Happy Birthday to me -- New Guild Day - Savoy A150

PittPastor

Reaction score
Well, although I didn't plan it this way, it just so happens that the new (to me) Guild Savoy A150 arrived on my Birthday. I'll probably take it to Stuart Day to give me a full evaluation sometime in the next few days... and we'll see if its staying or not. I have to say though, it seems like it might.

Initial impressions. (I've only played it acoustic so far).

At first look over, it is in surprisingly good shape. It Shipped in a Fender Ontario CA box. I don't think it is the "Original" box, though, since the box had "Made in Indonesia" on it. Inside was the Guild OHSC. There was still a plastic protector over the Guild logo/badge on the case. The case has a couple of scuff marks on it.

The guitar itself looks in at least "Excellent" condition, and darn near mint.There isn't a scratch or scuff mark on it. Just fingerprint smudge marks. I checked for the dreaded "Crack near the volume knob" and found nothing at all. (GC listed it as "Very Good" -- but unless I'm missing something, they sold it short.)

Strings were loosened, of course, for shipping. That lead to a moment of strangeness. I tuned it up and everything was fine -- except a buzzing on the B string. It sounded like a really weird buzz, too. I investigated and found that while the strings were loose, the G string had slipped into the same notch as the B string. Yikes. Once that was fixed things sounded much better!

Strings on it look like nickel. Just eyeballing, I'd guess mediums. Does anyone know what these are supposed to ship with? I haven't changed them and probably won't until I get a thumbs up from Stuart.

Action is higher than I am used to -- but the strings go down really easy. First time I have ever played an archtop, but it seemed like the travel distance from string to fret was much more than I was used to.

Sound is cool. Different from my D40C, of course. I would say maybe a little woody, or muted. But, it's an acoustic sound -- not an electric that you can "kind of, sort of, hear". I can't wait to plug this in and hear how it sounds under power.

Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic that this is going to be a keeper. I'll wait until a professional weighs in. One thing about it, is Stuart is a leading authority on Archtops. It's who he apprenticed under and what he is known for -- So I feel comfortable he'll be able to give me a good assessment.

In the meantime... I know, I know: Pics, or it didn't happen... (I need to get a better phone...)

qtEOu3R.jpg

1nMqRVv.jpg

e1oDDdd.jpg

QxtS3yC.jpg

bobouz

Reaction score
Congrats - very nice!

Yours was made just a little bit after mine in 2014. You didn't show the back, but if it's similar (even though I have the natural finish version), I would imagine there's a lot of flaming to the maple on the back side.

Can't recall if the stock strings were light or medium gauge, but the flatwounds were just too thumpy for me. It will be a whole different animal with acoustic strings on it, but in the end, it'll all depend on what you eventually find most appealing - so let the experimentation begin!

PittPastor

Reaction score
Yours was made just a little bit after mine in 2014. You didn't show the back, but if it's similar (even though I have the natural finish version), I would imagine there's a lot of flaming to the maple on the back side.
Ru8gQDG.jpg

Pics look all blurry. Guess I need to turn the flash on and try again:

PittPastor

Reaction score
I just looked it up on the Guild website. What they are supposedly shipping with now are:

D’Addario® ECG25 Chromes Flat Wound, Light, (.012-.052 Gauges)

I really think the E is bigger than .012 -- so maybe the strings were changed? IDK. Anyway, as soon as it passes its checkup, I'll start experimenting.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats! I may be wrong, but it looks like you might still have the protective paper under the bridge. Do I detect torn edges? If so, use some blue tape to mark the bridge’s position, loosen the strings, and get that paper out of there.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Congrats! I may be wrong, but it looks like you might still have the protective paper under the bridge. Do I detect torn edges? If so, use some blue tape to mark the bridge’s position, loosen the strings, and get that paper out of there.

Wow AcornHouse! You have a good eye! I was just playing it and noticed the same thing. But I was inches away before I saw it. Might be some of that muted sound, eh? That's crazy, isn't it? This guitar is almost 4 years old. No one removed the protective paper??? I think someone bought it. Tried playing it and didn't' like it. Set it aside for awhile. Then changed the strings to mediums. Played it some more. Still didn't like it. So, they packed it up and traded it in at GC. If this has been played a dozen times I'd be surprised.

I'm holding off on doing anything. I sent an email to Stuart and I would like to give him first look at it before I muddle things up. If I can't get to him for a week or so, I'm probably going to do exactly what you say. I was also testing intonation, and it seems that the low E is a little sharp when I get to 12th fret. Hi E is dead on. So, probably have to adjust the bridge slightly. Also, the action is too high.

Hard to show it. But this feels high.

3652f2Q.jpg

But, if I keep it, I'll probably just pay Stuart to do a full set-up anyway. And right now, I'm really thinking this is a solid guitar and I'm keeping it.

But, I'm making myself wait.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
3652f2Q.jpg

That action looks high to me. Might just be a truss rod adjustment.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations and happy birthday! That’s a beautiful guitar. I’m sure you will be able to drop the action on it, but you might loose some acoustic volume.
AcornHouse might be right, it there paper under the bridge?
Anyway, enjoy!

PittPastor

Reaction score
Happy birthday, PittPastor!
Thanks chazmo!

It's official! You've been bit on your birthday. :emmersed: They are hard to resist indeed.

Sleeko! Nice... Yeah. I was bit. And. I have to say, my best birthday since 2002. On December 13 in 2002, after 7 months of paperwork and waiting, my (then) fiance finally got her Visa and was able to come here. So, the Savoy has nice curves and all, but 2002 is still my favorite birthday. (Today, she's my patient and understanding wife who listens to why I really need that Guild Savoy now!, even though we still have a hole in the plaster from a home improvement project that I did four years ago and have never quite finished...)
However, this is probably #2 -- at least that I can remember!
cEVmf5g.jpg

Us In 2002

Congratulations and happy birthday! That’s a beautiful guitar. I’m sure you will be able to drop the action on it, but you might loose some acoustic volume.
AcornHouse might be right, it there paper under the bridge?

AcornHouse is absolutely right.

And I'll trade some unplugged volume for less achy fingertips... Thanks for the suggestions!

That action looks high to me. Might just be a truss rod adjustment.

That would be great if so. But If I understand it correctly the height is adjustable on the floating bridge anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal (he says hoping...)

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep. A few turns on the bridge adjustment knobs and you could be right were you want. The pickup poles might need to be lowered, if you change the string height a good amount. Also an easy change. Of course, if the LIKE what you hear, there may be no need to change that.

bobouz

Reaction score
The pickup poles might need to be lowered, if you change the string height a good amount.
The stock D'Armond pickup on the A-150 does not have adjustable poles, or any other built-in form of adjustment - other than being able to slide it a bit on the shortened "monkey-on-a-stick" mounting bracket.

Personally, I really like the sound of this single-coil pickup, but then I'm also a bit of a P-90 fanatic!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
But, if I keep it, I'll probably just pay Stuart to do a full set-up anyway. And right now, I'm really thinking this is a solid guitar and I'm keeping it.

But, I'm making myself wait.

OK, I now think it's safe to offer a real congrats!
And yes while you can adjust string height at the bridge, Stuart can also take a look at the nut slots.
And yes I think the paper under the bridge is blocking a bit of vibration transmission, and should be removed.
THEN you'll really feel like you own it.
:friendly_wink:

PittPastor

Reaction score
OK, I now think it's safe to offer a real congrats!
And yes while you can adjust string height at the bridge, Stuart can also take a look at the nut slots.
And yes I think the paper under the bridge is blocking a bit of vibration transmission, and should be removed.
THEN you'll really feel like you own it.
:friendly_wink:

Buying a used guitar through the internet is like watching a football game and you see a touchdown grab in the corner of the endzone -- you want to cheer... but you know you have to wait until the referees review it first.

Stuart emailed me back. He's in the shop today and tomorrow. It will probably be tomorrow before I can get him to look it over. But if he gives me the thumbs up, I'll just leave it with him, and pick it up -- set-up with new strings.-- But, yeah, feeling pretty good about it.

PittPastor

Reaction score
OK. Just got back from Stuart Day's -- he looked over the Savoy. He said what I pretty much thought: It is in mint condition. (I'm feeling like I caught a bargain here...)

He says its fine. There are two things he didn't like about it -- but they were design flaws, not guitar issues.The first thing he noticed was the weakness near the volume knob (as Bobouz noted). He said: "First thing I would do it put something under the pickguard to protect that. I have a piece of hard foam I can cut and put there to add stabilization."

The second thing he didn't like was where the jack plugged in. He says they should reinforce the area there inside the guitar. And he advised to be careful when I jack in or jack out.

As far as this particular guitar, he said its intonation was pretty really good for a factory setup. And the paper under the floating bridge (which he says he has seen many times before but it always amazes him) is definitely muting the tone. He'll remove that, do a full setup and lower the action. The frets above the 12 fret are a little high, so he's going to do a partial fret rework, just on those frets. Also remove a couple of slight high spots in the fretboard. I also noticed that the ends of the frets protruded a little on the high side, so he's going to bring those in to line. All of that and replacing the strings: $138.

I'm keeping it (yay!) so I just left it with him. I should get it back on Wendesday.

Over all, he was pretty impressed with it. He is a huge fan of Archtops. He apprenticed under some of the foremost archtop builders in the country, so he has a real fondness for them. It was interesting to watch him play it and test it out. You could tell he enjoyed doing this with an archtop more than he does a flat top.

It's in good hands! Can't wait to get it back all setup and start playing.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Rialto1564

Reaction score
The second thing he didn't like was where the jack plugged in. He says they should reinforce the area there inside the guitar. And he advised to be careful when I jack in or jack out. Thanks all!

Those look really nice and I'm glad you got a good one. Sounded great in a demo video I watched.

Regarding the jackplate, I always use a right angle plug on hollowbodies. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck with it.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Cool !
How did it sound ? Did he play it acoustic or plugged in ?

He played it both. Sounded better plugged in of course! And the unplugged sound is being muffled by the protective paper under the bridge. I'll have a better opinion when I get it back and it is set up, unmuffled, and intonated right...

Those look really nice and I'm glad you got a good one. Sounded great in a demo video I watched.
Regarding the jackplate, I always use a right angle plug on hollowbodies. Better safe than sorry.
Good luck with it.

That's a good point. I have a right angled cable, too. I imagine that will be S.O.P. moving forward. Thx!