NAD! '69-'70 Superstar Combo.....

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey adorshki, thats it!
Well my memory was tainted! Buddy Miles, Bass cabs and Fillmore! Wow How coukd I have screwed up that significant moment of time back on New Years 1969!

I thought I had a good memory! Never trust yourself over time.

Thanks,
M

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey adorshki, thats it!
I thought I had a good memory! Never trust yourself over time.

I kn-o-o-o-w the feeling!
Up until about 5 years ago or so I had near-photographic memory.
It all started goin' downhill when I started hangin' 'round here.
:glee:
B-u-u-t....I'd never seen that pic myself and probably never would have if you hadn't sparked the motivation to do a search.
It reminded me that I believe we've seen another Hendrix/Guild connection in that he had an amp serviced by an outfit in his home state of Washington ?
Might well have led to Billy Cox using the cabinets, or maybe even Cox introduced Hendrix to 'em?
Might do some more digging.
We'll keep you posted if I find anything today.

gilded

Reaction score
I was showing my wife this pic just now, Al, and I remembered that I was at the Fillmore East, not on New Year's Eve, but on June 26, 1971, the last night it was open to the general public.

A friend had tickets and we heard Albert King for about 30 minutes (Albert was completely disinterested), J. Geils for 3-4 hours (I was completely disinterested. Friggin' Peter Wolf!) and finally, the Allman Brothers (for only 20 minutes). Why just 20 minutes? The friend I was with was 'crashing' from whatever illicit substance some lit--up hippie handed him to ingest as we walked in.

'Free Acid' is what the Dealer said. My friend grabbed a bunch of tablets, took them all and laughed like a hyena for the rest of the night. I myself declined the offer of free hallucinogens, but nevertheless felt compelled to get my friend home to his folk's house on the East Side of Manhattan, a long way from 2nd Ave and 6th Street where the Allmans held back the Dawn.

I still miss the Allman Brothers. They were just warming up, it was great. Friggin' Hippies!

JimiNYE69.jpg

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
Interesting the reference cites that the cabs came with either JBL J140 or K130 and noted that most players would have selected the K140.
Since a bass has such a huge frequency response, especially with new strings, I personally would have a combination if K140 abd K130 cabs. You can then get deep bass or the Chris Squire/ John Entwistle sharp bass tone. I would probably put one each in each cab with the K140 on the bottom!
M

matsickma

Reaction score
Somewhere out in the eirher is a picture if Hendrix playing a SF5. Come to think of it there is also one of Leslie West with a SF5 and even Joe Walsh. Sorry for the vere!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Somewhere out in the eirher is a picture if Hendrix playing a SF5. Come to think of it there is also one of Leslie West with a SF5 and even Joe Walsh. Sorry for the vere!

Right, I remember the SFV shot, and I think 3 of Leslie West have been put up here before..
The first time I heard of that connection was on the Crosstown Torrents site and pic was attributed to a jam at the Wreck Bar of the Castaways Hotel right after the '68 Miami Poop Festival got rained out.
That one's not very clear and so not 100% confirmed:
c913ed7d5e5608c082a7ad116f281659.jpg

but later on I believe Ralf posted a nice clear B&W which I think was from a European TV appearance (my foggy memory, now, LOL!).
That one's been up, here, a couple of times at least.

In fact, that Band of Gypsys pic was up before, too, in this thread, but this one mentions the possible Hendrix amp:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...d-thunderbass-J-H-EXP&highlight=HEndrix+guild
ahhh...here's the confirmation:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...s-Quantum-and-J-H-EXP&highlight=HEndrix+guild
:tranquillity:

I was only 13 in '69, and yet I still can't remember what I did on New Year's Eve. :glee:
At least by then I'd discovered Quicksilver Messenger Service, Cheap Thrills, and After Bathing at Baxter's.
oh yes, re the Allmans:
Got turned on to Eat A Peach as a high-school sophomore.
Got turned off by "Ramblin' Man" 3 years later.
Have to give Dickie Betts grudging respect for other stuff he's done since, but I think the true preservers of the tradition are the Tedeschi-Trucks band.
As long as we're veering so wildly, when I was 15 in freshman year, I missed out on an opportunity to see Black Sabbath touring for Paranoid.
The opening act was some unknown band named Yes.
My folks were still keeping a pretty tight leash on allowing me to go all the way to San Francisco to see a concert in a drug-filled den of iniquity even if the driver was a senior.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
but later on I believe Ralf posted a nice clear B&W which I think was from a European TV appearance (my foggy memory, now, LOL!).
That one's been up, here, a couple of times at least.
OK it was Jahn, and an SF6, here:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...a-Starfire-VI&highlight=hendrix+starfire+club

but the photo link's dead now.
I'll try a bit longer before giving up.
AHA!!
see post #65 in this thread:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?191913-Bracing&highlight=hendrix+starfire+club

b3bbac2ac4e3aa602bb22708b2dacf50.jpg

t_1968_05_20_2_126.jpg

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I was showing my wife this pic just now, Al, and I remembered that I was at the Fillmore East, not on New Year's Eve, but on June 26, 1971, the last night it was open to the general public.

I still miss the Allman Brothers. They were just warming up, it was great. Friggin' Hippies!

Harry... don't know if you are aware of it, but the live show at the Fillmore the next night, June 27, 1971, was released as a bonus disc on the "Eat a Peach (Deluxe Edition)" remaster/reissue (2006). It is the same material as "At Filmore East", but the band is playing a lot more loosely. And it is fun to hear Duane Allman talking with the audience between songs.

I'm often skeptical about remaster/reissues as just another grab for my money, but the "Eat a Peach (Deluxe Edition)" is definitely worth it. The sound is better than the original LP, with the bass, drums and organ more prominent in the mix. "Les Brers" and "Mountain Jam" are absolutely stunning!

gilded

Reaction score
I knew that it was open one final time, the next night, for the Illuminati and other Invited Special Guests.

I knew that they recorded it, but I did not know that it was reissued. Thanks, Bill, good to know.