50th Anniversary Of Otis Redding Death 12/10/17

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe that tomorrow December 10, 2017 will be the 50th Anniversary of the Plane crash that Killed Otis Redding as well as the Bar-Kays members Guitarist Jimmy King, Tenor Saxophonist Phalon Jones, Organist Ronnie Caldwell, and Drummer Carl Cunningham. Their Valet Matthew Kelly and Pilot Richard Fraser also perished in the crash. Otis had recorded "(Sittin' On) The Dock of The Bay" three days earlier. I have been a fan of his music since I first heard my mother playing it when I was a kid. In the short time he was here he certainly left his mark on music and right when his career was taking off he was taken away at the young age of 26.

Most people think of "Dock of The Bay" when they hear his name but personally I am a fan of some of his other songs such as "Pain In My Heart", "My Lover's Prayer", "These Arms of Mine", "I've Been Loving You Too Long", "Tramp" with Carla Thomas, "That's How Strong My Love Is", and "I've Got Dreams To Remember" to name more than a few. He was an Amazing songwriter and an even more Amazing vocalist in my opinion. There are few artists that when you hear their song start while being covered by someone else that you say to yourself, "Come on, Don't mess this up" and hope the person singing does the song justice. My top two are Otis Redding and Marvin Gaye. If you can't do it justice then just don't mess with it, LOL!

My folks used to tell me when I was younger, "Son, If you can't polish a belt buckle while dancing to Otis Redding then there is something wrong with you that can't be fixed", LOL! If you haven't listened to his music I highly recommend "The Very Best of Otis Redding" as it has 16 wonderful tracks on it and all of them are great. If you have listened to him then I am just preaching to the choir.

Tonight I am kicking back with Otis on the CD player wishing I was in a Smokey little R&B club in Baton Rouge or sitting on the Beach In Dauphin Island, Alabama watching the fish school by in the clear waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Here is to you Otis, May you forever Rest in Peace and thanks for writing & singing some of my Favorite Parts to the soundtrack to my life.

Otis Redding (September 9, 1941-December 10, 1967)

rs-134878-otis-redding.jpg

TX

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
What a giant he was! I remember knowing of him but saw a live concert on his from TV one time & was absolutely blown I away. i remember laughing in delight and wonder while watching.

I vaguely remember it was B&W film & he was wearing white but maybe that's my memory going on me. This below at Monterey is fantastic:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Otis Redding also deserves respect for writing "Respect" in a malleable enough way that Aretha could flip the song's meaning on its head and make it better.

-Dave-