U2 vs the Rolling Stones

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, some may consider the Stones a Karaoke band but personally, I think they play great R&R, Blues and actually some pretty good Country stuff. Go ahead and bash away but I love 'em, always have and always will.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, some may consider the Stones a Karaoke band but personally, I think they play great R&R, Blues and actually some pretty good Country stuff. Go ahead and bash away but I love 'em, always have and always will.

Oh, I like the Stones a lot, and Keith Richards is one of my favorite guitarists. Just pointing out their lack of original music over the last several years (decades, maybe...).

And BTW, if you are into reading, let me again recommend Richards' autobiography "Life", one the best and most entertaining rock biographies ever written!

walrus

geoguy

Reaction score
Peter Wolf tells a funny story, in relating Mick Jagger's comment about Keith Richards' autobiography:

"How can a man write a book, who has never read one?!?" :applouse:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Peter Wolf tells a funny story, in relating Mick Jagger's comment about Keith Richards' autobiography:

"How can a man write a book, who has never read one?!?" :applouse:

He was his own ghost writer.
:glee:

Oh yeah:
Chicago.
(thanks to a work buddy)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw ZZ Top in '73 when I was in the Navy. Their opening band was a bunch of new guys: Aerosmith.

Reaction score
X is still intact and started in 1979,

Bob Dylan is still intact and can't break up!

AS far as the Stone I lost interest after the Mick Taylor years.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
X is still intact and started in 1979,
But not continuously.
Bob Dylan is still intact and can't break up!
Ruled out under the rules for this discussion, has had several different backing bands.
Point was we're looking for bands not "Stars with a backing band" (which is why Springsteen don't qualify either), or bands that break up and have reunions every few years.
And did anybody catch that I added Chicago back in post #26?
Just realized the Smithereens shoulda made the cut and in fact still will if they replace DiNizio.
And don't shout heresy, that was one of the points, too: If remaining members of a band want to continue in the wake of a member's death, I believe they've got every right to do so.
It is, after all, their chosen profession.
So, new list, up to between 10 and 12 depending on how you classify the last 2:
U2 (And actually if we want to use first record release date U2 is actually only at 37 years.)
Stones
ZZ Top
Aerosmith
Santana
AC/DC
Crazy Horse
George Strait and Ace in the Hole
Chicago (and because of them I remembered another band with a great horn section who also meets the criteria, continuously active for 40 years or more ):
Tower of Power

I also accept Rush deserves at least an honorary slot due to differences of opinion about what constitutes a "real" breakup.
If 2 members chose not to "accept" a resignation and considered themselves a band waiting for the return of a disabled member, that's a gray area, and otherwise they'd meet the continuity criteria which is the dedication to "the band" I'm really looking for.
It's why I counted Crazy Horse even though there's only 2 original members, but not Neil, because they haven't been his backing band continuously for all those years.
Gonna nominate the Smithereens along with Rush, too, pending news about their future.
They woulda made the list on the day I originally asked the question, if I'd remembered 'em.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Another nominee: Yes.

walrus

Loss of continuity, otherwise I would have put 'em on the original list..
From the usual source :
"Left as the sole remaining members, Downes and Howe opted not to continue with the group and went their own separate ways in December "
My 2 best buddies back in the day were major Yes fans and even personally acquainted with Anderson when he lived in San Luis Obispo CA and at that time the insight was that the band was basically so fragmented that reunions were questionable, and I have to admit that I was unaware of that formal dissolution until I checked Wiki.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate to grudgingly admit this, but according to my own criteria the Elton John Band qualifies.
Gosh, thanks, boss.
Can somebody lock this thread now?
:eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
X never broke up just took breaks and temp replacement guitar player's. They are the not the band of revolt I liked with my tenure in the early 80's but I still amazed they are still playing,

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Can't have Elton John, based on your own rules:

"(Bob Dylan is) Ruled out under the rules for this discussion, has had several different backing bands.
Point was we're looking for bands not "Stars with a backing band" (which is why Springsteen don't qualify either)"

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Can't have Elton John, based on your own rules:

"(Bob Dylan is) Ruled out under the rules for this discussion, has had several different backing bands.
Point was we're looking for bands not "Stars with a backing band" (which is why Springsteen don't qualify either)"

walrus

Elton's band has remained the same (with original players even) and has been known as the "Elton John Band" since the first album and he is technically the piano player and vocalist in said band.
And they've never "retired" and then reformed for a re-union tour.
From "the usual source":
"Since 1970, John's band, of which he is the pianist and lead singer, has been known as the Elton John Band."
Dylan (like Springsteen) has had multiple bands, and is technically a solo artist who uses different backing bands, like Neil Young.
And Jeff Beck and tons of jazz players.
I consider that a different category of performer, that's all.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
X never broke up just took breaks and temp replacement guitar player's. They are the not the band of revolt I liked with my tenure in the early 80's but I still amazed they are still playing,

From you-know-where:
"After touring for the album, X released a live record of the tour, titled Live at the Whisky a Go-Go, and then went on an extended hiatus.[6]"
Like, 6 years.
And then:
"In 1997, X released a compilation called Beyond and Back: The X Anthology, which focused heavily on the early years with Zoom and included a number of previously unreleased versions of songs that had appeared on their previous albums. At the same time, they also announced that they were disbanding. However, they did a farewell tour to promote the compilation in 1998, with Zoom returning on guitar"
I mean, I like 'em too, and I gag on Elton John, but, that band never quit.
That's what I'm looking for.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Levon is the only song by Elton I like. Great song.
Once again amazed by how similar our tastes are in some ways.
I seem to recall there was one other tune on the album I could get into, but Levon's the only one I remember the name of, and the one that caused me to give him any grudging respect at all when I finally heard it in around '82 or so.