Staight edge on Fret board

beecee

Reaction score
From Fretnot:

Ideally the a straightedge, sitting atop the frets, should pass over the top of the bridge slightly when no string tension is on the instrument.

Um, have I been doing it wrong??? I do it with strings on.

I may have passed on some real gems over the years.

What is the generally accepted way, and how long of a straightedge do you use.

Boy life sure has a way of providing ample opportunity to make a knucklehead out of yourself!!!!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I personally always check the neck angle while the strings are under tension as that will give you a true reading on the neck angle in the exact configuration you will be playing it in. I check it on the treble side just inside the High "E", The Center in between the "D" and "G" strings, and the Bass side just inside the Low "E" string. As far as what I use, I have a 20" piece of aluminum that has fret reliefs cut out on each side, one side is for 24.75" scale length and the other is for 25.5" scale length. This tool is used for checking relief and the straightness of a neck without the frets affecting the outcome. Then to check the neck angle you just move it down a half a fret and let the straight edge rest on the frets. I normally measure from the 4th or 5th fret to the bridge and the straight edge should be even with the top of the wood bridge or just above it for an excellent neck angle. Here is a link to the tool I use. Bought it on Ebay and it has been an invaluable tool for a few years now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-1-Neck...144240?hash=item41cbfbb230:g:p6EAAOSwNw5ZgNoN

Best of luck!

TX

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
From Fretnot:

Ideally the a straightedge, sitting atop the frets, should pass over the top of the bridge slightly when no string tension is on the instrument.

Um, have I been doing it wrong??? I do it with strings on.

I may have passed on some real gems over the years.

What is the generally accepted way, and how long of a straightedge do you use.

Boy life sure has a way of providing ample opportunity to make a knucklehead out of yourself!!!!!
That’s pretty much the procedure during the build process, to get the neck angle before the neck has been glued on. Once the neck is on, no reason not to do it with strings on, since you can’t change the neck angle.

beecee

Reaction score
Thanks both.

Would neck relief affect the results?

BTW: I looked up Frets.com and he mentioned measuring string height at bridge at low E, takes relief out of the equation he said.

F-47 was spot on at .5". F-312, much lower.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks both.

Would neck relief affect the results?
Neck relief is usually added or subtracted by way of the truss rod, combined with string tension, since it involves putting (or taking away) a bow into the neck.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Neck relief is usually added or subtracted by way of the truss rod, combined with string tension, since it involves putting (or taking away) a bow into the neck.

Like this, where the bow is almost on the neck?

aa0b0b7ad4c56356db6dcd52c1483d4c.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Good info just used it to double my work on the CV1 and everything is pretty spot on , neck angle is about 1/16 low but considering past work I’d call it spot on

Did you use the genuine Guild urethane bushing shims or those cheap compressible soft lead Chinese knock-offs?
:tongue-new:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Did you use the genuine Guild urethane bushing shims or those cheap compressible soft lead Chinese knock-offs?
:tongue-new:
I used cheap urethane drawer slide guides