Been a while since been on the forum

kbob2

Reaction score
I have been away for quite sometime. I sold my guitars over couple yrs. ago due to health reasons and on the road of return. But when I sold I kept in contact with the new guild folks in California and was going to buy another D-55 when they were up and running. The vice president of Cordoba said right after they were moving New Hartford stuff to calif he hoped to be up and running about 1.5 yrs. from then. That was 2014.may! Well its dec 2017 and they are slowly getting shipments on most guitars but I am waiting for a D-55. Its still very slow. I have one on order from sweetwater and they hope to receive theirs in Jan. I am not very optimistic on that. But can't wait however concern is what kind of quality and workmanship will they have. I hope they are high quality and reliable. They said recently the D-55 they are trying to mimic the D-55 in the westerly models. I assume westerly was a decent build ! What say you guys or what do you know ???

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Two people who played in a benefit concert I was part of in early November each had Corona made D-55s, so they are getting there. I didn't have a chance to play either, but they looked very nice, came with great cases, too.
Brad

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
.....I have one on order from sweetwater and they hope to receive theirs in Jan. I am not very optimistic on that. But can't wait however concern is what kind of quality and workmanship will they have....

It's frustrating but probably a good sign that they're not pumping huge quantities of product out the door to the detriment of the quality of said product.... :nevreness:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Two people who played in a benefit concert I was part of in early November each had Corona made D-55s, so they are getting there. I didn't have a chance to play either, but they looked very nice, came with great cases, too.
Brad

Typo? Cordoba made D-55's, not Corona.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Typo? Cordoba made D-55's, not Corona.
Well, the FMIC factory in Corona/CA made D-55s...after Westerly closed.

But in the context of that message, yes, there is probably a typo and he was talking about the new 2017 Guild D-55 from the Oxnard/CA factory.

And here's the latest review of a new one as of this month:

Ralf

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey KBob2, If you are worried about the quality of Cordoba builds I would do plenty of research before laying down the cash on a new one. They have gotten of to a slow start and there have been some QC and construction issues with some of their guitars across all of their production lines including the American Built Acoustics and Overseas built Acoustics and Electrics. That being said the demo video Ralf posted does sound decent.

Personally I am Really Hoping they get things Ironed out as I want to see Guild succeed in their new home. Also they just recently in the past few months started spraying the Gloss Nitro finishes again and I know in the beginning there were a few guitars that slipped out with finish issues that have been documented here on the forum. They are taking Baby Steps which is a good thing but I personally feel it will take a bit for them to get on the quality craftsmanship and build level that was achieved previously at New Hartford. Time is the only thing that improves Craftsmanship. I have yet to purchase a Guild from Oxnard but it is not for the lack of trying them out. I just haven't had my hair blown back yet by one so to say. Not to imply that there aren't Oxnard made Guilds out there that will blow my hair back but I haven't found one yet, Still looking though.

If a D55 is your thing and you don't feel like waiting for a new one there is an Awesome Burst Finish New Hartford made D55 in like new condition for sale currently in the FS/FT section by member Msbedard. I know it sounds Awesome and is in almost New condition because it used to be mine, LOL! If I had the cash right now it would be again! Here is the link if you are interested.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?194835-2010-D55-sunburst-for-sale

Best of luck!

TX

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, the FMIC factory in Corona/CA made D-55s...after Westerly closed.

But in the context of that message, yes, there is probably a typo and he was talking about the new 2017 Guild D-55 from the Oxnard/CA factory.

And here's the latest review of a new one as of this month:

Ralf

Sounds boomy not the balanced guild sound I’d expect . Boomy guitars are hard to record cutting Eq doesn’t help the thoom sound :(

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the demo video, Ralf!! That was fun. If I didn't have rosewood dread already pretty well covered, I'd be wanting one of those!! Hope things are good with you kbob!! :encouragement:

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have been away for quite sometime. I sold my guitars over couple yrs. ago due to health reasons and on the road of return. But when I sold I kept in contact with the new guild folks in California and was going to buy another D-55 when they were up and running. The vice president of Cordoba said right after they were moving New Hartford stuff to calif he hoped to be up and running about 1.5 yrs. from then. That was 2014.may! Well its dec 2017 and they are slowly getting shipments on most guitars but I am waiting for a D-55. Its still very slow. I have one on order from sweetwater and they hope to receive theirs in Jan. I am not very optimistic on that. But can't wait however concern is what kind of quality and workmanship will they have. I hope they are high quality and reliable. They said recently the D-55 they are trying to mimic the D-55 in the westerly models. I assume westerly was a decent build ! What say you guys or what do you know ???

Welcome back , general up in the air question which is why back track build design and tone to the westerly builds instead of staying with more Modern sound of the New Hartford’s ?

We have our preferred tastes but I find it a strange move to do . I also admit I have not heard other then vids the NH D55’s they sound better the one I just heard.

I might get a chance to hear a D55 westerly up close in a few weeks .

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I recall you had a problem with one that you acquired when you were last on the board...I have a November/2013 D-55 that is fantastic...not a bluebrass banjo killer, but beautiful acoustic guitar, very balanced (which bluegrass guitars ain't). If you could find one of these, I would jump on it as fast as you are able :love-struck:

PS Just listened to the video, agree with you on the beginning, kept waiting for the girl-singer to cut in...might have helped if he centered the mic on the 12th fret instead of the 14th...maybe? or am I picking nits...slide on a D-55...really?

Last edited:

kbob2

Reaction score
I so P*ss'd.... I have on order a D55 thru sweetwater and and a D 40 traditional along with a martin HD28 That has little to do with this post but! Guild has been saying from 2014 about how they hope to be in production late 2015 to mid 2016. Its is now end of 2017 and still can't say when the D-55 might become available for shipping. Sweetwater has 6 or more on order and and they say even the sunburst might be here sooner. I told sweetwater I would take a sunburst if it came first. Guild called me an d still has no clue. They said Well it depends on when you placed your order on our list! I told the dumb guy I have ordered from sweetwaters incoming stock order. They are not all sold and I get one when you ship to them If they can't give some positive answers soon then I will cancel the two guilds! This crap is not good. Not after 4+ yrs. of wait.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it is what it is, Bob. I'm sure we're all concerned about the progress in Oxnard, but I think we can all agree that it'd be a disaster if they started shipping flagship Guild models that weren't ready. In any case, I hope your order comes in soon.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
well the scalloped bracing will cause the boominess.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Oxnard is close to a VERY BIG wildfire...it's been raining ash in Los Angeles for a week...imagine what it's like for them far closer to the action...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I so P*ss'd.... I have on order a D55 thru sweetwater and and a D 40 traditional along with a martin HD28 That has little to do with this post but! Guild has been saying from 2014 about how they hope to be in production late 2015 to mid 2016. Its is now end of 2017 and still can't say when the D-55 might become available for shipping. Sweetwater has 6 or more on order and and they say even the sunburst might be here sooner. I told sweetwater I would take a sunburst if it came first. Guild called me an d still has no clue. They said Well it depends on when you placed your order on our list! I told the dumb guy I have ordered from sweetwaters incoming stock order. They are not all sold and I get one when you ship to them If they can't give some positive answers soon then I will cancel the two guilds! This crap is not good. Not after 4+ yrs. of wait.

plenty of good older D55s on ebay and rebverb, and i bet for better prices. i would bag the orders and start a different type of search. the Guild used market is cranking.