I bought a thing too ! OK, forget it. I bought some PC sound stuff.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been looking to upgrade my PC sound card and speakers. The speakers are about 20 years old. Cambridge Soundworks PC Works, I think they are called. A sub and two cubes. The sound card is just an onboard thing on my motherboard. The more I listen to music and play along, and get interested in mixing in the future, the more I wanted something better. I'm also a sucker for good reviews on products.

I used the web site CamelCamelCamel to watch the price of some speakers and a sound card on Amazon. I got an alert for the Creative Sound Blaster ZXR sound card system ( a main card and a daughter card ) that had been around $224 for a long time. It popped up at $169, so I nabbed one. I was waiting on a killer price on some JBL LSR 305 or 308 studio monitors. They LSR305s are discounted now, and after realizing just how stupid big the 308s would look on my PC desk, I ordered the 305s tonight. $99 a piece rather than the msrp of $149. Is it over kill for CD, YouTube and anything I might record. Probably. I may not even get huge bass out of those 5" woofers, but , I know I can't blame anything I hear from my PC on the gear, now.

Christmas is early for me.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! A buddy made fun of my speakers a few years back because I had the same PC speakers for something like 15 years, so I went out and bought a set of nice monitors and never looked back. Totally worth it.

Enjoy your new sound!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

I have my screen on a writing desk, that is about 6 feet wide. On both sides I have ReVox Elegance column speakers. Sounds wonderful and when watching movies or editing recordings, the sound image is right where it should. I´ve been seriously considering getting a pair of Neumann KH300 monitors to get even better sound.

Guaranteed - just like I never regretted having bought Guild F50R @1975 - I would never regret investing in good sound at home speakers - be it in living room or computer.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Merry "early" Christmas JohnW63. When it comes to sound it is an individual thing and our ears convince our brain we need a change. My brain has been telling me to buy a F40blnd. ha

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice! I need to join you guys and do something similar...

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
IProbably. I may not even get huge bass out of those 5" woofers, but , I know I can't blame anything I hear from my PC on the gear, now.

*snicker*

My primary bass amp is a (now out of production) Phil Jones Bass Cub which features 2 x 5" speakers. They do lack something when compared to a 1 x 15 but that something has more to do with room shaking and pants flapping than the actual quality of the sound at reasonable volumes.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rayk,

A bit larger woofer, than the JBL LSR305. How do they sound ? They cost about the same as the LSR 308s, so I hope they sound good !

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Rayk,

A bit larger woofer, than the JBL LSR305. How do they sound ? They cost about the same as the LSR 308s, so I hope they sound good !

I have to check when I get home on the model mine are 250 Watts 8 “ Kevlar woofer 2 “ rishon tweeter .
So they might be the B3031A’s

To me they kick *** , one of ambient songs the low end synth blows my hair . These things move some air .

It has configurations on eq settings to adjust for room size and frequency . I run mine completely flat .

I’d recommend them even thought or buying more for my home theater lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have to check when I get home on the model mine are 250 Watts 8 “ Kevlar woofer 2 “ rishon tweeter .
So they might be the B3031A’s

To me they kick *** , one of ambient songs the low end synth blows my hair . These things move some air .

It has configurations on eq settings to adjust for room size and frequency . I run mine completely flat .

I’d recommend them even thought or buying more for my home theater lol

Ok their the B3031A ‘s