Hercules 5 guitar stand

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
img_2828.jpg
Hi

When I was living in MN I built a stand for then three guitars - now the B30 fits in it, too.

So this was about 35 years ago. Still going strong. That duct tape has not marred any finish - usually I detest duct tape.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Holy crap!! I hope some of you folks are getting out of the house for a little sun and fresh air on occasion.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What is "sun" ???
61°29′53″N, 023°45′39″E

I was out - it was dark - mostly - besides - roaming basement and finding 35 years ago built guitar stand and taking picture and posting it keeps me away from evil deeds - like - err . . . . . Dang - getiing old makes one forget things - even evil.

marcellis

Reaction score
img_2828.jpg
Hi

When I was living in MN I built a stand for then three guitars - now the B30 fits in it, too.

So this was about 35 years ago. Still going strong. That duct tape has not marred any finish - usually I detest duct tape.

You have some beautiful guitars in your custom stand. Glad they withstand the weather up there.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
In our discussion about stands, someone mentioned, I think Adorshki, that it's a good idea to put felt on the surfaces of the stands whether floor or wall, to protect against finish problems. However, it appears that almost all felt generally available at fabric stores these days is made out of polyester, and not not wool. Is polyester good or bad for nitrocellulose finish?

RC

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have 25 or so wall hangers. I wrapped the foam rubber with black yarn. I don't know if it's wool, cotton or synthetic but I haven't had any issues yet.

My more upper end guitars stay in their cases but my players and less expensive guitars hang on the wall.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In our discussion about stands, someone mentioned, I think Adorshki, that it's a good idea to put felt on the surfaces of the stands whether floor or wall, to protect against finish problems.
Actually I think that was Walrus who does that himself IIRC.
Personally I'm against using stands at all, but for those who must, yes I might have repeated Walrus' caution.
However, it appears that almost all felt generally available at fabric stores these days is made out of polyester, and not not wool. Is polyester good or bad for nitrocellulose finish?
RC
Polyester is actually harder than NCL so there might be some danger of finish scuffing over time from repeated rubbing against the felt, depending on how the guitars are put into/out of the hangers or stands.
Otherwise never heard of any bad chemical interactions.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Personally I'm against using stands at all

A somewhat impractical stand to take (*snicker*) if you play outside the home and have to deal with no space for a case, case is in the next building, roadie is on break and so is not there to hand you the guitar, etc.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I emailed Hercules with the question about nitro and their stands' surfaces. This is their reply:
"The formula for our foam is proprietary so we cannot divulge the materials. With that said, we have tested the stands and they tested safe for nitrocellulose finishes."

RC

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A somewhat impractical stand to take (*snicker*) if you play outside the home and have to deal with no space for a case, case is in the next building, roadie is on break and so is not there to hand you the guitar, etc.

LIKE I Said:

Personally I'm against using stands at all, but for those who must, yes I might have repeated Walrus' caution.