Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any love for a 2011 Guild F30RCE from NH,CT

Any love for a 2011 Guild F30RCE from NH,CT

I am meeting a guy today to look at one and I have never played one or heard good or bad regarding them. I know there is much love for the early 200's Tacoma built F-30's. She is a cutaway which I am not thrilled about but the asking price is $750. Seems pretty fair to me. Obviously a closer look at the guit will deem that.

This is going to be my sole acoustic until I can afford to buy another one so I am going to be hyper critical mainly of tone. I already told the guy if I don't fall in love I wont be buying. I sold the D-30 begrudgingly to pay on some debt and I want a guild to take its place - one that speaks to me.

Any insight to this model at this factory would be helpful going in.
    Guits:
    '12 Guild F30RCE New Hartford
    '15 Eastman E-6D Natural Dread w/ LB6 Installed
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '16 Tele Partscaster w/ MIM Fender RW Neck & USA Seymour Duncan Bridge P/U
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )

Amps / Pedals:
    Crate Palomino V32 US Made Class A tube amp
    Fender Champion 100 SS Combo

I don’t know the cutaway version, but I did have a NH F-30 Traditional that was a great instrument (just too wide a nut and too long scale for me.) Pretty much all of New Hartford’s output have been very good instruments, and that’s a great price, if it checks out and there are no big issues.
    Chris
    ---
    '56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80,
    '82 S-275, '86 T-250, '88 Detonator, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, '16 NS S-200 Thunderbird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 Thunderbass, '69 Thunderstar, '92 G-500
    Acorn House
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

'94 G&L Legacy
    '03 Elder Lute
    ---
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AcornHouse View Post
    I don’t know the cutaway version, but I did have a NH F-30 Traditional that was a great instrument (just too wide a nut and too long scale for me.) Pretty much all of New Hartford’s output have been very good instruments, and that’s a great price, if it checks out and there are no big issues.
    Good to know. Thanks a million, Chris. Yeah I thought the price looked good. He had it at $800 and I talked him down to $750. Closer to my budget of $700. I will post the results.
    Guits:
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )

Amps / Pedals:

No experience with the cutaway either. I'll just say...I couldn't be more impressed with the New Hartford Guild that I own....particularly given the build, materials, and the price that I paid for it. Just stick to your "If I don't fall in love I won't buy it" modus operendi......it has been my experience that cutaways may prove to be somewhat less marketable should you sooner than later decide to move on to yet a different guitar.
    D-40 Std New Hartford 2012
    F-30NT Westerly 1974
    M-20 Hoboken 1968
    Yamaha FG-110
    D-50NT Westerly 1978 (unfortunately sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitarkus View Post
    No experience with the cutaway either. I'll just say...I couldn't be more impressed with the New Hartford Guild that I own....particularly given the build, materials, and the price that I paid for it. Just stick to your "If I don't fall in love I won't buy it" modus operendi......it has been my experience that cutaways may prove to be somewhat less marketable should you sooner than later decide to move on to yet a different guitar.
    Thanks Kitarkus and noted. Yeah NH Guilds get a lot of love here. If it is a tone machine and in good working order she will be coming home.
    Guits:

Amps / Pedals:

Quote Originally Posted by Kitarkus View Post
    Cutaways, like dual pickguards, get a bad rap, I think.
    There seems to be a perception that somehow they've gotta have a negative impact on tone.
    Since over 95% of the sound comes from the lower bout of the top, the part below the bridge, I think any loss will be imperceptible to all but the most sensitive and trained ears.
    But, I recognize the general impossibility of dispelling myths like that. Especially on the seller's part.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    There seems to be a perception that somehow they've gotta have a negative impact on tone.
    Since over 95% of the sound comes from the lower bout of the top, the part below the bridge, I think any loss will be imperceptible to all but the most sensitive and trained ears.
    But, I recognize the general impossibility of dispelling myths like that. Especially on the seller's part.
    When it comes to purchases and/or investing in guitars.....perception is reality. Most people can't tell the difference between an LG0 and a 000.....but they sure can see the headstocks. Humans are vain.
    D-40 Std New Hartford 2012
    F-30NT Westerly 1974
    M-20 Hoboken 1968
    Yamaha FG-110
    D-50NT Westerly 1978 (unfortunately sold)

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Essentially, the thick transverse bar, which is right above the soundhole, under the end of the fingerboard, stops the large part of the vibrations, so anything above it, like the cutaway territory, is dead, sound wise.
    Chris
    ---
    '56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80,
    '82 S-275, '86 T-250, '88 Detonator, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, '16 NS S-200 Thunderbird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 Thunderbass, '69 Thunderstar, '92 G-500
    Acorn House
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

'94 G&L Legacy
    '03 Elder Lute
    ---
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/

I love a nice Venetian (rounded) cutaway. Especially in low open tunings when I'm up to 14th fret or higher. Makes playing those types of songs much easier. Also, I love the asymmetry of them! Funny, that I'm such a fan and I only own one! And it's a Florentine (sharp) cutaway!! Oh well.... go play this guitar and prepare to be blown away! A New Hartford F30RCE is a real dream guitar. Go with an open mind. I think at that price you'll be very pleasantly surprised!!
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

If it were me i would want one with a gloss back and not satin, but that is a solid price...so would not be a deal breaker in this instance. not sure if the rosewood one came with a satin back at any point. I played one at Sam Ash a while ago, I don't remember if it was rosewood or not. but it was nice! good luck!