NGD: Blue X3000

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That Jaguar engine is a work of art!
Precisely. The heart of the beast was intact. Everything surrounding it could be replaced or fabricated. Lemme tell ya the body was just as gorgeous as the engine, too.
Thus my analogy.

Given the choice, I would indeed keep it and have it repaired. It's too gorgeous to do anything but make it whole and though I'm no luthier, it seems to me that this is the sort of things that *if done right* would make the guitar playable like-new for damn-near ever without any further degradation, but it's gotta be done right.

And no, I have no idea who to talk to about that so any recommendations are welcome.

I'm sure our member Fixit'd be happy to at least give some preliminary telephone and/or internet assessment.
One of his very first posts was his vintage Starfire restoration, sadly the pics seem to have been lost in the great Photobucket F---kup.
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...67-Guild-Starfire-IV-restoration-(Pics)/page5
Trust me the finished work was every bit as beautiful as that X3000.
Fixit (Tom Jacobs) actually worked in Westerly too, and runs Jacobs Custom Guitars in Florida.
http://www.jacobscustomguitars.com/
DapmDave works there too.
This might be particularly relevant, from hi introductory post:
Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome, and a special thanks to dapmdave, bluesypicky and capnjuan for the cudos on the D-50.

One Westerly story, for now anyway. I had the job of cutting out necks on a band saw for a while. This would be the rough cutting prior to shaping, and occasionally one of the foremen would stop me and use my band saw to hack to pieces! a guitar that just wasn't up to Guild standards. Being a young man at the time, who wanted a Guild guitar so bad I could taste it, but couldn't afford one. I would spend the rest of the day looking at those pieces in the trash bin wondering if there was any way to put it back together. You can imagin how traumatic this must have been. Today I'm glad they did that, it speaks well of Guilds commitment to quality and we all get to enjoy some pretty amazing guitars because of it.

Thank again, and am looking forward to talking to all of you.

He became one of Cordoba's first authorized repair centers.
Several members have had their acoustics worked on by him too, and NOBODY has posted a dissatisfied word about him that I've ever seen.
Or a shipping damage issue.
The other guy I always try to remember to give equal time to is Chris Seeger who worked in New Hartford and also got glowing reviews for his work in the Nashville Custom Shop.
We did hear an announcement of his retirement a couple of months ago but here's the email he listed when he first posted notice of his availablility:
1978cjseeger@gmail.com
Certainly couldn't hurt to reach out, see if he's taking on special jobs.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sure Fixit'd be happy to at least give some preliminary telephone and/or internet assessment.
One of his very first posts was his vintage Starfire restoration, sadly the pics seem to have been lost in the great Photobucket F---kup.
Trust me the finished work was every bit as beautiful as that X3000.
Fixit (Tom Jacobs) actually worked in Westerly too, and runs Jacobs Guitars in Florida. DapmDave works there too.
He became one of Cordoba's first authorized repair centers.
Several members have had their acoustics worked on by him too, and NOBODY has posted a dissatisfied word about him that I've ever seen.
Or a shipping damage issue.
The other guy I always try to remember to give equal time to is Chris Seeger who worked in New Hartford and also got glowing reviews for his work in the Nashville Custom Shop.
We did hear an announcement of his retirement a couple of months ago but here's the email he listed when he first posted notice of his availablility:
1978cjseeger@gmail.com
Certainly couldn't hurt to reach out, see if he's taking on special jobs.

Good deal - thanks!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a pic. The pics don't do it justice.

5D3_7218.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Good deal - thanks!

Updated the post with a link to Fixit's website and other tidbits.

Here's a pic. The pics don't do it justice.

The first one was better in my opinion.
I mean, computer graphics guys are struggling to achieve that "psychedelic moire/clear running water eddies" effect and still nobody does it like mother nature.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The first one was better in my opinion.
I mean, computer graphics guys are struggling to achieve that "psychedelic moire/clear running water eddies" effect and still nobody does it like mother nature.

It has to do with the reflection of my backdrop. The reflection (even indirect) makes the grain look washed out. I know of ways to get rid of the reflection, but I don't have the right gear or space to do it right. It's much easier to manage with a closeup like the first one. I need a real studio.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know it has a crack in the neck and all but that guitar is just Flat Out Sexy! Probably the prettiest Electric I have ever seen from any period and any Manufacturer. You need to get that one fixed and then get tired of it in about 6 months so you can pass it on to me GAD, LOL!

TX

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Too bad! So beautiful …

I'd call Fixit (if I was in the US)!

Markus :smile:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
At least the headstock isn't broken off...looks to me like it could be glued, clamped and refinished in that spot, but I'm no luthier.

Good luck with your negotiations with the seller, the shipper, etc.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Please fix it. If you need folks to buy a few more of your books so you can afford the repairs I'm sure we can accommodate one commercial post for a good cause :)

If you're not gun-shy about shipping I'd sent it to Fixit in Florida.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Please fix it. If you need folks to buy a few more of your books so you can afford the repairs I'm sure we can accommodate one commercial post for a good cause :)

If you're not gun-shy about shipping I'd sent it to Fixit in Florida.

LOL - thanks. I's not the cost of the repair that concerns me. It's the damn-near impossible-to-calculate change in value that this guitar suffered. Les Paul guys often say that a guitar's value drops by half with a headstock repair. I don't know if that rule of thumb applies here, but I have to figure out if the cost of the repair is enough of a refund should I decide to keep it.

This guitar was not inexpensive, and I doubt I'd get back what I paid should I ever sell even if it gets fixed by the best. If this was a common guitar that would be one thing, but it's not just the cost of the repair involved here, but rather its value as an almost one-of-a-kind instrument that's been compromised, and given the nature of the multinational shipping (and customs) entities involved, I don't have a good feeling about how this will all shake out.

Additionally I don't see recourse through Paypal working well because most of what I've read online suggests that the result will be "ship it back for a full refund." I won't even get into the destroy the violin story.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry to see you going through this GAD. I also agree with your train of thought and the fact that the cost of the repair alone is not enough compensation for the damage the guitar has taken in overall value by being damaged. I know the ballpark figure the seller was asking for it in pristine shape and while I wouldn't think it lost half of the overall value after repairs, I would definitely think it has taken at least a 20%-40% hit in value. Unfortunately I don't see the seller or the insurance carrier shelling out $1000 over the cost of the repair for the diminished value. If you want to wash your hands of it, returning it may be the only way to recoup your investment. On the other hand since there isn't another one and probably won't be another one, Do you bite the bullet to save a piece of Guild History and not worry about the monetary side of things all the while knowing you are playing the Baddest Guitar on the Planet?

Personally I am a stickler for the bottom line and making sure you can get your money back out of it. However in this case the guitar is so rare and so beautiful that I feel it is the exception to the rule. If I myself were in your shoes I would get the repair paid for and try to get as much reimbursement as possible for diminished value. Then if it comes down to a gap of $500 or even more in value readjustment I would just chalk it up to price of getting to play that beauty day in and day out. Besides, Are you going to sell it in the next year anyway? Who knows? The value on it may not even be hurt at all considering it is probably one of one. If you think about it I am sure we all have taken a lot of other chances in life that weren't as pleasant as getting to play that Beautiful Guitar everyday.

Just some thoughts and I wish you the best no matter what you decide!

TX

bobouz

Reaction score
Personally, I think I'd go for the repair. It appears the blue neck finish is very dark, similar to my Gibson ES-330L, which is much darker than the Beal St. Blue body. If this had happened to the 330, I'd be fairly confident that having the dark neck finish would increase the probability of an almost invisible repair.

Excluding the neck break, what is the likelihood that you'll run across this model in this condition again? If it presents features you cannot find elsewhere & you love it otherwise, the cost of repair will be worth the added expense.

Finding the right person for the job will be the key. Look at their portfolio, and if they've got the experience, your confidence in a good outcome might soar.

Best of luck in getting a satisfying result!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can you take more pics of the damage (yes, it will hurt); from that one pic it looks more like the fretboard separates from the neck, rather than damage to the neck itself. That’s a lot easier to deal with. Of course, you may not know the full story until the fingerboard comes off.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, all.

TX, I don't see selling it unless something horrible happens and I desperately need the cash, but thankfully I think I'm in good shape there and have about 20 guitars I could sell first. :) I think the only way I could even get close to financial sanity on this guitar would be to return it for a full refund, but even then I'm sure I'd be out shipping. I think my gut reaction is to keep it and get it fixed. This guitar needs someone to care for it all of a sudden, and I think that person is me.

AcornHouse, I'm getting on a plane and can't do more investigation until later in the week, but I'll look at it. Honestly, though, I may just leave it and let a pro examine it.

So how did this happen? In my mind, two things are at fault: 1) The case does not sufficiently support the neck of this guitar, and 2) the seller did NOT pack it well. In fact, there was no packing in the case at all and the box that the case came in was not a standard guitar box. It was, as my shipper guy described it, "that cheap Chinese box stuff". I may push back on the seller for that especially because I specifically asked for it to be well packed and double boxed.

matsickma

Reaction score
Had my eye on two guitars the seller has and was thinking of "thinning the herd" and pursue the two that caught my eye.

That shipping issue is unacceptable from someone who has been in the guitar selling business for years.

I may never find duplicates but I am not going to do business with that seller.

M

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all.

TX, I don't see selling it unless something horrible happens and I desperately need the cash, but thankfully I think I'm in good shape there and have about 20 guitars I could sell first. :) I think the only way I could even get close to financial sanity on this guitar would be to return it for a full refund, but even then I'm sure I'd be out shipping. I think my gut reaction is to keep it and get it fixed. This guitar needs someone to care for it all of a sudden, and I think that person is me.

I am Glad to hear it GAD. From past experience those Special Guitars that we take the time fix and care for regardless of the financial aspect are some of my Favorites of all. That guitar deserves to be in the hands of a player/collector like yourself who appreciates it for more than just dollar signs. It needed a good home to take care of it and I am glad it found one in you my friend! I hope it is a lifetime guitar for you and gives you as much Joy as you give it. I can't wait to hear it and see it once you have it fixed! :encouragement:

TX

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
This fellow is in your state, although further south (I assume). He is also a LTG member (LTG handle is "Curt") who has done major repairs & restorations on many guitars:

http://oldschoolguitar.net/

That's a damn shame about the guitar. I can vouch for Curt's work - he reset the neck on my 6119 when I first bought it and his website has lots of pix of some serious repairs he's done.

jcwu

Reaction score
This post gave me flashbacks of Carvin catalogs - only prettier.

Very sorry Gary, looks like it's going back.

When it comes to beautiful guitars, I had the honor of getting to know Mike Shishkov during the course of the four LMG tours. Mike worked in the finishing department mostly, and has started making his own electrics since the plant closed. Some of them are just a sight to behold!

20121392_10208813542050698_2080987145042451505_o.jpg

17361513_2298649427027221_3403864827986443036_n.jpg

17103502_10212486433139090_5590593958356683665_n.jpg

Even in fuchsia!

15036300_2205574243001407_7632757252328307414_n.jpg

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Awww, man! Just seeing this now GAD. That is truly one beautiful beast, and I feel horrible that it suffered damage in transit. My wife once bought me an amazing blue Les Paul that arrived with a headstock break because the bonehead seller didn't loosen tension on the strings or pack it properly. I'm really am surprised that this particular dealer failed to ship properly.

I know this is no consolation regarding the value, but from a playability standpoint, a lot of guitars do have better tone after a repaired headstock break. And from the looks of the damage, an expert repair may make it almost unnoticeable. From a value perspective, it may give more cred to the repair to have Fixit work his magic, given his Guild pedigree.

Still looking forward to the photo and review!