NGD...on the G312th day of Christmas...

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the last couple weeks have been among the most busy and insane of my entire life. among the flurry of all the activity, this beautiful 1980 Guild 312 *and a USA made Ovation (from around the same time period)
wound up in my possesion earlier today. no insane figuring but the back is tight and dark India rosewood.
rough pics is all I have for now, but this thing is nice! ill have to get back to it soon for a re-string and proper test drive.

we6rXD.jpg

Unrg6d.jpg

pKmbOx.jpg

QCpFew.jpg

SN8qlh.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Mav! She is a looker for sure, Can't wait to hear the review when you get a chance to spend some time with her.

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dude!!! That looks FACTORY FRESH!! At least from the photos!! Wow, congrats..... will life calm down enough soon for you to enjoy what you've got?? Anyway..... Happy Holidays, amigo!! What a beautiful guitar!!! :encouragement::encouragement:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats , nice looking woods .

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wow, what a score. other than the F312, this is the only other 12er I would consider buying. Just too many strings for a guy like me, but sure look awesome and powerful. no doubt a strumming machine.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah that bad boy looks new.. Nice find and a beautiful 12 er.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thanks very much, all. it will be at least a week or 2 before i have the chance to get her re-strung and find TwoCorgis and his NH F-512, the ultimate 12-string rosewood to compare it to. If the feel and/or tone are even remotely in the same conversation as his guitar, then she is a keeper!

also this is a 1980 G-312, but the original owner I got it from said she bought it in 1983...now here comes the twist...There was a Guild owners manual in the case for a 1983 Guild D-46 Blonde (serial number and all...). So, either there is a 1983 D-46 Blonde out there somewhere with my 1980 G-312 owners manual in the case, or...i don't know.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! Congratulations E! She's a beauty!!!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I still want to know about the Ovation ! I'm in both fan camps. The G312 looks so unused !

thanks John, the G-312 is an easy 9 out of 19, maybe 9+. it has been played, but not a whole lot.

the Ovation is a model 1117 made in Connecticut. cosmetically it is as clean as the Guild or cleaner, kinda looks new in that regard, very tall saddle. there is some belly behind the bridge which is not bad, but the top has dipped down a bit by the sound hole so its a little wavy. there are no cracks or creases though (that i recall)- its very clean. im thinking with some humidification the top may come back up in front of the bridge, and it will be in very fine condition if that happens- but its very playable right now.

later this week i should be able to start setting up humidification on both of them and get them restrung soon after

the top on the Guild is completely flat and minty as it looks. the saddle is not as high as the Ovation (its fine, i think!) but she told me its never been worked on.

OHSC on both- they are not quite as clean as the guitars, but they are looking pretty nice overall considering. the insides are super clean.

they both really need new strings!!

pics were limited due to my storage unit closing that night! barely got this all done!

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add I am definitely, definitely, not keeping the Ovation. I just don't play bowl-backed guitars and this one is an extreme example of that type of design. After I humidify it, I will have a better idea of its value. I was not planning on shipping it but if one of you is super hot for one of these, I would maybe consider. If an LTG member in the northeast USA is interested in it I would definitely rather not ship. It is not for sale yet but if anyone is interested in this model (1117) let me know! I can and do ship guitars, just prefer not to- mainly out of laziness- I feel like I should be able to find a buyer within reasonable proximity to the greater NY/NE area, ha. but i like u guys!

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That model # should be a Legend, which was just behind the Custom Legend as the top of the non Adamas line. Depending on the year, I think the bracing can have changed from the patterns they uses. I think it should have the A brace pattern.
Ovation%20A.jpg

If it hasn't been taken care of, it may need some humidity to get the top back level, however, I think due to the different than Martin style brace pattern, the top may not have the same flatness that your standard "flat top" will have. No braces going all the way across to keep it really flat. What pre-amp did it come with ?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What pre-amp did it come with ?

i did not see anywhere to plug in. it was purchased new in 1983. thanks for the bracing info. i found another online in the same condition as mine (the top). mine just needs humidity, i think. they were candid about it after i explained the nature of the beast "this one was in the living room where it gets hot and dry so that makes sense," she said.

kostask

Reaction score
This model of Ovation has the very thick finish on the soundboard, which is very prone to crack. It shoul also be a deep bowl back.I have an Ovation from that time period (a 1615 Pacemaker/Peacemaker), and the top finish is cracked as well.