I Got Noogied!!!

Cabarone

Reaction score
A reference to my "NUGD" post last month...after a nerve-wracking week I was able to pull the trigger on an older D25-12...thing's like new and man, does it ring! I'm going to try to post a pic (sorry for the poor quality).

Got a question: the serial # starts "CH"...the headstock is stamped, "Made in U.S.A."...haven't found that designation anywhere, though...?

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Would the "CH" stand for Cherry by chance? Congrats!
I have a rule of 3 on acoustics. 3 is my max and they must all be loved for different reasons. I am feeling like a D-25 will be my 3rd. Likely a vintage that DOES NOT need a reset. But hell I could end up with another GAD. Wouldn't hurt my feelings.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
congrats on what sounds like a clean find!

a CH at the beginning of that serial # could possibly be a D-4-12 from 1992 or 1993. it looks just the same as the D-25-12 and ultimately/virtually/essentially is the same guitar with different finish and trimmings. so it is possible you have a D-4-12 or a D-25-12 with a D-4-12 serial number, Hans Moust is the one to ask, he is a member here and Author of the Guild Guitar Book. he also has Jedi powers and knows how to use the force.

also note there are some major differences (primarily in price) between a Guild D- "4-12" and a Guild F-412...I had to get into detail on that with someone recently, ha!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A reference to my "NUGD" post last month...after a nerve-wracking week I was able to pull the trigger on an older D25-12...thing's like new and man, does it ring! I'm going to try to post a pic (sorry for the poor quality).

Got a question: the serial # starts "CH"...the headstock is stamped, "Made in U.S.A."...haven't found that designation anywhere, though...?
Congrats, Cabarone!
I assume the label's missing and that's why the seller couldn't ID it correctly?
Suspect it really is a D4-12 that was mis-identified in the ad, "CH" does fit with 92-93 D4-12's and only that model:
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf
Just occurred to me if it's a "satin" finish it has to be a D4-12, they didn't make 'em in gloss at that time, and a D25 was only finished in High Gloss.
I assume the label's missing and that's why the seller couldn't ID it correctly?
What Mavuser said about 'em being essentially D25's is correct to the point that you'll note that during '94 it looks like there're no D25's , but that was probably because they started using the same s/n sequence for both of 'em during that year, as can be seen starting with the '95 listings, and the D25's couldn't be sorted out from the s/n records alone.
From '95 forward there is no way tell a D4 from a D25 by s/n alone, "read between those lines"...
:friendly-wink:

bobouz

Reaction score
>> 1992 D4-12 up to #CH-000631

>> 1993 D4-12 up to #CH-001045

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Here's an example of a D4-12, with a "CH" serial number from the Pittsburgh Craigslist.

I've played several examples of the six-string D4, and gave one to the wife. Good guitars, and the 12-string example has gotta be good, too.

Cabarone

Reaction score
Hans messaged me and cleared it up...it's a D25, never was any doubt about that (that's what the inner label says), I just couldn't find a serial # listing for them that started w/"CH"...like I said, Hans got me straight on it...he IS da man!!!

I'm still amazed at the sound of that thing; loud and full...it just rings (wish I could come up w/a better descriptive)...

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm still amazed at the sound of that thing; loud and full...it just rings (wish I could come up w/a better descriptive)...

Congrats on your new 12-string! Guild knows how to make 'em!