Westerly-era finish question

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Westerly Rhode Island made was all Nitro as Far as I know but of course there could be some exceptions as we are talking about Guild, LOL!

TX

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks TX... had thought so too.
Reason I ask - had one of my trusted go-to techs tell me recently
he though the finish on my FS46 CE (believe it was built around 1983-84 - imo
one of the oddest Guilds ever) was poly - he was doing a little drop fill on it, and seemed to think the
finish wasn't behaving like NCL. Then I wondered if the finish on my S4BG
was NCL or poly.

eEHCq0V.jpg

h4OHVO9.jpg

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would drop Hans an email and ask him. That should give you the most definitive answer there is. Best of Luck!

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks TX... had thought so too.
Reason I ask - had one of my trusted go-to techs tell me recently
he though the finish on my FS46 CE (believe it was built around 1983-84 - imo
one of the oddest Guilds ever) was poly - he was doing a little drop fill on it, and seemed to think the
finish wasn't behaving like NCL. Then I wondered if the finish on my S4BG
was NCL or poly.

HI Bonneville:
That FS46 could be poly.
I remember my immense surprise when Hans corrected me about one of those a couple of years back, or at least one of those "Faux Soundhole" solidbody a/e's, when I answered a new member's exact same question, "What is it?" with "NCL".
It might have been one of the "DS" models, but in fact Westerly DID spray poly on at least a few guitars.
It occurs to me that might have varied by year as well.
With Hans sometimes his answer is about a specific guitar and may not be true of all examples of a model.
I used to think that with Westerly it was "ALL NCL ALL THE TIME" too, but I know better now and I suspect it was only those solid-body a/e's that ever saw the experiment, being so unique.
We've also got member Arizonaliberty claiming his D4 satin is a poly finish, and while I'm still very skeptical of that, I realized that the D4 was the clotheshorse for a lot of unusual finish colors so if there was ever a likely candidate for a full acoustic to get poly that would have been it.
I still think it's actually just the nitro gel "HR" (Hand Rubbed) flat finish.
Never heard of S4BG's being anything but NCL, also never heard of poly going on in anything but clear in either the "FS/DS" 's or D4's.

Last edited: