Thread: My favorite new flat pick

My favorite new flat pick

This pick is all I use on my electric guitar any more, and often I use it on my acoustics as well. Awesome attack, no flex whatsoever, it perfectly compliments the Ernie Ball Power Slinkys, especially after being warmed between my thumb and finger for a few minutes. Hats off to "Peter's Plectrums" in the UK for crafting this pick from a solid silver 1964 U.S. half-dollar.

"The air's as still as the throttle on a funeral train." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

hmmm. i wonder if this would break light gauge acoustic strings on my Guild. i use the 2.0 mm picks now, no issues at all. but metal? i might need to give it a go.
    Wood

1971 D25 Br--ol' Flattop
    https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

"i think that you are the only one i know of that considers the 1973-1974 mahogany top/arch back D-25 a "holy grail" guitar"--mav

"always confront the load facing it directly"--nuuska

Yeah, I use a ground down silver quarter sometimes; I like the feel, but it also creates a metallic ‘plink’ when I strike the strings. Sometimes it bugs me, sometimes not.
    I think a half-dollar might be easier to handle, though. The quarter seems a little hard to hold on to.
    Shihan= Dennis

Yes Dennis, I have a 1954 silver quarter pick as well, but it's a bit small. The half-dollar is the perfect size.

Wood, I doubt it would break your strings, the silver is actually pretty smooth. I also use it to produce a "scratchy" sound sometimes on the wound bass strings, can't really do this with a nylon pick very well.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG

Cool picks for me , many many years ago ok so like the 80ís I used those cool looking stone picks but picks that are hard or metal just dont feel or sound right to me . Cool picks man they just do it for me I mostly use the .6 but I choke on them and I get the stiffness I need .

But the money pick is cool looking :)

I usually use a 1.3 mm Cool pick on my acoustics these days, I don't like much flex. I use 2.0 on my mandolin.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG

I have a couple of those but I had a real hard time getting used to the thickness. I prefer a thin but stiff pick. To each is own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BYOJ1tc-k

If you can't laugh at yourself, someone else will do it for you.

1974 D40 "Big D"
    2010 Gretsch 6129 blue mother of toilet seat "Little Mother"
    2013 Newark St. Starfire III "Red"
    1980 Yamaha FG 331 "El Kabong"

Yup each to his or her own for sure .

After thinking about it I play with a hard attack best way I can say it and I feel like Iíd break strings with thick picks . On the electric Iíd use maybe .8 or 1.0 . I need a more fluid feel to the strum and a hard pick to me feels like a metal bar getting caught in a chain link fence lol

I also canít have much of the pick exposed as I play . I might have maybe 1/8 of the tip exposed give or take on the tone I want and style of play . I never did ask anyone else how they hold and use a pick it just never crossed my mind lol

For me especially on acoustics the sound of the juratex pick just does it for my ear .
    The grip is pretty good too.

I have other style picks by Cool but there not as good as the Juratex .

A link if anyone might want to try them 😁
    https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Picks-Ju...924?th=1&psc=1

I also have a pick maker , punch a pick out anything it can cut . Man I hate it lol

Oh on AGF folks post about these picks that cost 35-40 bucks each thick as a brick pick lol they love the heck out of them but I canít understand it , anyone have one I can borrow ? Lol
    Last edited by Rayk; 12-07-2017 at 10:14 PM.