D40's second guard was of the "peel off the backing" variety and was intended to go on an NCL finish, so one'd think there's a viable source for clear stock out there too.

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
I think the main thing is that it needs to be reversible.

After that, you can try anything and see if you like it.

If you are going to do this (you REALLY sure you don't want to just Travis pick it, huh?)

Then go all out. Customize it. I think a black pickguard with something in it to play on the white rose on the bridge would be best. Kind of like the epiphone pickguard but instead of the E, get someone to replicate the white rose.

yl5Cha1.jpg

Clear plastic looks like you put scotch tape on it IMHO. If you're going to do it, make it look like it belongs there.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
While I should probably just hang it on the wall and leave it alone, I play my Doyle Dykes a lot. Great guitar. Trouble is, it has no pickguard, and I use a pick. So, while I try to be careful there are times when I've gotten a bit too aggressive in my picking style (and had a few beers while doing so) and left a some minor marks. Nothing that couldn't be rubbed out, yet, but I can see trouble ahead.

I changed my mind. Give it the roadworn treatment and stop worrying.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Another vote for clear both for the visibility of the rosette and to retain the original DD appearance.
And working with Fixit, don't you have access to a variety of mounting techniques?
OK, I'm starting to understand how it might take some real careful planning to lay down a clear 'guard over nitro without getting bubbles under the finish.
Seems like Chris pulled it off though, assuming that guitar's NCL?
Also, just remembered my D40's second guard was of the "peel off the backing" variety and was intended to go on an NCL finish, so one'd think there's a viable source for clear stock out there too.

There's not many options for mounting on a flat-top, Tom.

Not sure the issue with NCL is bubbles. I don't want to try protecting the finish with a material that may damage it.

Honestly, I'm not crazy about how the clear ones look.