My favorite new flat pick

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
This pick is all I use on my electric guitar any more, and often I use it on my acoustics as well. Awesome attack, no flex whatsoever, it perfectly compliments the Ernie Ball Power Slinkys, especially after being warmed between my thumb and finger for a few minutes. Hats off to "Peter's Plectrums" in the UK for crafting this pick from a solid silver 1964 U.S. half-dollar.

XoP4jpr.jpg

hwQCmqT.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hmmm. i wonder if this would break light gauge acoustic strings on my Guild. i use the 2.0 mm picks now, no issues at all. but metal? i might need to give it a go.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah, I use a ground down silver quarter sometimes; I like the feel, but it also creates a metallic ‘plink’ when I strike the strings. Sometimes it bugs me, sometimes not.
I think a half-dollar might be easier to handle, though. The quarter seems a little hard to hold on to.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes Dennis, I have a 1954 silver quarter pick as well, but it's a bit small. The half-dollar is the perfect size.

Wood, I doubt it would break your strings, the silver is actually pretty smooth. I also use it to produce a "scratchy" sound sometimes on the wound bass strings, can't really do this with a nylon pick very well.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool picks for me , many many years ago ok so like the 80’s I used those cool looking stone picks but picks that are hard or metal just dont feel or sound right to me . Cool picks man they just do it for me I mostly use the .6 but I choke on them and I get the stiffness I need .

But the money pick is cool looking :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I usually use a 1.3 mm Cool pick on my acoustics these days, I don't like much flex. I use 2.0 on my mandolin.

griehund

Reaction score
I have a couple of those but I had a real hard time getting used to the thickness. I prefer a thin but stiff pick. To each is own.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup each to his or her own for sure .

After thinking about it I play with a hard attack best way I can say it and I feel like I’d break strings with thick picks . On the electric I’d use maybe .8 or 1.0 . I need a more fluid feel to the strum and a hard pick to me feels like a metal bar getting caught in a chain link fence lol

I also can’t have much of the pick exposed as I play . I might have maybe 1/8 of the tip exposed give or take on the tone I want and style of play . I never did ask anyone else how they hold and use a pick it just never crossed my mind lol

For me especially on acoustics the sound of the juratex pick just does it for my ear .
The grip is pretty good too.

I have other style picks by Cool but there not as good as the Juratex .

A link if anyone might want to try them 😁
https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Picks-Juratex-Guitar-Pick/dp/B00OMAT924?th=1&psc=1

I also have a pick maker , punch a pick out anything it can cut . Man I hate it lol

Oh on AGF folks post about these picks that cost 35-40 bucks each thick as a brick pick lol they love the heck out of them but I can’t understand it , anyone have one I can borrow ? Lol

Last edited: