NGD Newark St. Starfire III

wmachine

Reaction score
I'm a long time Guild fan going back to the sixties when a Guild 12 string was the best one could buy. But way out of my budget. Never did have a Guild until now. (99% electric now). I have quite a few of quite a few brands, mostly mainstream makes.
This Starfire III caught my attention for quite a few reasons (including a price I couldn't refuse), and I can now finally say I bought a Guild.
As strange as this sounds, I bought it new from Walmart.

I picked up my Walmart purchase Sunday. Only time for a once over, a quick plug and play, and a quick obligatory pic.
No shipping issues.
The case is excellent (5 latches, all working as they should). The guitar fit in the case is excellent too.
Great wow factor when you open the case. This is one beautiful guitar. Fit and finish are impressive. Up there with the best of the Koreans, and better than some US. Very nice mahogany wood grain unnecessarily the same front and rear. In my hands, it has a really nice, familiar, and comfortable feel. Tuned up nicely, and though smallish, the Grover tuners are smooth and solid.
A couple strums put a big smile on my face, as it played smooth, up and down the neck, and unplugged it really sings out acoustically and with impressive sustain. At 6-5/8 lbs, it feels very solid, but obviously not heavy. The strings it comes with don't send me running out to change them right away, either.

My excitement was tempered a bit after I plugged it in, though. The only problem of any real significance was the toggle switch. (These toggles are about the only real problem I've had with any of my new guitars. Don't know why that seems to be my "problem of choice". But compared to everything else, I'll accept that, especially if it is the only problem)
"Either" worked okay, but "both" was one only (middle position not working correctly). Same as my other toggle problems ironically.
But additionally, the toggle was so loose in the switch housing, I thought it was a joystick at first. So that gets replaced. (Not as easy on a hollow body, though.)
The pups are fine and I like them. Nice range and flavor. I'd have to play them more to define them better. The pots are bit of a concern though. Don't like the apparent taper, or should I say lack of. I'll have to give them some more time to evaluate too.
After playing it a little, I looked closely at the setup and was surprised it was visually off a lot more than it felt. So it should be even better playing when dialed in. The neck needs just a little truss rod adjustment along with the bridge.
I'll have my guy replace the switch and do the setup.

The initial verdict? Very nice, and a keeper. In fact I was thinking that even if all the electronics were ripped out and replaced, it would still be worth it. The guitar itself is that good.

OCdB1yDWkYeEVMNTIOfIQCpFmpt0KNhik3e0yj90RtjXMjg50LJUVj3pO1nEd3mC-FytTDZk_a_ygKLnAmKIkv43lfYXptyx-6Wzq2cPBb-iQZ6TbxhItqSJTqri4NS2CrM9Zoke-XE5JUhSQ7ucIaBJq2bbmW3uUWThxxIqhuuCqTaP-wpHZynu7Hq0Pk1vrRzA3avcjjgAidLoZE8UAV7dj52Aa-Cn65x18yPWRnMYNe79_-nI0_SobBoCuK3AfLTxeBo5LehHZSXfJq2wtKlXFUqDo2KcdidWX4GjwkoYtkhau0tTyqWdc2xxrzvGODM5DsyGZiY8cy7qlgGydJS5sN3j1vCqY3YDFnhf2Iux9JRek4HuegSLd9pqsCjwhNo92_qRFZKbRka5aA5McW0x2_z1G9nQARqlJU_5CVATMjEM-YcyH4gYLSkJKN5EC87mt9qAJe4-JABrtjfe_y_mK-3u0g0lerLQk4nh9Zrnvtd-6ls0cwpgi571gi_q7L1bPx4iLPCtCDyb_w-4AdGwBTcy_Incg05bfOvvnyeK5V9PSRd_XM5y0TysRdibxQmu0tQGCZtUwBuSnX81CFJkT_Y-072-XqhLtZnOrXywjj3dPzqWvmh7pwmbYYJznGtX_KbYiiTD6eOw-kerqrVT3Q1ZORhTsz8=w321-h768-no

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Glad the initial impression was positive. Interesting that you got it at Walmart. It has taken Guild a while to ramp up production to the point where they could support large retailers with selected models.

wmachine

Reaction score
Welcome. Glad the initial impression was positive. Interesting that you got it at Walmart. It has taken Guild a while to ramp up production to the point where they could support large retailers with selected models.
Thank you. The same model most other Starfire models have been available from the big box music retailers too. But a few (like this one) have been available through Amazon and Walmart, and this was available as a kit that included Chromecast accessories. In this particular case, Amazon had this Starfire III kit reduced to $565 on closeout. They sold out fairly quickly, apparently. As they often do, Walmart matched the Amazon price, also on closeout. When I noticed it, the Walmart ad said "1 left". I also noticed it was "sold and shipped" by Walmart meaning I could pick it up at my local Walmart and have 90 days to return it if whatever. So, I did not hesitate to buy it with that no risk aspect. And it was indeed the last one.

bobouz

Reaction score
Welcome!

Sounds & looks very nice.

Now for more fun, there's the high probability of future Guild lust!