A.D.D. Song writing issues ?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah so there I am , I’ve been working on a tune getting the music right or partly right lol but lyrics elude me . I know the flow of the musical aspect the lyrics should follow but wording it , no go .

Anyway I set up to record said song , give it a run through see how it sounds then record it or try to . You see in between takes I goof off and doodle stuff mostly in frustration of the failed past attempts and in this case I doodled and before I knew it I forgotten all about the original song and found myself recording something completely new .

I said to myself this is the CV-1 and I’ll just put this little doodle up as demo thing short and sweet but each take I kept fixing and changing and well .. ended up talking a few hours .

Did I get it done ? Nope I’m to picky and can’t have fat guys breathing and wheezing over the very delicate and softly played chords now can we ?
Of coarse the normal finger issues , one not listening and deciding to color outside the lines or another having memory issues and trying to play an older song lol

An after all that talking you’d think the tune is complicated nope simple as simple can be just can’t it right haha but I get it close and then post it .

So anyone else have said difficulty in writing or just an easy thing to do for you ? For me it’s always been work . 😁

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have to just write stuff down when I'm thinking of it, then I come back later to tie it together. I'm working on a Prineish kinda song presently, entitled "Nothin' Is Somethin' We Got A Lot Of 'Round Here." Once I have a theme or chorus line I can build on it. I have to keep coming back to it, adding, refining...

Neal

Reaction score
Two things, Ray.

One, you will be happy to know that I am finally recording, and will have some things to post in the near future.

Two, you are right that it is harder than it looks! I am learning that perfection can be the enemy of good.

As far a lyrics go, I keep a folder on my phone, and that is where I put song ideas/lyrics as they spring to mind, or come up in conversation. If I don't write them down, they are gone soon after. They accrue pretty fast. I probably have 200 or so song ideas in that folder currently.

Same thing goes for a cool riff or chord pattern. Once I find one I like, I set my iPad up in selfie video mode and take a short clip of the dittie, announcing the key, capo position and the tuning beforehand. I now have close to 100 of these potential songs on my iPad.

I write a song a week. First the riff, then the chords that support the riff, then the words.

Neal

Reaction score
I do have a question for you, Ray, about the Zoom H4N.

I am using both the onboard mics, and SM58/SM57 external mics, recording in 4 channel.

I have been thinking of trying multi-track recording, laying down the guitar first, overdubbing the voice, then perhaps overdubbing harmonies and a simple drum part. Have you ever tried this?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have to just write stuff down when I'm thinking of it, then I come back later to tie it together. I'm working on a Prineish kinda song presently, entitled "Nothin' Is Somethin' We Got A Lot Of 'Round Here." Once I have a theme or chorus line I can build on it. I have to keep coming back to it, adding, refining...
I never write anything down lol I always forget lol

I do have a question for you, Ray, about the Zoom H4N.

I am using both the onboard mics, and SM58/SM57 external mics, recording in 4 channel.

I have been thinking of trying multi-track recording, laying down the guitar first, overdubbing the voice, then perhaps overdubbing harmonies and a simple drum part. Have you ever tried this?

Not with the H4n .
Multi tracking ? Some of my ambient songs and a couple other run about 10 plus tracks but I don’t do drums not sure why ... I always hire my friends at TWO TRACK MUSIC to set me up and or collab .

If your recording at home I’d recommend for multi track recording that you invest in interface which runs about 200 bucks + -

Then buy Reaper for your laptop or Pc
The reason is A daw is built for multi tracking and editing and midi which drums are .

Reaper is a powerful fully functional Daw for like 60 or so bucks . It was my Second Daw Now I use Reason .

https://www.reaper.fm/

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
When I’m playing at home I keep my smartgizmo in my shirt pocket, mics facing up, with the Music Memo app ready to go. If something interesting happens I hit record. I find it helpful that the recording documents what I’m playing without being useful in a technical sense. When it comes to more formal recording I find I’m pretty good at putting myself in “play the part(s)” mode. :)

-Dave-

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i come up with "snippets of riffs" and somewhat "poetic thoughts" almost daily. I never record or write anything down. or remeber. partilally because i know the chances of me ever doing anything with any of it ever one day are basically very slim to very zero. Maybe one day I will put something together and show it to a professional, just for laughs.

And Ray sounds like you already have a good song in the works- A, D,D...throw in an "E" and you are on your way to a 1-4-5 blues jam!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And Ray sounds like you already have a good song in the works- A, D,D...throw in an "E" and you are on your way to a 1-4-5 blues jam!

Lol :)

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Yes, you ought to! With a computer, you have a recording studio! You only need a couple other things. (1) The software. There are a lot of choices! (2) An audio interface, typically via usb. This is a box between your instrument/mic and your computer. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface. Add to that Cubase Elements, which is <$100 on sale. I'm probably using about 5% of Cubase's capabilities, but I'm pretty happy with that!

I'd suggest laying down a simple drum part first. You don't even have to use it in the final mix, but it'll give you the tempo to stick to. You can add another drum track later.

It'll likely take a little figuring out to get recording with the software you get, but it's do-able!

griehund

Reaction score
There's an app you can put on your phone that lets you lay down 4 tracks. Songs come to me in lyric form first. Then I build around them. I'll have two or three complete songs in my head at most times and sing them to myself. Once I have them the way I want them I'll write out the lyrics. Words and melody usually happen together.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The H4N has a built-in click track to help with tempo. I have not used it yet.

It has effects as well , it’s a good tool for sure but really it’s better suited as a simple recorder as far as multi tracking goes its a pain to work with that little screen and side button to navigate on also when you get more then one track going you have start working the editing process so you need an editor to do that .

A Daw has all that onboard , over all it would easier to work with then the h4n in that regard if you want a better end result . Just my opinion of coarse .