Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hartford F30R Standard question

New Hartford F30R Standard question

Can anyone confirm if New Hartford ever used an ebony bridge or fretboard and any of the F30R Standard guitars? I guess that would include the F30R Standard Custom Shop models too. I have a F30R Standard that appears to have a black stain over the rosewood bridge and fretboard. It looks a bit odd compared to my other ebony equipped Guild guitars. Can't figure out what it really is. Regardless, it's a really nice guitar.

Thanks,

Tommy
    Westerly
    1972 F-30 (purchased new in 1973; my FIRST Guild guitar!), (sold in 1979), (re-purchased this same guitar in 2013)
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

Other might know differently....but every NH F30...of any varietal....that I've seen....had rosewood fingerboards and bridges. I'd never observed any that appeared to be stained darker to mimic ebony. That said....nothing would ever surprise me with Guild doing different 'builds'. You have good taste in guitars! Good luck!
    D-40 Std New Hartford 2012
    F-30NT Westerly 1974
    M-20 Hoboken 1968
    Yamaha FG-110
    D-50NT Westerly 1978 (unfortunately sold)

TommyM... you don't like those F-30s much, do ya?

My F-30R is the probably the best guitar - and the best Guild overall - I've ever owned.
    If the guitar Nazis broke down my door tonight, held me at capo-point and told me
    I could keep only one, they were gonna burn the rest on my front lawn... I'd pick the F-30R.
    Ridiculously loud, rich, full sound... how such a relatively small guitar can make
    such a sweet boom is beyond me. Held its own with a banjo and mando better than
    my NH D55 last jam session.

Only issue I struggle with is that the body seems really small after pounding on Guild
    jumbos and dreads of every stripe - feels like a uke! - so I tend to hunch over playing
    it... hurts my back after awhile. Working on that, LOL. It's a sublime instrument. The
    bridge sure looks like rosewood.

Oh yeah.. photo or it never happened:

Last edited by Bonneville88; 12-05-2017 at 03:43 AM.

Same here....

As much as I love my blonde Guild F44, if I was forced to choose only one Guild, it would be my Guild F30R Standard. It is the easiest to play Guild I have ever owned due to its wider nut and slightly wider string spacing at the bridge than most of the traditional Guilds. But as you mentioned, I have to mind my posture, especially after playing my jumbo Taylor 555 12 string.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1972 F-30 (purchased new in 1973; my FIRST Guild guitar!), (sold in 1979), (re-purchased this same guitar in 2013)
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

Quote Originally Posted by tommym View Post
    Can anyone confirm if New Hartford ever used an ebony bridge or fretboard and any of the F30R Standard guitars? I guess that would include the F30R Standard Custom Shop models too.
    Tommy NH didn't have a "Custom Shop" in the sense of the Nashville Custom shop which was its own production facility. They DID produce limited editions ("GSR" 's) on the regular production line and I'm guessing that's what you're asking about.
    Sure enough, the GSR F30 did have ebony fretboard and bridge and 1-3/4 nut, with a maple body:
    https://reverb.com/item/984058-guild...ase-3856550801
    I have a F30R Standard that appears to have a black stain over the rosewood bridge and fretboard. It looks a bit odd compared to my other ebony equipped Guild guitars. Can't figure out what it really is. Regardless, it's a really nice guitar.
    Tommy
    I'd be surprised if New Hartford stained that, I've never heard of it from NH before.
    Although we've heard generic reports of makers staining ebony to achieve more uniform color, I think NH opted let the natural grain variations show.
    Did you buy it used? I'm wondering if a previous owner might have stained it for their own reasons.
    I'd be surprised if NH let an ebony board AND bridge get onto a model that wasn't spec'd for it, because from all reports they ran a very tight ship, but I guess anything's possible.
    Especially towards the end, they may have opted to use what was available just to be able to finish instruments.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    ....Did you buy it used?.....
    No, I brought both the F30 Standard and F30R Standard new from Guild dealers.

In any case, my friend just stop by and had a close look at the F30R, and he's pretty sure it's just a really dark piece of unstained IRW.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

No, I brought both the F30 Standard and F30R Standard new from Guild dealers.

In any case, my friend just stop by and had a close look at the F30R, and he's pretty sure it's just a really dark piece of unstained IRW.

Tommy
    Cool.
    If it really bothers you, you could probably lighten it up with a rag soaked in diluted bleach.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

This is precisely the guitar I am looking for.

Standard Series F-30R with a 1 3/4" nut and (preferably) DTAR.

Anybody out there who can help a brother out?
    Neal

'53 "X-150" Redburst
    '54 X-200-S SB
    '71 F-20 NT ("Tonya")
    '71 D-25 BR
    '73 D-35 NT
    '81 D-212 SB

Others: '34 Martin 0-18K, '34 Martin 0-17, '74 Dobro Round-Neck Resonator (wood), '87 Dobro Square-Neck Resonator (wood), '04 Huss & Dalton TD-R, '07 Rockbridge Adi/Mahogany dreadnought, '14 Huss & Dalton DS Crossroads, Tele Partscaster.

Can anyone confirm if New Hartford ever used an ebony bridge or fretboard and any of the F30R Standard guitars? I guess that would include the F30R Standard Custom Shop models too. I have a F30R Standard that appears to have a black stain over the rosewood bridge and fretboard. It looks a bit odd compared to my other ebony equipped Guild guitars. Can't figure out what it really is. Regardless, it's a really nice guitar.

Thanks,

Tommy
    Share some pics Id like to see it . Close ups if possible . 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    This is precisely the guitar I am looking for.

Standard Series F-30R with a 1 3/4" nut and (preferably) DTAR.

Anybody out there who can help a brother out?
    Neal...when you stumble upon that same guitar without the DTAR and with a 1 11/16" nut let me know please :) I this were a race to find a guitar....you would surely win this one.
    D-40 Std New Hartford 2012
    F-30NT Westerly 1974
    M-20 Hoboken 1968
    Yamaha FG-110
    D-50NT Westerly 1978 (unfortunately sold)