NGD 1968 Guild M-20

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Thanks to AcornHouse....I'm a real happy guy today. I'm thrilled with this purchase and have already dropped the guitar at the Authorized Martin Guitar Service Center for a (1) neck reset (2) bridge re-glue due to very slight lifting (3) new bone saddle (4) new bone nut (5) the bridge plate is very slightly splintering and will be 'capped' with a very small hard maple veneer taken from an antique piano (6) and stabilization of a barely noticeable but apparent bottom crack across the strap pin. It is a long list I s'pose...but this M-20 is in otherwise excellent cosmetic condition. It has some surface marks from picks which did not scratch/mar the wood but which can be seen, it has slight shrinkage of head stock overlay, superb fret and braz fingerboard condition, and a real pretty slab of hog throughout. The luthier says that the bridge (and fretboard) are braz and bridge does not require replacement for the repairs. Luthier was shocked at the age/condition and seemed excited to work on it....though not half as eager as me! Thanks again AcornHouse....I so appreciate your early morning post of this one.

So there ya go....I'm saving the lives of old guitars one Guild at a time folks. PS...Seller said 1965....but Hans Moust reports 1968.

I took some photos for you all today....just because: https://www.flickr.com/photos/51142132@N06/shares/W6s505

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations Kitarkus!! I can't wait to see photos once the work is done! She ought to be like new!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, Kit! Glad it arrived safe and as sound as it was supposed to be.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oooo that’s my color and grain patterns love it !
Congrats ;)

jedzep

Reaction score
Sweeet! No windmills! You gotta' play 'small'. Enjoy yours. It's one of the guitars I miss owning.

There. I was gracious. Now I'm jealous and self-loathing.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations! Nice color! Enjoy!

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm pretty excited about this one. In fact...I'm a bit too eager to have this one back in my arms. They say patience is a virtue but I wouldn't know.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks all. I'm pretty excited about this one. In fact...I'm a bit too eager to have this one back in my arms. They say patience is a virtue but I wouldn't know.

I hear you. My wife wants me to keep the new ( used but new to me ) F30RCE locked away until xmas.. I am struggling. I did clean it, oil the fretboard, change strings and humidify before putting it back in the case.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I hear you. My wife wants me to keep the new ( used but new to me ) F30RCE locked away until xmas.. I am struggling. I did clean it, oil the fretboard, change strings and humidify before putting it back in the case.

Tell your wife you need to play the "new to you" off of it now so that you can spend Quality time with the Family on Christmas day instead of being locked up in a room with a guitar being "Unsocial". See if that works, LOL.

TX

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sweeet! No windmills! You gotta' play 'small'. Enjoy yours. It's one of the guitars I miss owning.

There. I was gracious. Now I'm jealous and self-loathing.

:) Easy to feel here when you see these guys pulling down some sweet guits! Also reading some of the signatures. So I am with you though ultimately I am jazzed for anyone on here getting a new Guild. It is a Christmas-like feeling for a lot of us on here I believe.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Tell your wife you need to play the "new to you" off of it now so that you can spend Quality time with the Family on Christmas day instead of being locked up in a room with a guitar being "Unsocial". See if that works, LOL.

TX

Nice angle TX. Though I think she might veto just the same it might be worth a try. That is why I love this place - good info on Guilds and great advice from people that have been there!!

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Nice angle TX. Though I think she might veto just the same it might be worth a try. That is why I love this place - good info on Guilds and great advice from people that have been there!!

At least you can open the case and take a peek. I lied to you all....I had said that I took pictures for 'you' prior to dropping off at the luthier. The truth is....I took those photos so that I can have something to fantasize about until I get the guitar back from repairs....and I've looked at those photos more than once in the last 24 hours :)

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
At least you can open the case and take a peek. I lied to you all....I had said that I took pictures for 'you' prior to dropping off at the luthier. The truth is....I took those photos so that I can have something to fantasize about until I get the guitar back from repairs....and I've looked at those photos more than once in the last 24 hours :)

That's a real beauty!!! Sweet snag.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
NGD all over again. The Martin Authorized Repair Center guys called me yesterday. My little M-20 is ready to be picked up. I'm actually a bit nervous with excitement. I am supposed to get the guitar at lunch time today. Finally I can quit looking at the photos and have the 'real thing'.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
NGD all over again. The Martin Authorized Repair Center guys called me yesterday. My little M-20 is ready to be picked up. I'm actually a bit nervous with excitement. I am supposed to get the guitar at lunch time today. Finally I can quit looking at the photos and have the 'real thing'.
Cool 😎