Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAD! '69-'70 Superstar Combo.....

NAD! '69-'70 Superstar Combo.....

Actually, it's a Superstar Combo! Would some Moderator change the Title line for me???

One very heavy amp, when I opened up the back panel, it had an early '70s Electro Voice SRO 15 speaker inside it! 26lbs! They call the speaker the 'coffee can' model.

Nice RCA black-plate 6L6GC power tubes, a Telefunken dual triode tube for the phase inverter, and 4 Japanese Realistic 12ax7 preamp tubes. Oh, and a 6gw8 for the reverb unit. A lot like the '69 Thunderstar Combo I used to own.

Found a schematic. Having a friend go through the amp. No foot switch, but a Fender switch will work.

What kind of voltage should I be seeing on the plates? Where should I bias the 6L6s?

Harry/gilded
    Last edited by gilded; 12-05-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '70 Superstar Combo

You lucked out with the EV speakers. The basic stock ones are pretty poor sounding.
    M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    Actually, it's a Superstar Combo! Would some Moderator change the Title line for me???
    Done
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by matsickma View Post
    You lucked out with the EV speakers. The basic stock ones are pretty poor sounding.
    M
    I hope so. It's pretty stupendous, though I did hear a small amount of noise when I played the A note on the low E string that I need to rule out as a speaker issue. I'm gonna take it to a speaker shop and have it checked out. I have a couple of other 15" speaks, but I don't think I can conceive of this amp with any other speaker right now.

A friend played a really strong-sounding Ibanez string-thru hum-bucker guitar with it and the combination of that speaker and that guitar was remarkable.

Sorry I don't have any pics. Thank you, Photobucket.

'66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,

Congrats, Harry! Looking forward to pics. Those are the best-looking Guild amps, I think, with the two-color grill cloth and lots of shiny chrome :C)
    1959 T-100 DP
    1968 CE-100 DP
    1976 BluesBird M-75

Thanks, JP. Glad you liked it. It's pretty clean for a player, but it's so heavy with the 25lb speaker that someone added folding handles on each side, so there are a lot of extra holes for a 'true collector'. Sounds great, though.

I don't know what to tell you about pics. I'm walking away from Photobucket and I can't get a imgur account going for some reason.
    I guess I'll have to email pics to somebody and see if they want to post them.

I should have it back in a couple of weeks.

Hey Gilded...by any chance does your amp have the script Guild chrome emblem, like used on early Thunder amps, on the upper right side, when looking at the amp from the front?
    The reason I am asking is because their is s old Guild advertisment with the a picture of the amp with a Starfire that has one of those script logos on the fron of the amp but I have never actually seen one on an amp for sale.

I have considered adding on to the front of an amp.

M

matsickma, no, it does not have the logo.

I'm trying to remember if my '69 Thunderstar 1x12 combo had the logo. I don't know that it did. I will check with the guy I gave it to and see if it has one. Give me a few days......

Do you have a logo for the 'addition'?

A 15" SRO is a great speaker for big, fat, clean guitar tones.

-1960 CE100D
    -1961 Starfire III Special
    -1962 X175
    -1963X175
    -2011 F47R
    -2015 Newark Street X175 BLK

Hey G, those Guild logo's are as hard to come by as "hens teeth"! Not prepared to relinquish my stock but I will keep you in mind if I have a change of heart.

I do remember those "coffee can" SRO. Great speakers. At the time I would normally prefer JBL D or K 130's but eventually I found the Altec Lansing 15's to be the sound I preferred.
    M