Thread: December 7, 1941

December 7, 1941

I neither heard nor read anything about Pearl Harbor today. Interesting.

Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

Other:
    Seagull S6

Glad history recorded it, else we soon forget. Had a friend whose ship was docked just outside Pearl Harbor when first bomb dropped. He would not talk about it much.

I live a few hundred yards from Pearl Harbor and think about December 7, 1941 all the time. For many it happened so long ago they simply can't relate to it, nor Korea, nor Vietnam. It all happened last century......so it's all ancient history to them.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1972 F-30 (purchased new in 1973; my FIRST Guild guitar!), (sold in 1979), (re-purchased this same guitar in 2013)
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

Because there are better things to discuss, right about now?
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Blog Entries
    I did. I don't recall much on broadcast news but I ran across several articles in newspapers, social media, and content aggregation. I specifically recall a colorized image (or perhaps it was originally in color, but I had never seen it) of a small boat rescuing sailors from the water and another article about the recovery of downed Japanese plane.

I do agree that anecdotally the coverage was less this year and I expect that is because so many other things are in the news.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

I heard a few brief news stories about it. And when someone in my class asked for the date, I told them what day it was - always good to remind the younger generation of their history...

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

I remember one year when crew the members of the Hawaii Air Guard's F-4 Phantoms, that were assigned to the Pearl Harbor December 7th flyover, were all of Japanese ancestry. It wasn't planned that way, just happened.

Another year I got to meet one of the Japanese pilots that took out the USS Arizona. I believe that there were four Japanese pilots in all visiting on that day. The American tourists that were visiting the USS Arizona Memorial on that day, were not told who these men were. The US Park Service felt it was safer to handle it that way.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1972 F-30 (purchased new in 1973; my FIRST Guild guitar!), (sold in 1979), (re-purchased this same guitar in 2013)
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

My father was a WWII and Korean war vet, so, even though he wasn't at Pearl Harbor, Pearl Harbor Day was significant at our house. Exactly 30 years later, it became special for me in another way as it was the date I left country, out of Danang, Vietnam, and returned home.
    MIKE

X-700
    X-500
    X-160
    SF-III
    SF-III P90
    SF-V
    M-75
    M-80
    4 BLUESBIRDS
    PEREGRINE
    JF-55
    DV-52
    various other brands but do the others really matter?

I fear PC has made it so talking about something, even historically significant, that puts another country in a bad light, is looked down upon or at LEAST makes people uncomfortable.
    1974 Ovation Legend
    Walden G2070
    G&L Legacy Tribute
    1984 Ovation 1758 12 string
    2010 Guild F47R
    2013 Guild NS X175-B
    1998 Guild Starfire IV
    2008 Prototype D55
    2016 Guild NS X175 Sunburst

Odd. I saw many posts on social media about it. Tributes and such. Not sure what "interesting" means.... is it code for something?

Quote Originally Posted by Default View Post
    Because there are better things to discuss, right about now?
    I think that's probably true, most of my California friends are trying to keep their horses alive and their barns from burning down. Some have been successful, some not so much. So many horses dead and so much land and real estate, homes, and livelihoods gone up in flames. They probably didn't have time to remember the Maine (different history, I know)..... you know? When you're running for your life, it kinda puts perspective on historical stuff.

How are all our CA peoples doing?? I know a couple had to evacuate. CA people, check in and let us know you're okay....... OKAY?
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995