A Quick D25 Hog Hit

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's ridiculous how good the D25 all hog flatback is - not even factoring in price.

That is all.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Honestly never played one, only arched back. I know they get love here and I think they are beautiful guits. D25's might just have to win overall best bang for buck against any brand. They are dynamos and you can still find them between $500 - $700. My best sounding guitar ever was a 1979 cherry red D-25 and I have owned D-50, D-30, a few realy good Chinese GADs and it beat them all. Had significant neck issues and a failed attempt at a re-set. Sold it. Dynamite guitar. Dark and loud. I sold the same guy my D-30 here recently. Sooooooooo yes cant beat a D-25.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's ridiculous how good the D25 all hog flatback is - not even factoring in price.

That is all.

While I have been known to complain about mine, last night as I was playing the Br thru the PA, in the mix of full band, and I was able to hear it out in the larger area, I too was amazed by its great tone. and all I got is a simple passive K&K mini pup, not a whole lot of touchup at the soundboard either.

and I been using these 4-6 week old cheap Martin PB light gauge strings. the strings cost me $2.85. the D25 Br was $225 back in 1971. I paid $500 for it 4 or 5 years ago. I have put like $700 into it, a neck reset, some other stuff along the way.

I have no real explanation for the Guild model's greatness even as its low end dread, it is a Guild, that is the answer.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
While I have been known to complain about mine, last night as I was playing the Br thru the PA, in the mix of full band, and I was able to hear it out in the larger area, I too was amazed by its great tone. and all I got is a simple passive K&K mini pup, not a whole lot of touchup at the soundboard either.

and I been using these 4-6 week old cheap Martin PB light gauge strings. the strings cost me $2.85. the D25 Br was $225 back in 1971. I paid $500 for it 4 or 5 years ago. I have put like $700 into it, a neck reset, some other stuff along the way.

I have no real explanation for the Guild model's greatness even as its low end dread, it is a Guild, that is the answer.

And how about the arch back D25M's ?.....or arch back D-25's? Similarly great?...or is this just among the flat back models?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And how about the arch back D25M's ?.....or arch back D-25's? Similarly great?...or is this just among the flat back models?

they are both great, and one day I hope to own an arched back D25, as most of those have spruce tops. Big loud sound too. The flats are darker in sound, not as loud, but definitely cuts thru well and gritty. Sound being so objective of course :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A '79 like D30man mentions would be a spruce-topped archback which would be by far the most common type, built from at least '76-97.
An all-hog archback would be the rarest having be built for only approximately 2-3 years roughly '73-'74 but we've seen some "outliers" from that range.
Corona D25's ('02-'03) were also all-hog flatbacks.
Most D25 owners love their D25(s) regardless of configuration.
Mine was my Guild gateway drug.
But I have to admit I'm starting to love my D40 equally.
Primary difference is it's a flatback while my '25's an archback.
Otherwise they're both hog-body spruce top dreads.
If you like Neapolitan ice cream bars (I do) then you'd want one of each of the 3 configurations.
:friendly_wink:

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
An Archback D25 was my first good guitar back in the early 70's. I picked another one up a few years back but wound up selling it due to the narrow nut width. Still looking for a D-25 or D-30 with a wider nut to fill the Guild slot in my stable.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What are the D25 specs ?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What are the D25 specs ?

In which week of which year?

Standard Guild dreadnought body 15-3/4" lower bout***; 5" depth***; 25-5/8 scale; rosewood bridge/fretboard; mahogany neck, 1-11/16 nut.
*** give or take some fractions according to build year/variations in tooling

'68-'72 approx.: Solid mahogany back sides and top (flatback)
'72-74 approx.: transitional period in which both all-mahogany archbacks and spruce-topped 'hog-bodied archbacks were produced after the hog-topped archbacks, but it looks like most of the all-hog archbacks were made in '73 and that both tops were available in '74. Don't know if it was due to offering "top options" or just overlapped production.
'74 approx to '01: arched mahogany back/sides, spruce top. Have seen all hog archbacks from this period including just 1 from '76, but may have been old factory inventory or "top options" as mentioned above.
'02-'03: All 'hog flatback formula revived in Corona
'04: replaced by GADD25 all-hog flatback
Nut and saddle: yes
Frets: yes
Tuning machines: yes.
Optional combination ashtray/bottle-cap opener: Aftermarket installed by RayK inc.

Finish colors: Natural, Cherry, Black, Brown, Woodgrain Red, Yellow, Trans Red, Sunburst, Mahogany.
Blue:
180293975759-1.jpg

Corona colors including Trans (or Woodgrain?) Blue, Seafoam, and Trans White(?):
guild-d25-14599.jpg

Honey Blonde:
guild_d25hblfm1.jpg

Transparent White:
bwk70vbwmxvple0xsjf3.jpg

Not sure if those two are actually the same color under different lighting, and Corona's lack of color ID on label makes it difficult to tell.
In any case have only seen these pics of that color(s), so must be pretty rare.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree they are probably the best vintage dread for the $. Lots of love for my arch-back spruce top D-25M over here; she'll stand in there with a bluegrass banjo all night long.

Neal

Reaction score
I finally invested $40 in a pawn shop HSC for my '71 D-25 flatback today. It has never had one in the seven years I have owned it.

It sits next to me at work all day, leaning up against a bookshelf. Perfect recipe for a headstock break.

I figured it deserved some protection. Wonderful, dry, warm guitar.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I finally invested $40 in a pawn shop HSC for my '71 D-25 flatback today. It has never had one in the seven years I have owned it.

It sits next to me at work all day, leaning up against a bookshelf. Perfect recipe for a headstock break.

I figured it deserved some protection. Wonderful, dry, warm guitar.

Good deal. I assume it is your "grab it in a moment of boredom" guitar...