Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NAD! '69-'70 Superstar Combo.....

I agree with you Walter. SRO speaks are something else.

matsickma, I don't need a logo. I was seeing if you needed a logo. Good to know you have a stock of them, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '70 Superstar Combo

Well I checked my stock and I have Qty=3. Suprised me I had that many!

EV made some killer speakers over the years. They had a 12 inch with a 4" voice coil that could handle a lot of power. If I recall correctly Mesa Boogie combo's would have a single EV 12 and handle 100 W rms. Twenty years ago that was quite a feat. Maybe it still is respectable.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by matsickma View Post
    EV made some killer speakers over the years. They had a 12 inch with a 4" voice coil that could handle a lot of power. If I recall correctly Mesa Boogie combo's would have a single EV 12 and handle 100 W rms. Twenty years ago that was quite a feat. Maybe it still is respectable.
    M
    that is the exact OG Mikey Houser (RIP) rig, together with the Soldano SLO 100, Soldano Surf Box, Boss DD Pedal, Ernie Ball volume pedal and 1990 Fender Telecaster *Deluxe Plus...and yes, it's still respectable, considering it is still the best tone I have ever heard, by far.

Mikey said he had played every brand amp, and the Soldano was the only keeper. But I truly believe Mikey would have liked Guild amps, if he ever got the chance to play one. I found my own tone, searching for his!
    Last edited by mavuser; 12-09-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Never heard a Soldano but based in the number if preamp tubes I assumed it was a very saturated tone. In my experience that tone would be the opposite of that if a Guild amp with the exception of a punched Maverick or punched Thunder 1. A punched Maverick reminds me of a Marshall or maybe a HiWatt at a 30 Watt instead of 100 Watts.

I have had 5 or 6 Maverick's of both the chrome /red and pink/red control panel. Most sounded great with the 7592A output tubes.
    M

Please excuse the misspelling. Damn keyboard on the phone often mistakes "i" for "o" and "a" for "s" and vice versa!
    M