Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NAD! '69-'70 Superstar Combo.....

I agree with you Walter. SRO speaks are something else.

matsickma, I don't need a logo. I was seeing if you needed a logo. Good to know you have a stock of them, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '70 Superstar Combo

Well I checked my stock and I have Qty=3. Suprised me I had that many!

EV made some killer speakers over the years. They had a 12 inch with a 4" voice coil that could handle a lot of power. If I recall correctly Mesa Boogie combo's would have a single EV 12 and handle 100 W rms. Twenty years ago that was quite a feat. Maybe it still is respectable.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by matsickma View Post
    EV made some killer speakers over the years. They had a 12 inch with a 4" voice coil that could handle a lot of power. If I recall correctly Mesa Boogie combo's would have a single EV 12 and handle 100 W rms. Twenty years ago that was quite a feat. Maybe it still is respectable.
    M
    that is the exact OG Mikey Houser (RIP) rig, together with the Soldano SLO 100, Soldano Surf Box, Boss DD Pedal, Ernie Ball volume pedal and 1990 Fender Telecaster *Deluxe Plus...and yes, it's still respectable, considering it is still the best tone I have ever heard, by far.

Mikey said he had played every brand amp, and the Soldano was the only keeper. But I truly believe Mikey would have liked Guild amps, if he ever got the chance to play one. I found my own tone, searching for his!
    Last edited by mavuser; 12-09-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Never heard a Soldano but based in the number if preamp tubes I assumed it was a very saturated tone. In my experience that tone would be the opposite of that if a Guild amp with the exception of a punched Maverick or punched Thunder 1. A punched Maverick reminds me of a Marshall or maybe a HiWatt at a 30 Watt instead of 100 Watts.

I have had 5 or 6 Maverick's of both the chrome /red and pink/red control panel. Most sounded great with the 7592A output tubes.
    M

Please excuse the misspelling. Damn keyboard on the phone often mistakes "i" for "o" and "a" for "s" and vice versa!
    M

Quote Originally Posted by matsickma View Post
    Please excuse the misspelling. Damn keyboard on the phone often mistakes "i" for "o" and "a" for "s" and vice versa!
    M
    and a "1" for a "2" ? (7591A tubes!)

i didnt mean to say that my tone or Guild amp tone is like Mikeys or Soldano SLO 100s. i just meant Mikey would like them because they run hot and are super clean. also, the Maverick tremolo sounds just like his Surf Box (think vibro champ on the trem, not vibrolux)

as far as my own initial electric guitar tone that I found, the point at which I stopped experimenting for a long, long, time...which was inspired by Mikeys playing (but does not sound like him), together with a couple other players...this consists of the Gibson P-90 Les Paul Jr and Melody Maker, Maverick 2X10 amp, Boss OS-2 and Boss DD-6 pedals...scorching!

after a while some other keepers in the mix include jetstars, teles, some fender amps and the thunderstar. I do not currently own a Thunderstar however- I traded it to Default only because I know I can find another fairly easily, when the time is better as far as owning large amps goes.

I think Mikey would be like me and really like the late 60s Guild amps. There is just something about them. especially at that (current market) price and especially the Thunderstar. and I have not played the Superstar yet, it could easilly be the best one of all!

I got you...
    Yes I see what you mean.

The sound of the Guild amps ('69 & '70) released with the Thunderstar (2-7591A tubes & 1-12 spkr), Superstar (2-6L6 tubes & 1-15 spkr) and the 3rd version of the Thunderbird (2- 6L6 & 2-12 spkrs) differ from the 2nd version Thunderbird (2-7591 & 2-12 spks) and Superbird (2-8417 & 2-12 or 2-15 spks) models ('68 ) primarily by the changes in the preamp circuit. The later model have higher gain but don't have control over the power amp input "master gain" input like the '68 models. Lot of amplifier changes going on at Guild at that time. Amazing how quickly they were turning out completely new amp architectures that looked alike but had significantly different tone!
    M

Mark Dronge told me that he thought Guild was on the cusp of becoming an "amp company" when his father was killed. Leon Tell killed the amp line and the synthesizer project that became Mutron.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

I've never played a Maverick, but I would if I got the chance!

I own an '66 Thunderbird, a '68 Thunder I RVT and a Superstar with an EV sro 15". I used to own a ThunderStar 1x12", but it was a little too loud to play in rehearsal (according to the rest of the band) so I gave it to a friend. That said, he doesn't play it much, so I called him up and it's coming back home sometime this week! I don't know where the heck I'm going to put them, but then I guess I can go vertically.

I love all of 'em, even though they all have their advantages and disadvantages and are in various stages of repair.

I may even figure out how to take some pics for you guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '70 Superstar Combo