Thread: PIckup Question

PIckup Question

I'm within a week of heading down south for the winter. The last two years I have had a pickup installed in my Mark V maple and a my Alvarez Yairi classical guitars. I had them done at Randy Wood's in Savannah. http://www.randywoodmusic.com/

I'm very satisfied with the outcome. It kind of woke up the guitars and gave them a 21st century sound.

Now for the dilemma. I have a 50 year old Mark VI, which I love. I am on the fence to whether I should have one installed in it. I am very reluctant to have it done, with holes drilled, altering the guitar. I know they make pickups where the cable just hangs done from the sound hole. Not sure how I would like that.

Anyone have any words of wisdom.

thanks and Merry Christmas

Tom
    Guild Mark VI, Hoboken 1967 Brazilian Rosewood--The Crown Jewel
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1964 Maple
    Guild Mark V, Westerley 1986 East Indian Rosewood
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1966 Pearwood

Guild Mark V, Westerly 1982--Sold to Sandy
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1966--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1971--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1972--Sold

Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004

Tucson, but wish it was Idaho or even Poland
    Tom,

as you already have a pup in your Mark 5, my $.02 vote is to leave the 6 alone. :)
    btw, me and fam are heading up to Henniker NH for holidays to see folks.
    i hear it will be quite balmy this time of year in NH

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
    I have a 50 year old Mark VI, which I love. I am on the fence to whether I should have one installed in it. I am very reluctant to have it done, with holes drilled, altering the guitar. I know they make pickups where the cable just hangs done from the sound hole. Not sure how I would like that.

Anyone have any words of wisdom.
    Personally, on that one, I'd live with the cable. If it interfered with playing I'd go without or mic it if amplification was mandatory.
    I'd remove the p/u for storage, having no tolerance for even the slightest possibility that the plastic jacket might react with NCL over a long term.
    Although in past I've agreed with the philosophy of "It's your guitar, do as you want", I still felt there were examples that were rare enough that retaining originality is almost a responsibility to some unknown future owner and user.
    Let alone the value for your heirs if or when it may finally be sold.
    I myself am becoming a little more acutely aware that my guitars may outlive me and if my nephew (who's the only one in line for 'em) doesn't retain his interest in playing then my brother'll have a far easier time selling all-original instruments, I think.
    Last edited by adorshki; 12-22-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Although in past I've agreed with the philosophy of "It's your guitar, do as you want", I still felt there were examples that were rare enough that retaining originality is almost a responsibility to some unknown future owner and user.

+1.

It is your guitar, but as Adorshki says, that magnificent instrument will live on long after you (and me and everyone else on this forum) is moldering in the ground or sitting on the mantle. I think owners of rare instruments have an important (and sometimes unfair) responsibility to pass them on in as original condition as possible so future generations can experience their maker's genius.
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (folks)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street Music)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - with a nephew)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, ex-Qvart)
    '93 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, ex-Neal)
    '94 D-6 (CL)
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Jeffcoop,)
    GAD-30 NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Geoguy - with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger)
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75
    '13 Orpheum 14-Fret RW Dreadnought

Thanks guys!

Kind of feel the same way, I don't think I could have pulled the trigger and had holes drilled in it, as it is in pristine condition. The Mark V maple that I had a pickup installed, has been used plenty and has a Willie Nelson lite look to it and had a hole from an end pin. So that didn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    me and fam are heading up to Henniker NH for holidays to see folks.
    i hear it will be quite balmy this time of year in NH
    I guess if 25 to 30 degrees is balmy, yes we are in a shortlived heat wave. By the end of next week, it's going to be 15 below.

Tom
    Guild Mark VI, Hoboken 1967 Brazilian Rosewood--The Crown Jewel
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1964 Maple
    Guild Mark V, Westerley 1986 East Indian Rosewood
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1966 Pearwood

Guild Mark V, Westerly 1982--Sold to Sandy
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1966--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1971--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1972--Sold

Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004

Hi

How about having the cable come out of the sound hole - but on bass side - going over guitar "waist" - back to your strap pin and away. This will prevent any damage to guitar, if someone steps on cable. Also the cable will be less in the way on that side.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Funny how my feelings are just about identical to the other folks, Tom. It's your guitar, yes.......... But, it's also a rare beauty, probably never to be seen again. Yeah, if I were you I'd leave the Mark VI alone and (always) keep it as original as possible.
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655